2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great day at 28-6, was expecting to be fending off pinks all day, but came home with two nice nooks, 78-80cm’s , one hatch Coho and one pink. Herring aid combo with chovie on one side and lemonLime with ghost flash fly on the other, fishing riggers at 45&65’

Attachments

• IMG_2497.jpeg
    IMG_2497.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 105
Ran Port Hardy - Secret cove today on our way back to Port Moody . Got In at around 630 picked up a friend , got our rationed 12 live herring and went and anchored up on epsom . 150’ line , HOT bite , never had a herring make it to my preferred depth without getting hit on the way down . Ended with 8 springs , all handsome size , releasing 7 and retaining one for our guest , 80cm on the nose . We also jigged some flat falls after we ran out of bait , picked up this 88cm hali ! Second strait of Georgia halibut on the slow pitch jigs in a month ! Pretty proud of that

Attachments

• 2535CAC6-39E7-4D7B-A328-0B28DF6E2287.jpeg
    2535CAC6-39E7-4D7B-A328-0B28DF6E2287.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 168
We dropped some prawn traps in Howe sound yesterday in our usual winter spots. They didnt perform that great. Dropped a couple south of bowen, got a huge octupus and a few prawns. All in all prawning wasnt great, 60 prawns total. Octupus ceviche for lunch today lol.

Bumpy ride out to gower point, trolled to camp bing and back a few times, released a couple wild coho on the white hoochie and an under chinook on a cop car. Made our way back to the south west tip of Bowen to get our limit of pinks, put on a short leadered sockeye pink squirt and couldnt keep them off the line. By the end of today they ll all be in jars. Gonna try canning some octupus as well👍

Fished 28-6 yesterday morning, started out pretty lumpy with really strong current, but it mellowed out later in the morning. Took home a 70cm nook on a spoon. One undersized and pinks used up all the anchovies.

This other boat was running five downrigger somehow, I don't think anyone was driving either lol.

Stopped by Cates park in the afternoon and RCMP was doing boating license checks. From what I overheard walking past other groups of boaters launching, they were being lenient. "Im not going to turn you around today, but if you get stopped on the water you can get a ticket". Also heard one of the cops say to an adult "If the motor is over 10hp, you need a boating license". I don't know if that's accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_9232.jpeg
    IMG_9232.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Fished 28-3 yesterday morning, started out pretty lumpy with really strong current, but it mellowed out later in the morning. Took home a 70cm nook on a spoon. One undersized and pinks used up all the anchovies.

This other boat was running five downrigger somehow, I don't think anyone was driving either lol.

Stopped by Cates park in the afternoon and RCMP was doing boating license checks. From what I overheard walking past other groups of boaters launching, they were being lenient. "Im not going to turn you around today, but if you get stopped on the water you can get a ticket". Also heard one of the cops say to an adult "If the motor is over 10hp, you need a boating license". I don't think that was accurate lolll
28-3?

What a great day at 28-6, was expecting to be fending off pinks all day, but came home with two nice nooks, 78-80cm’s , one hatch Coho and one pink. Herring aid combo with chovie on one side and lemonLime with ghost flash fly on the other, fishing riggers at 45&65’
Nice fish. I had a 78cm spring yesterday as well. around 6pm the bite came on east of Atkinson but went home for dinner. Released a 61.5cm as well.

The spring on the right looks like a nice peahead. Was the one on the left a red as well? Hard to tell from the pic. Both look like peaheads though. Mine was a peahead too

Last edited:
Fished 28-6 yesterday morning, started out pretty lumpy with really strong current, but it mellowed out later in the morning. Took home a 70cm nook on a spoon. One undersized and pinks used up all the anchovies.

Stopped by Cates park in the afternoon and RCMP was doing boating license checks. From what I overheard walking past other groups of boaters launching, they were being lenient. "Im not going to turn you around today, but if you get stopped on the water you can get a ticket". Also heard one of the cops say to an adult "If the motor is over 10hp, you need a boating license". I don't think that was accurate lolll

The 10 hp number is accurate.

The boat you pictured is a well known guide boat and yep- he fishes 5 riggers...easily. Boat is on autopilot...he has the control on his necklace.

150’ line , HOT bite , never had a herring make it to my preferred depth without getting hit on the way down . Ended with 8 springs , all handsome size , releasing 7 and retaining one for our guest , 80cm on the nose .
Has anyone ever tried for chinook jigging with herring that's not live? I'm curious as to whether it works well?

Has anyone ever tried for chinook jigging with herring that's not live? I'm curious as to whether it works well?
Not sure if it works well, but last weekend while fishing the gulf islands (on the outside by Saturna) we were bottom fishing in 85’ water, I had a swim jig and my buddy had a big ol herring (8-9”). Chinook took the herring 5’ from bottom, line went slack, and was airborne within a few seconds. After a minute of sheer madness (couple short runs/jumps and me scrambling for the net) we landed it. Ended up being a 69cm
My grampa used to mooch with dead herring for spring with good success back in the day, active pass area.

The 10 hp number is accurate.

The boat you pictured is a well known guide boat and yep- he fishes 5 riggers...easily. Boat is on autopilot...he has the control on his necklace.
He seemed to have everything under control. I can barely manage two.

According to transport Canada, HP restriction is for youths. Adults need a license for any powered vessel.

Attachments

• IMG_9254.png
    IMG_9254.png
    236.1 KB · Views: 8
Not sure if it works well, but last weekend while fishing the gulf islands (on the outside by Saturna) we were bottom fishing in 85’ water, I had a swim jig and my buddy had a big ol herring (8-9”). Chinook took the herring 5’ from bottom, line went slack, and was airborne within a few seconds. After a minute of sheer madness (couple short runs/jumps and me scrambling for the net) we landed it. Ended up being a 69cm
My grampa used to mooch with dead herring for spring with good success back in the day, active pass area.
Love the Active pass days. Jigging liveys in the ebb and using them as cut plug in the tide flow, motor mooching with other boats in a formation. The fun part is playing a fish while slowly backing up to get away from the boats

Took the morning ferry over and hopped on a friends boat in gibsons. Started late morning at gower, it was a bit lumpy to start but manageable. Released a couple of pinks and 5 wild coho but didn’t manage any hatcheries or chinook there.

In the afternoon we tucked in behind paisley island for lunch and a swim before heading out to south Bowen for a little evening shift. Released a couple nice Chinook that we wished we had found a couple miles north and more wild coho and pinks. Great day on the water even though we didn’t find any of our intended targets

Thanks A-a-ron. Sounds like it works to me! I'll give it a shot with a jigging rod while trolling.

Nice fish. I had a 78cm spring yesterday as well. around 6pm the bite came on east of Atkinson but went home for dinner. Released a 61.5cm as well.

The spring on the right looks like a nice peahead. Was the one on the left a red as well? Hard to tell from the pic. Both look like peaheads though. Mine was a peahead too
What is a Peahead chinook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back