2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking online I do t see any notices for chinook

with yah ! 8 landed, 3 in the box , lost 4 .
Ended the day at 1pm . Total 13 to the boat . 5 in the box . And landed a nice 14 lb chinook . Super flat out there today. Counted 34 boats. Harder fishing today. Moving to the west coast for the next couple months.
Tight lines guys !

Coming back from Bamfield on the ferry late today it looked as though the focus based on boat numbers had switched to Cowan?

Here is a post from last Aug 1, 2022. Perhaps an updated set of regs is coming for that area when we get closer to Aug 1, 2023?

Screenshot 2023-07-15 113609.jpg

Believe that IFMP had 28- opening Aug 1 again this year.
Highwater replied on another forum and said that it most likely will be, but he didn’t want to put it in yet, because they don’t have the notice. They expect it to be updated closer to the date.

Highwater replied on another forum and said that it most likely will be, but he didn’t want to put it in yet, because they don’t have the notice. They expect it to be updated closer to the date.
Map not entirely correct. No Area 28 notice yet, but FN0664 (July 13) releases the Southern Salmon IFMP, and the Southern Salmon IFMP has "Subarea 28-9 (Tidal waters proximal to the Capilano River mouth) August 12 to August 31: One (1) Chinook per day." What it doesn't have is a 28-6 Aug 1st opening this year. Was in the draft and has been removed.

Map not entirely correct. No Area 28 notice yet, but FN0664 (July 13) releases the Southern Salmon IFMP, and the Southern Salmon IFMP has "Subarea 28-9 (Tidal waters proximal to the Capilano River mouth) August 12 to August 31: One (1) Chinook per day." What it doesn't have is a 28-6 Aug 1st opening this year. Was in the draft and has been removed.
you can go to the Facebook Highwater page and see their reasoning for doing what they did for now.

No luck at Entrance first light so pulled gear around 8:30am, 25min crossing to Gower at 36 knots, flat calm. Fished Gower 9am-1pm, targeting spring with chovy & skinny G at 70-100 depth. Trolling slow too, like 1.7-2 knots. Managed 4 hatch coho but no springs til finally a 64cm right before it was time to pull them up. Wish I coulda found another one but I’ll take the 5 fish :cool: Nothing picture worthy I guess, lol. The boy is getting pretty good at working the gear. Getting spoiled out there the last little bit.

Last edited:
Fished the late morning through the afternoon. Trolled from Cowan to almost Gower. I went 1 for 5. One Hatchery coho at 80' on an AP Herring army truck 3". 2 wild to the boat west of RC on a slip weight and 3" Apex in rainbow/watermelon type colour. Then I lost the whole rig on another while reeling in to pack up and leave! Note to self.....switch out your old line.
Had another pin popper on the rigger but it spat the hook. 45' and way out west. Almost to Gower. Saw herring, and coho chasing them. Could not get the jig out there fast enough. But it was fishy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back