2022 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any truth to tuna rumor at Oli's

Hi All.. just arrived in WH a couple hours ago..wind looks like it is dying down... a few nice Spring at the dock. We will heads out in the AM to poke around.... reason for the chat.. I heard that Tune were within 30 miles of Kains.
We have not Tune fished before would love to give it a try. If someone is in WH that has done it and would like to get out in the next couple days.. please give me a shout on the radio. Driving a white Alaskan 270. Just call for Ron on the radio. Hope to talk to someone soon!

Pretty fresh winds for the triple generation tour.
We stuck around Cliff Pt. It was slow for salmon. Caught spring and coho. Small coho, made a nice dinner for four!
Picked up a bunch of ling just in front of Cliff.
We will try for outside tomorrow.

Anyone planning to go for a tuna run and looking for buddy boats shoot a pm over. Just waiting on a weather window.

Anyone planning to go for a tuna run and looking for buddy boats shoot a pm over. Just waiting on a weather window.
YES! We are in WH right now until Friday..... never done it... looking for someone to go with. Winds have died down and hopefully nice and calm next coupe days.
We were off shore today and the swells were decent size.. but no real chop.

Heading out to WH next week. Hoping weather is ok to get outside. We'll be staying with Qualicum Rivers Charters. We've never been let down. Awsome boats, guides, and accommodations! Talk to Rob. You won't be disappointed. We never have been!

Mixed bag the last three days.
With the triple generation crew, we could not get offshore until today. Found some good Ling fishing on the inside, salmon was very spotty on the inside.
Managed to get outside this morning and set the hook. Only had a couple of hours and managed to tub out on Hali.

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_102356438_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220803_102356438_HDR.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20220802_154716378_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220802_154716378_HDR.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 200
With the triple generation crew, we could not get offshore until today. Found some good Ling fishing on the inside, salmon was very spotty on the inside.
Managed to get outside this morning and set the hook. Only had a couple of hours and managed to tub out on Hali.
Hey Gong show - nice work! did you guys anchor for the hali or drift? I’m heading up next week and wondering if I have to lug my hali anchor system to WH or do guys drift / jig that area?

We anchored in 200'. I usually prefer to drift, but the motion of the ocean is easier on anchor for the younger crew.
There was still some chumming of the waters, but they are troopers, "I wish I could throw up faster, I feel better after." Very strange proud papa moment.
Equal success with herring and salmon bellies.

Normal offshore from WH to see drift jigging for lings but on the hook for hali.

The bottom fishing is pretty to right now in WH... still here for one more day. Last two trips we limited on hali while jigging for long cod... using the mudrakers brought in hali it seemed... we jigged one up must have been 150 pounds... managed to get the hook out and let her slide back down to the depths... we did find that we needed to jig deep than other years for more action... we jigged in 270 plus feet of water.

Just got Back from a week in Winter Harbour, Friday to Friday. The first few days were windy, but from Wednesday on flat and calm. Before the commercial opening salmon was hot and limited out in under 1 hour, with 6 springs. between lawn and brooks, 180 to 220 ft in 300ft of water. After that, we got a few here and there. Limited out 1 day early on springs, coho, lings, hali and rockfish, nothing huge but all good eaters. I released a big skate and blue shark. I know skates are good for eating but it was way too big around 5 to 6 ft across. The skate had a commercial hook stuck in its mouth. Tried to remove it but no luck.

Attachments

• blue.JPG
    blue.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 195
  • skate.JPG
    skate.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 189
  • springs lings.JPG
    springs lings.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 193
Just got Back from a week in Winter Harbour, Friday to Friday. The first few days were windy, but from Wednesday on flat and calm. Before the commercial opening salmon was hot and limited out in under 1 hour, with 6 springs. between lawn and brooks, 180 to 220 ft in 300ft of water. After that, we got a few here and there. Limited out 1 day early on springs, coho, lings, hali and rockfish, nothing huge but all good eaters. I released a big skate and blue shark. I know skates are good for eating but it was way too big around 5 to 6 ft across. The skate had a commercial hook stuck in its mouth. Tried to remove it but no luck.
I read somewhere that some places used a round cookie cutter on the flukes and sold the meat as scallops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back