2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
good morning at Epsom with the nephew. Out at 7am and back to the dock at 8am with our 2 hatchery coho. had to release 5-6 wilds in between getting that last one, including an absolute tank of a wild coho (11-12lbs). The ones we bonked were in the 5-6lb range so pretty decent as well. 44-55 on the rigger white hootchies. let 2 really nice springs go as well. Great start to the day.

good morning at Epsom with the nephew. Out at 7am and back to the dock at 8am with our 2 hatchery coho. had to release 5-6 wilds in between getting that last one, including an absolute tank of a wild coho (11-12lbs). The ones we bonked were in the 5-6lb range so pretty decent as well. 44-55 on the rigger white hootchies. let 2 really nice springs go as well. Great start to the day.
Sounds like a perfect morning! Where is Epsom?

Sounds like a perfect morning! Where is Epsom?
it's on Thormanby island near secret cove... just realized that I shoulda posted this report in a different thread at Sechelt is the cut off for Vancouver area reports. apologies admin.

Fished South Bowen Thursday, starting at 11 AM and was able to bring in limit of hatchery Coho for myself and three kids on the boat. Released a few wild cohos as well. 45 feet white Hoochie was hitting well. On a side note when we returned to the launch at Vanier, I see that I have received a ticket. When I got there in the morning, I tried to use my regular app and it was discontinued so I proceeded to pay for my truck at the machine by Visa and got that successfully. The license plate on the fine was for the trailer? Does anybody pay twice for a truck and trailer? it is only one spot?
I have been parking at Vanier for years and I have never entered my trailer license plate number. Then I saw the easy park guy driving in and asked him, he said it was his company’s policy that both vehicles purchase a ticket? What a joke.

Fished South Bowen Thursday, starting at 11 AM and was able to bring in limit of hatchery Coho for myself and three kids on the boat. Released a few wild cohos as well. 45 feet white Hoochie was hitting well. On a side note when we returned to the launch at Vanier, I see that I have received a ticket. When I got there in the morning, I tried to use my regular app and it was discontinued so I proceeded to pay for my truck at the machine by Visa and got that successfully. The license plate on the fine was for the trailer? Does anybody pay twice for a truck and trailer? it is only one spot?
I have been parking at Vanier for years and I have never entered my trailer license plate number. Then I saw the easy park guy driving in and asked him, he said it was his company’s policy that both vehicles purchase a ticket? What a joke.
I call BS on that. Who buys two tickets for one spot?

I hate the 5-15 forecast. 5 is almost flat and 15 can be pretty lumpy. When you have a boat that is on the smaller side, it doesn't help much. You should check other apps like Windy for a more dialed in forecast. Then compare.
I like the predictwind app or website. The ECMWF model has been pretty accurate the times I've relied on it over the last year or so.

As for tomorrow an ebb tide and a SE wind will make it lumpy mid morning onwards. Predictwind current has the wind settling down after 3:00PM and with the slack ebb at 4:20 should be calm conditions for an evening fish. Sunday is looking like the lighter wind day. But that can change.

Planning to fish south Bowen tomorrow am. Thoughts on marine forecast 5-15 knots ?
Windy is showing it blowing close to 15 all morning before laying down. At least with a NW there are a few places you can hide, not so much with a southeasterly.

I'd look at the buoy reports in the morning for the current conditions and make a call.

I was out there today at Roger Curtis and the bluffs just before it. Got there around 10-10:30. I caught a legal coho...but small...so thinking the fishing was going to be good. I let it go. That was a mistake! I trolled all over and didn't get another fish, a small spring just before I left at 3:30. I also ended up losing my tri flasher (that Nakusp Secondary students made). That sucks. It seemed to work great. Must have been a swivel failure.
But a good days fishing anyway. 3" AP Herring in Glow/UV army truck was my spoon.
It was pretty lumpy out there in my 16.5' boat. But manageable. Not sure if I'd always make the run from Port Moody in those conditions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back