2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fishing report for the week. Started Friday 3:30 - 5:30. Tagged a 62 cm hatch Chinook. Saturday 11-1:30 one hatch 60 cm and one wild 63 cm. Sunday waiting for a break from the monsoon. Started 1:30 and stopped at 3:30 when the next storm blew in. 10 mins into fishing and a double header. 64 cm and 62 cm both hatch. 28-2 lions bay to horseshoe Bay is area fished. I've committed to providing as much reporting of fishing in this area. From all the data from past years and present avid anglers the proof repeats itself to a valid fishery. Less than 4% of fish identified (from many yrs of data) were the endangered Fraser River early run. Time for dfo to accept this accurate data year after year and open it up! Rant over. Tight lines.

Can we get a consensus? Sub-Area 28-6. (Pt Atkinson to the point near the pink apartments less the closed area near Starboat Cove)

Using the DFO regulations on your pc or the Fishing BC app, what do you see for open salmon species right now?

I used the app and narrowed it down further to 28-6 (once you pick 28 and then open the regs you can pick a particular sub area)

For 28-6, do you get:

Chum salmon. Regulation Description: Open (shows all of 28)

Coho Salmon (hatchery). Regulation Description: Open (shows 28-1, 28-2, 28-3, 28-4, 28-5, 28-6, 28-7, 28-9)

Pink salmon Regulation Description: Open (shows all of 28)

No DFO comments if possible.

Can we get a consensus? Sub-Area 28-6. (Pt Atkinson to the point near the pink apartments less the closed area near Starboat Cove)

Using the DFO regulations on your pc or the Fishing BC app, what do you see for open salmon species right now?

I used the app and narrowed it down further to 28-6 (once you pick 28 and then open the regs you can pick a particular sub area)

For 28-6, do you get:

Chum salmon. Regulation Description: Open (shows all of 28)

Coho Salmon (hatchery). Regulation Description: Open (shows 28-1, 28-2, 28-3, 28-4, 28-5, 28-6, 28-7, 28-9)

Pink salmon Regulation Description: Open (shows all of 28)

No DFO comments if possible.
Yeah that's what I get on the app. It shows chinook as non retention as well. What's the story?

Epic day tagging. Fished 28-2 Sunset to Horseshoe Bay. Recorded 8 samples 5 being 62-68 cm. 3 hatch and 5 wilds. Lost as many. Saw another 3 boats catching as well. If you are on this forum please share your counts. Determing the the origins of these fish will lend more support and proof of a viable fishery that does NOT affect the Fraser River runs. Wasn't that the reason areas like this one are shut down. 🤣

Epic day tagging. Fished 28-2 Sunset to Horseshoe Bay. Recorded 8 samples 5 being 62-68 cm. 3 hatch and 5 wilds. Lost as many. Saw another 3 boats catching as well. If you are on this forum please share your counts. Determing the the origins of these fish will lend more support and proof of a viable fishery that does NOT affect the Fraser River runs. Wasn't that the reason areas like this one are shut down. 🤣
This whole program will be shut down soon if the guides keep posting hero shots of their guests holding up bleeding 55cm fish with half of their scales missing. Clearly DFO doesn't care about this "science" anyway.

Are you planning your trips around the tide change or just going out when you have the time? Any hatchery coho?

Any coho around this early? Serious question. Want to drop the traps again before the commies get out and would love to wet a line with coho gear (shallow, UV flashers, hootchies/small sooons…) but don’t want any trouble from DFO.

This whole program will be shut down soon if the guides keep posting hero shots of their guests holding up bleeding 55cm fish with half of their scales missing. Clearly DFO doesn't care about this "science" anyway.
Now you’re getting it…..they don’t care. Repatriations are their only goal, conservation and management are secondary

I went out yesterday. We're on a mission to find some new spots way up howesound. Yesterday we went to the backside of Grace. By the pulp mill, trolled all the way to defense islands. A lot of seals in that area, big packs of them everywhere. Once we got to defense we pulled up and went to Britannia mine. Trolled out front. Then Fury Creek, Puerto cove and then followed the highway to the edge of the legal zone.. very slow all day. Nothing more then a shaker. Most bait was definitely in Puerto. Good number of prawns to reward for 10 hours of catch and release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back