2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanier Boat Launch.
I was out there on Sunday waiting hours for the tide to come back in so We could get the boat back onto the trailer. The East side ramp is so flat its basically useless until at least a 2m tide. The railing on the floats are all bashed up. Like you say the West side is a use at your own peril situation. For the taxes and the huge tax increases We have suffered in Vancouver by our new Mayor Simms and the one before that why can't we have a World Class Launch Ramp like Washington State has that is great on any tide rock walls to protect from wind waves making things as simple and safe as possible instead of the direlect dump that we have in our City? The new Parking ****'s are out there like vultures waiting to write tickets and you would think the Parking Ticket dispenser would allow for multiple days if your going on extended trip but you would now be out of luck.

Years of practice. Weighed in at 17 pounds though so I can’t complain.

Oh ya know some where in area 29…….

Kidding …. Trolling bottom near Bowen. But that’s All the info I’m giving ;)

not that it probably matters I think this is a once in a lifetime occurrence given where I was. Never heard of a hali caught anywhere nearer than gulf islands.
I heard a guy got one about 60 lb last year in Howe sound

Seen quite a few boats out by Bowen today. One at waterfall ,3-4 Tunstal and 3-4 south Bowen cruising back from gambier. Wonder how the fishing is? How many people have the DNA sampling permission and where do I sign up for that.
Got a couple crab but really was out for a family weekend . Had a blast with the kids but forgot sunscreen on my back . Would have came back tomorrrow but looks like the weather is turning and wind warnings in effect .
We were DNA sampling at South Bowen on both Saturday and Sunday. The number of Chinook out there is staggering, most I’ve seen in 35 years of salmon fishing, although they are on the small size.

A week ago I made a post asking for help to locate 4 lost traps dropped 2 miles south of the sandheads lighthouse. I know the currents there can be very strong so we decided to use larger bullet buoys to ensure our floats don't get submerged. Our traps had weights on them but guess the larger buoys also create more drag and must have dragged them out to deeper water. Long story short, someone found 1 of the traps floating in middle of the straight. If someone is crossing the straight either from North or south arm in the next little while and see orange bullet buoys floating in the middle of nowhere, we would greatly appreciate it if you could stop to retrieve them. If there are any prizes in the traps please feel free to enjoy. I am in the middle of a big house move so wont be able to get out to have a look for next week or so...thanks in advance.

Agreed. We caught about 6 Chinook that day and hooked into another 4 or so yet couldn't keep one. 2 or 3 probably died anyways as they were bleeders. Its tragic
use a soft release net, keeps the scales on.
The main arteries are in the gill area where they join the roof of mouth and tongue areas. corner of mouth, lips, they won't bleed much at all.

The main arteries are in the gill area where they join the roof of mouth and tongue areas. corner of mouth, lips, they won't bleed much at all.
Why net them at all? To get pictures? Or to try and get the tandem trebles out? Lol

A week ago I made a post asking for help to locate 4 lost traps dropped 2 miles south of the sandheads lighthouse. I know the currents there can be very strong so we decided to use larger bullet buoys to ensure our floats don't get submerged. Our traps had weights on them but guess the larger buoys also create more drag and must have dragged them out to deeper water. Long story short, someone found 1 of the traps floating in middle of the straight. If someone is crossing the straight either from North or south arm in the next little while and see orange bullet buoys floating in the middle of nowhere, we would greatly appreciate it if you could stop to retrieve them. If there are any prizes in the traps please feel free to enjoy. I am in the middle of a big house move so wont be able to get out to have a look for next week or so...thanks in advance.
You're not alone on this mistake, I often see crab traps getting carried away to the gulf islands when traveling from Sandheads to Point Roberts. Good luck on getting the remaining three back.

Will put a bow on the annual fish handling discussion that lands here. In the case of a non-retention situation, don't net fish, release at the side of the boat, save the fish from possible higher mortality by leaving them in the water. There, now we can get back to potential fishing reports and carry on the fish mortality debate in the appropriate thread in the Conservation area. Phew, feels good to get that out of the way!

Yup I use a coated soft release net, and never run bait with trebles unless it’s open season. Do my best to use the gaf when possible, but that not always easy when you are continually bringing out green friends in the boat who aren’t very good at netting let alone gaf releasing.

Don’t appreciate the net shaming LOL (not you Jim, later replies).

Does anyone know where I can find the halibut bank weather buoy data? Specifically the wave height. I can't seem to be able to find it on line as usual, perhaps it's currently down. Thinking about crossing today.

Windfinder is showing some data, not actual wave height, has a search feature. BigWaveDave has not been updating Halibut Bank for two weeks now. The free version of Predict Wind is showing some wave data but no search feature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back