2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FishingBC App does this - Sport Fishing Institute's app is available for Apple and Android. And it's tracking to be a legal license as well, no more paper needed. You can record your Chinook, Ling, and Hali all on the platform and it will be legal in the near future.

Plus you have location specific regulations for the various species you are targeting.
I like the fishingbc app but find people really struggle with understanding the actual regs based on how they are displayed (too much info is shown with no connection to your actual location/zone).

The FishingBC App does this - Sport Fishing Institute's app

Plus you have location specific regulations for the various species you are targeting.
Agreed. I see that many are not using the specific sub area option to get critical information correct. Example: not using 28-6 and chinook only and instead using the bulk 28 with multiple species for yesterdays chinook opening locally in Vancouver. Narrow it down to your exact area of choice, pick the single species in question, and it will raise the accuracy of the information.

Can the fishingbc app display boundaries for areas that have fishing restrictions or are closed to fishing (e.g. Rockfish Conservation Areas, Glass Sponge Reef, Southern Resident Killer Whale)? Would be nice to have these as layers.

Can the fishingbc app display boundaries for areas that have fishing restrictions or are closed to fishing (e.g. Rockfish Conservation Areas, Glass Sponge Reef, Southern Resident Killer Whale)? Would be nice to have these as layers.
It doesn't show your location on GPS. That's up to you. But the boundaries are on Navonics. It'd be nice if they teamed up with Navonics to have GPS locations and what not.

If anyone is still thinking of crossing to the Thrasher/Entrance area this weekend, here is the latest report from the Harbour Chandler folks.

Tyee Time and Area 14 increased limit.​

Posted by Steve Vavrik on 2023 Aug 2nd

Tyee Chinook and big Coho are showing up on the East Side of Vancouver Island. From Port Hardy to Cowichan fishermen are seeing many more large Chinook than we have for long time. Additionally the Coho are more plentiful, and larger than we normally see.
Reports from the North Island and Charlottes indicate another big push of large Chinook are making their way south, so the good fishing is expected to continue for the rest of the season.
Best lures for the East side of the Island have been 3" Killy Magee paired with Green Jelly Flasher.
Jiggers are doing well with a funny new shad jig called a Clarkspoon Pogie. It has been working well for both Coho and Chinook.
The big news for the week is an increase in the Chinook limit to 2 fish in parts of Area 14. (Comox to French Creek area)
The fisheries notice states: "Effective 00:01 hours August 5, 2023, until 23:59 hours August 31, 2023, the daily limit of Chinook Salmon is two (2) per day, with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook in the following waters:
Subareas 14-7, 14-8, 14-9, 14-10, 14-15, and
Those portions of 14-4 and 14-5 southwest of a line from Flora Islet Light (49°31.055?N, 124°34.573?W) to French Creek Breakwater Light (49°21.097?N, 124°21.278?W)."
Slot limit remains in effect.
On the West side Barkley Sound is finally kicking off up with big fish showing up right in the Sound itself. Bamfield and Ucluelet are very hot right now, and with the highway issues there are less congestion and other fishermen to contend with. The highway delays are not too bad if you time it right, and right now the fishing is well worth it.
Best lures have been purple UV teaser heads, 3" Goldstar Glow Cop Car spoons, the Big Eye Spoon called Barkley Beast paired with Purple Footloose flasher.
Nootka is now experiencing the same algae bloom that Barkley had for the last few weeks. It looks like turquoise glacier water, and the fishing has slowed right down. Bright Chartreus glow spoons are still working in this water with limited visibility.
Also remember, I you want to see or purchase any of the gear mentioned in my report, click the blue highlighted text. You can also purchase them online and we will either ship them or have them waiting for you in the store for pick-up. This is often faster and easier when the store is busy.
Tips up,
Steve Vavrik
steve@harbourchandler.ca

What a clusterfk. These days I prefer to consult with knowledgeable friends rather than try to decipher the regs. I suspect if anyone gets a citation, they can submit this thread in court to show what a joke the way the "rules" are posted.

Gowan tuesday/Wednesday - lots of pinks & hatch coho Tuesday. Wednesday - pinks were slower for me, released ~10 wild coho, 1 pink to the boat, couldnt find a hatch coho. Headed over to 28-6 for afternoon troll. 1 jack (released), 1 slot size - 60' skinny G.
Did you use traditional pink gear, or white hoochies, and pink were biting regardless?

If anyone is still thinking of crossing to the Thrasher/Entrance area this weekend, here is the latest report from the Harbour Chandler folks.

Tyee Time and Area 14 increased limit.​

Posted by Steve Vavrik on 2023 Aug 2nd

Tyee Chinook and big Coho are showing up on the East Side of Vancouver Island. From Port Hardy to Cowichan fishermen are seeing many more large Chinook than we have for long time. Additionally the Coho are more plentiful, and larger than we normally see.
Reports from the North Island and Charlottes indicate another big push of large Chinook are making their way south, so the good fishing is expected to continue for the rest of the season.
Best lures for the East side of the Island have been 3" Killy Magee paired with Green Jelly Flasher.
Jiggers are doing well with a funny new shad jig called a Clarkspoon Pogie. It has been working well for both Coho and Chinook.
The big news for the week is an increase in the Chinook limit to 2 fish in parts of Area 14. (Comox to French Creek area)
The fisheries notice states: "Effective 00:01 hours August 5, 2023, until 23:59 hours August 31, 2023, the daily limit of Chinook Salmon is two (2) per day, with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook in the following waters:
Subareas 14-7, 14-8, 14-9, 14-10, 14-15, and
Those portions of 14-4 and 14-5 southwest of a line from Flora Islet Light (49°31.055?N, 124°34.573?W) to French Creek Breakwater Light (49°21.097?N, 124°21.278?W)."
Slot limit remains in effect.
On the West side Barkley Sound is finally kicking off up with big fish showing up right in the Sound itself. Bamfield and Ucluelet are very hot right now, and with the highway issues there are less congestion and other fishermen to contend with. The highway delays are not too bad if you time it right, and right now the fishing is well worth it.
Best lures have been purple UV teaser heads, 3" Goldstar Glow Cop Car spoons, the Big Eye Spoon called Barkley Beast paired with Purple Footloose flasher.
Nootka is now experiencing the same algae bloom that Barkley had for the last few weeks. It looks like turquoise glacier water, and the fishing has slowed right down. Bright Chartreus glow spoons are still working in this water with limited visibility.
Also remember, I you want to see or purchase any of the gear mentioned in my report, click the blue highlighted text. You can also purchase them online and we will either ship them or have them waiting for you in the store for pick-up. This is often faster and easier when the store is busy.
Tips up,
Steve Vavrik
steve@harbourchandler.ca
Starting to see so many so close and OVER the 80 cm that in a couple of weeks it will be C&R again but I guess just more fun.

Gower tuesday/Wednesday - lots of pinks & hatch coho Tuesday. Wednesday - pinks were slower for me, released ~10 wild coho, 1 pink to the boat, couldnt find a hatch coho. Headed over to 28-6 for afternoon troll. 1 jack (released), 1 slot size - 60' skinny G.
I'd imagine a lot of guys will be swinging by 28-6 on the way too, or back from, wherever they're fishing now lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back