2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were checked Friday while ling fishing at Thrasher. They were based off the large coast guard ship cruising up the straight. I told them it would be nice to be able to fish and keep a chinook. They told me there was a FN boat close by doing very well on the chinooks. I told them I really did not need that report.

Just got barbed by DFO at 28-6, Point Atkinson, luckily I’m a persistent pincher. All good. They asked me what I was fishing for, I repeated the regulations, three species are open, chinook are non-retention. That was all they wanted, and they left.

They did sneak out of Caulfield Cove, maybe tied to the dock.
Did they do the sweater test?

i think you would get a $200 fine. You can troll for lings barbless.
Yes you can troll for lings with barbless hooks but you do not have to so they couldn’t fine you if you did. Now of course if you say you are trolling for lings with a barbed hootchie in an area closed for lings they should fine you. Twice. But if you are actually trolling for lings in an area open for lings with a lure appropriate for lings on what grounds can they fine you? I don’t see any.

Yes you can troll for lings with barbless hooks but you do not have to so they couldn’t fine you if you did. Now of course if you say you are trolling for lings with a barbed hootchie in an area closed for lings they should fine you. Twice. But if you are actually trolling for lings in an area open for lings with a lure appropriate for lings on what grounds can they fine you? I don’t see any.
Fair enough. I suppose it’s like us fishing flat falls for lings. I have barbed heavy ones I use for lings and others I use for salmon that are barbless. But salmon swim on those reefs also.

Could really need some help from folks who launch out of the south arm. We dropped 4 crab traps just 2 miles south of the sandheads lighthouse yesterday before crossing the straight to do some bottom fishing. When we returned all 4 traps were gone. Had plenty of sinking line and the traps were all weighted. Buoys were larger orange color bullet buoys(approx 7.5" x 15")which are about 3 time larger than the conventional red/white bullet buoys so there is plenty of buoyancy as we know the currents there can be very strong. All 4 traps are blue in color. If anyone is out today or next couple days and see large orange colored bullet buoys can you please call or text me at 778-861-9770. We purposely chose large orange bullet buoys as we dont often see other rec crabbers with orange bullet buoys and since they are triple the size of normal bullet buoys they easy to spot. We are hoping someone poached the crabs from traps and dumped the traps,line and buoy somewhere up or down from where the traps were. I've attached a picture of the approx location of where the traps were dropped. Names on buoys are Yamanka and Ly.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_105805.jpg
    IMG_20230518_105805.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Could really need some help from folks who launch out of the south arm. We dropped 4 crab traps just 2 miles south of the sandheads lighthouse yesterday before crossing the straight to do some bottom fishing. When we returned all 4 traps were gone. Had plenty of sinking line and the traps were all weighted. Buoys were larger orange color bullet buoys(approx 7.5" x 15")which are about 3 time larger than the conventional red/white bullet buoys so there is plenty of buoyancy as we know the currents there can be very strong. All 4 traps are blue in color. If anyone is out today or next couple days and see large orange colored bullet buoys can you please call or text me at 778-861-9770. We purposely chose large orange bullet buoys as we dont often see other rec crabbers with orange bullet buoys and since they are triple the size of normal bullet buoys they easy to spot. We are hoping someone poached the crabs from traps and dumped the traps,line and buoy somewhere up or down from where the traps were. I've attached a picture of the approx location of where the traps were dropped. Names on buoys are Yamanka and Ly.

Thanks in advance
That sucks...there are gangs of trap thiefs in that area protecting their turf (and surrounding areas). I feel your pain. I can't count how many traps I've had stolen. I don't even try anymore. If you can't keep an eye on them at all times, they gone! I've also had traps cut to send a message to stay away (howe sound) Best bet is a camouflage marker. The more visible the marker, the easier for thiefs to spot. Not even worth trying anymore. Hopefully I am wrong, sounds like a few hundred dollars down the drain.

Thanks in advance
What kind of traps and how deep fif you set?

Heading out tomorrow with a new group. I’m leading (rec fishing). Thinking on south Bowen / QA / Hump (launching from Reed Point). Has anyone fished there recently? Any luck? I could go Turnstall, but rather stay closer to home. Just out for fun,

Heading out tomorrow with a new group. I’m leading (rec fishing). Thinking on south Bowen / QA / Hump (launching from Reed Point). Has anyone fished there recently? Any luck? I could go Turnstall, but rather stay closer to home. Just out for fun,
Reed point doesn't have a launch. And Tunstall is basically South Bowen. It’s got to be the same distance as the hump or closer. I can’t help with reports because I have fishing but just want to make sure you know where you’re going

Reed point doesn't have a launch. And Tunstall is basically South Bowen. It’s got to be the same distance as the hump or closer. I can’t help with reports because I have fishing but just want to make sure you know where you’re going
Meaning. Boat is moored at Reed Point. Just curious on what folks are getting (or not)

Im going out tomorrow too from reed point…. Im probably going to fish a couple different areas like grace islands, tungstal bay, the hump or maybe hole in the wall… we will need to move around a bit to find some fish… not a whole lot around at the moment ive heard

Seen quite a few boats out by Bowen today. One at waterfall ,3-4 Tunstal and 3-4 south Bowen cruising back from gambier. Wonder how the fishing is? How many people have the DNA sampling permission and where do I sign up for that.
Got a couple crab but really was out for a family weekend . Had a blast with the kids but forgot sunscreen on my back . Would of came back tomorrrow but looks like the weather is turning and wind warnings in effect .

Might be old news now, but the west boat ramp at Vanier Park appears to have been open for awhile. The dock is barricaded off though, you have to scoot around to the east ramp's dock for loading passengers etc. It appears the dock safety/engineering wise was the hold up, looks like they finally thought of opening up the ramp but blocking off the dock. They really could have done this years ago now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back