2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At one point last night there was a coho slashing along the surface chasing bait right beside us. I thought for sure he’d go for the fly as he was only about 10’ off our port side when we saw him, but no dice. Had another swirl at the cannonball beside the boat as I was resetting a line. Was trolling quite quickly so the finned ball was weaving back and forth and I guess drew him in. Thought he might go for the fly, too. But sadly - no. It’ll be a hoot when it happens though. I’m going to put a blade in front of it next time to give it a little more buzz.
That little blade is a game changer

Anyone out there at South Bowen? Conditions? Planning to head out in an hour.

Calm now. 4 missed hits so far! It’s like I’m fishing with hookless hootchies!

End of Day Update: limit of 8 clipped fish in the boat, about another 8 unclipped fish released and at least another 15+ hits that did not stick or long line released. it was rare to go more that 10 minutes without a hit.

What is strange is that half the fish had good size anchovies in their stomachs, while the other half were chock-a-block full of krill. I guess different schools are focusing on different bait. Also, while trolling there were a few times the rods started bouncing as we went through anchovy schools that were 20' deep from a depth of 10' to 30'. As we went through them we could see a few jumping on the surface.

Lots of boats out there today. I guess everybody is too busy cleaning fish to write a report?

Last edited:
Anyone out there at South Bowen? Conditions? Planning to head out in an hour.

Calm now. 4 missed hits so far! It’s like I’m fishing with hookless hootchies!

End of Day Update: limit of 8 clipped fish in the boat, about another 8 unclipped fish released and at least another 15+ hits that did not stick or long line released. it was rare to go more that 10 minutes without a hit.

What is strange is that half the fish had good size anchovies in their stomachs, while the other half were chock-a-block full of krill. I guess different schools are focusing on different bait. Also, while trolling there were a few times the rods started bouncing as we went through anchovy schools that were 20' deep from a depth of 10' to 30'. As we went through them we could see a few jumping on the surface.

Lots of boats out there today. I guess everybody is too busy cleaning fish to write a report?
Next time you see that, stop and jig it!

Fished the west side of Epsom Point last night from 6:30 to 8:30 with lots of action on wild coho, wild chinook and a few hatchery coho mixed in.

Kept the rods up at 45’ and 65’ and tried to troll fast but still found a few chinook we quickly released, one in the 20lbs neighbourhood.

Bait was thick in vertical columns and balls. Depths holding most fish seemed to be from 90' to 140’.

3 keeper hatchery coho to send home with our friends, all full of small bait (needlefish?).

IMG_6725.jpeg

One of those magic shifts on the water where going 10 minutes between fish seems slow.

Last edited:
Anyone hitting coho off Pt. Atkinson or elsewhere in English bay where it might be a little more protected?
I tried the other night at the tide change, not even a hit. Mostly between the pink apartment and the river. Coho gear and speed.

Fished south side of Bowen this afternoon. We were fishing at 25 ft on the riggers and caught 9 fish. Mix of wild coho and springs. White hoochie with a flash skirt was working great.
Flash skirt was the hot side for us too. 18 to the boat, 6 hatch ho in the box, the rest were one clipped chinook and wild coho which fight much stronger.

Soft lip syndrome on all coho it seems, even when the flasher breaks the surface it will yank it out on some. Playing them with the drag backed off helped, less gymnastics at the boat.

Rough noon time ride over there, all the members with kids that stayed home, good on you, there will be other days.

I went out on Friday afternoon on a solo trip, I had three hours or so. I left north van around 200pm. Started trolling right when I got to Bowen. First hour was real slow. As soon as I got to CRC it was on fire. I used two dummy flashers per side. One side a pink mirror flasher with a no bananas the other side was blue mirror and hoochie. 40 feet. First fish was a hatchery coho. Then I couldn't keep two lines down, after a few wild coho and one chinook I finished with a hatchery double header. Released the one. Awesome afternoon. After the fish I headed from CRC to Point Roberts.. Ill be keeping the boat there until October. If it calms down I'll head out for a quick trip this afternoon.

Crazy Coho fishing in Gibsons last week but then slowed as the herd moved past to Bowen/Hump. Even the wife enjoyed herself. Tried this little Rapalla, way behind the boat, no weight, and pulled in a nice hatchery. Actually I’ve found most success being well back from the riggers…50’+. Maybe because my diesel Yanmar is noisy/rattlie. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back