2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick real time update, and I'm around roberts creek...it's ripping out SE on this side and it is not fishable, no boats out front including mine. I have to run to Vancouver today too, and won't be unless this lays down.

I hate the 5-15 forecast. 5 is almost flat and 15 can be pretty lumpy. When you have a boat that is on the smaller side, it doesn't help much. You should check other apps like Windy for a more dialed in forecast. Then compare.
^This^
You’d think Environment Canada could do better than a standard 5-15 forecast. That’s a fun to no-fun range especially when the Northwesterlies have 25-30 miles behind them by the time they reach Entrance Island.
I have found Big Wave Dave and Windfinder to be the most helpful in narrowing it down.

Cowan was dead for us today, unlike yesterday. Picked up and went to RC. Lots of hits right away. About 80% were wild and safely released at the side of the boat. Lots of boats out there right now.
I forgot to mention the hits were pretty consistent so we didn’t feel like stacking. Rigged this up for a third, centre rod. A size 0 deep six, short leader, tinny flasher, short leader and the hootchie. It seemed like an option at the time and it produced fish.

Attachments

• 03E8450C-8A4B-4685-881E-3691AFF867C5.jpeg
    03E8450C-8A4B-4685-881E-3691AFF867C5.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 123
I forgot to mention the hits were pretty consistent so we didn’t feel like stacking. Rigged this up for a third, centre rod. A size 0 deep six, short leader, tinny flasher, short leader and the hootchie. It seemed like an option at the time and it produced fish.
Nice! Any guess at your depth?

Nice! Any guess at your depth?
The #0 is suppose to go down 40' and the #1 down 60' but who knows with the currents, speed and how much line you put out. All I know is it never tangled on the down rigger lines and it hooked coho. Now if it could increase our terrible catch rate :confused:. We lost a lot of fish close to the boat on all rods.

Last edited:
The #0 is suppose to go down 40' and the #1 down 60' buy who knows with the currents, speed and how much line you put out. All I know is it never tangled on the down rigger lines and it hooked coho. Now if it could increase our terrible catch rate :confused:. We lost a lot of fish close to the boat on all rods.
At first, my guests were losing many at the time the flasher would pop out of the water, and the pull on the rod would increase and it was ripping the hook out of the mouth. So I’ve got them all now diligently watching when the flasher is about to pierce the surface, and they back off on their pull, and it increased the catch at the boat dramatically. I’m sure you know this though.

At first, my guests were losing many at the time the flasher would pop out of the water, and the pull on the rod would increase and it was ripping the hook out of the mouth. So I’ve got them all now diligently watching when the flasher is about to pierce the surface, and they back off on their pull, and it increased the catch at the boat dramatically. I’m sure you know this though.
Only by doing it wrong so many times. Still pretty new at this game so the info shared on this forum has helped a ton!

Only by doing it wrong so many times. Still pretty new at this game so the info shared on this forum has helped a ton!
The whole website is wonderful for knowledge, but I find the salt water fishing forms to be really interesting. Lots of former commercial fisherman on here that are sharing stuff from years gone by that’s still relevant today plus new tricks and tips and fishing spots are always being shared.

Well we limited out. Back home now. I guess my grandkids will get Coho for dinner tonight. Got pretty rough out there and was a battle getting back.

Tried playing a triple header by myself as my buddy was trying hard to keep us into the wind. Lost them all so put two lines back down and immediately had a double header. These ones../

Attachments

• 5DBC3B1A-00AA-4C07-B02F-0BB6D87F7650.jpeg
    5DBC3B1A-00AA-4C07-B02F-0BB6D87F7650.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 193
Well we limited out. Back home now. I guess my grandkids will get Coho for dinner tonight. Got pretty rough out there and was a battle getting back.

Tried playing a triple header by myself as my buddy was trying hard to keep us into the wind. Lost them all so put two lines back down and immediately had a double header. These ones../
beauty fish

Heading towards Cowan/South Bowen for a bit. See ya out there
Was the first out here at 5:20am. 3/3 hatch coho by 6:30am then the bite slowed down…. 60 boats here now at CRC. Currently over the rain city trough, heading to the hump. Laid right down, beauty now

Edit: finished er off with fish #4 around 9:45am at the hump with a nice chunky hatch. Gotta love that Cohocaine in the morning.
D9AA7877-F1E9-43F9-B1C2-87AE51C960AB.jpeg39A1478C-4C9B-4974-8F0C-06E2FCBFCF3D.jpegE65FAEF0-AA57-4F8D-89A1-2590141417EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back