2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winds are looking good this weekend and i'm itching to get on the water! Serious thoughts on howe sound locations: tunstall, grace, hole in the wall or waterfall vs harbour?

Fished Tunstall and Waterfall today from 9:30 to 1.

At Tunstall 3 tacks yielded one shaker.

At Waterfall found this chunky one off the SW corner of the marker in 170’. Taped out at 64 cms.

47287B2E-6804-4114-8AAC-53FBDF97EF43.jpeg

Followed up with a few more tacks but only a rock cod picked off a pinnacle to show for my efforts.

1A3549D0-241B-436A-A6C5-B3AB09C28A4E.jpeg

Terrific day to get out onto the water after too much snow and wind.

Fished Tunstall and Waterfall today from 9:30 to 1.

At Tunstall 3 tacks yielded one shaker.

At Waterfall found this chunky one off the SW corner of the marker in 170’. Taped out at 64 cms.

View attachment 90249

Followed up with a few more tacks but only a rock cod picked off a pinnacle to show for my efforts.

View attachment 90251

Terrific day to get out onto the water after too much snow and wind.
nice beauty red spring there nice work

The incident was a very near catastrophic miss with a space heater. Things got melty. Ended up figuring out what the subsequent power issue was (another hidden breaker) and got out for an hour and a half at the cap. Saw a grady net two fish in a row but no luck for me. Did 7 or 8 passes and called it. I've never winter fished in tight to the can like they were. Obviously it works.

Yikes dodged a close one...which space heater was it and why exactly did it melt up?
Caframo. But I added a nice heavy, and very short, extension cord (still not a good idea in hindsight). I think the issue was I had turned it up on my last outing and forgot to turn it back down to the winter freeze setting. When the cold snap hit, it was probably working overtime. That, or the outlet got water in it. It's right behind the sink. Both ends of the extension cord and the outlet itself were black and starting to melt. Resized_20230305_103821.jpeg

Caframo. But I added a nice heavy, and very short, extension cord (still not a good idea in hindsight). I think the issue was I had turned it up on my last outing and forgot to turn it back down to the winter freeze setting. When the cold snap hit, it was probably working overtime. That, or the outlet got water in it. It's right behind the sink. Both ends of the extension cord and the outlet itself were black and starting to melt. View attachment 90304
Crazy that’s close!!

Caframo. But I added a nice heavy, and very short, extension cord (still not a good idea in hindsight). I think the issue was I had turned it up on my last outing and forgot to turn it back down to the winter freeze setting. When the cold snap hit, it was probably working overtime. That, or the outlet got water in it. It's right behind the sink. Both ends of the extension cord and the outlet itself were black and starting to melt. View attachment 90304
Put those on low thermostat setting if left on. Only need a tinge of warm air. 1500 wattage elements can catch fire. Seen one do that in my presence before. Good thing I was there and paying attention.

The incident was a very near catastrophic miss with a space heater. Things got melty. Ended up figuring out what the subsequent power issue was (another hidden breaker) and got out for an hour and a half at the cap. Saw a grady net two fish in a row but no luck for me. Did 7 or 8 passes and called it. I've never winter fished in tight to the can like they were. Obviously it works.
It’s all about the bait— at the right part of the tide. Winter fishing the “Cap” includes long trolls as far west as the Pink Building on the bottom.

Put those on low thermostat setting if left on. Only need a tinge of warm air. 1500 wattage elements can catch fire. Seen one do that in my presence before. Good thing I was there and paying attention.
That's usually what it's left on. Lowest setting just to keep the freeze out. I think I turned it up to warm up when I got back on my last outing becuase the espar is broken. Forgot to turn it back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back