Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here in whirl bay - not a bite but released about 6 slightly under legal lingcod and a spectacular whale show to keep the kids entertained. Always good to run the engineers!

Out last Thursday off Constance, anchored up for halibut. No shortage of bigger than average dogs as usual. At about 9:00 the starboard rod bends over – slowly. My fishing buddy picked up the rod, he could not budge it one inch, it was stuck solid to the bottom (?). We got a gaff and started wrapping the line around the handle, hoping to pull it off the bottom by hand. Finally, it started to move off the bottom and felt like it was an abandoned anchor or set line. We took turns pulling the line in by hand, halfway up the line started to feel lighter. After 45 minutes we finally got the spreader bar up – with a huge red orange octopus on the end of it. I got the gaff into him and brought him to the side of the boat (big mistake!) He glued himself to the bottom of the boat – we couldn’t budge him. The hook pulled out…… and the gaff hook pulled out. A second later he was headed for home – straight to the bottom.😫

Last edited:
Out last Thursday off Constance, anchored up for halibut. No shortage of bigger than average dogs as usual. At about 9:00 the starboard rod bends over – slowly. My fishing buddy picked up the rod, he could not budge it one inch, it was stuck solid to the bottom (?). We got a gaff and started wrapping the line around the handle, hoping to pull it off the bottom by hand. Finally, it started to move off the bottom and felt like it was an abandoned anchor or set line. We took turns pulling the line in by hand, halfway up the line started to feel lighter. After 45 minutes we finally got the spreader bar up – with a huge red orange octopus on the end of it. I got the gaff into him and brought to the side of the boat (big mistake!) He glued himself to the bottom of the boat – we couldn’t budge him. The hook pulled out…… and the gaff hook pulled out. A second later he was headed for home – straight to the bottom.😫
You released the Kraken?

Out last Thursday off Constance, anchored up for halibut. No shortage of bigger than average dogs as usual. At about 9:00 the starboard rod bends over – slowly. My fishing buddy picked up the rod, he could not budge it one inch, it was stuck solid to the bottom (?). We got a gaff and started wrapping the line around the handle, hoping to pull it off the bottom by hand. Finally, it started to move off the bottom and felt like it was an abandoned anchor or set line. We took turns pulling the line in by hand, halfway up the line started to feel lighter. After 45 minutes we finally got the spreader bar up – with a huge red orange octopus on the end of it. I got the gaff into him and brought to the side of the boat (big mistake!) He glued himself to the bottom of the boat – we couldn’t budge him. The hook pulled out…… and the gaff hook pulled out. A second later he was headed for home – straight to the bottom.😫
This brings me back to doing that when I was about 10 years old. Exact same release sucked to the side of the boat and then took the hook out himself, they are smart buggers!

Was it missing a few legs ? This one took both sides, we were thinkin double header then we watched it remove both hooks and swim back down.

Attachments

• 00CD8BB8-2DDE-4F43-8AC5-850049DBD750.png
    00CD8BB8-2DDE-4F43-8AC5-850049DBD750.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 154
Was it missing a few legs ? This one took both sides, we were thinkin double header then we watched it remove both hooks and swim back down.
I don’t think he had any missing legs, but I couldn’t say for sure. We figured he was holding to a good size rock when we first started to bring him in, that’s probably why he felt lighter halfway up, when he let go of the rock. He was hooked on a big J hook, maybe a circle hook would hold him better(?) Does anyone have any info on the best way to deal with a big octopus?

Last edited:
I've netted them to keep them away from the boat,once on board put them in a garbage bag or 5 gal. bucket with a lid.To kill them quickly is a bit gruesome for an open forum,PM me if you need to know.

I've netted them to keep them away from the boat,once on board put them in a garbage bag or 5 gal. bucket with a lid.To kill them quickly is a bit gruesome for an open forum,PM me if you need to know.
I need to know

Chlorinated water is the kryptonite for octo. I used to bring a 5gal bucket of tap water prawning and throw the small octo in it. They don’t last long and then you can remove and put in another bucket so they are not soaking in tap water ( if that matters to you)

Now I just basically clean the small ones live. 2 fingers, one in each “nostril” of the hood and give them the inside out scrout. This exposes the internal parts and a quick swipe or 2 with a knife removes the unwanted bits. I then grasp the whole body in my hand with the legs facing towards me and use the tip of the knife to cut around and pop the beak out. I believe they have a brain or separate nerve system for each leg so the legs can remain active for a very long time even detached from the body.

For a large octo I would recommend either cutting it loose or netting it and putting it in a large bucket or bag then soaking it in tap water or if in a garbage bag sealing it up tight to try and suffocate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back