Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out today to take advantage of the sunny day. Launched at 10am-3:30 off the waterfront. Had a few hit n misses and a couple small Coho released and nothing in the tub, good pull of crabs off sax point with 6 keepers. Hope to get a nice day again soon so I can feel that tug.

Attachments

• 42E2816B-8F70-4037-A0D8-CD6C15439BEB.jpeg
    42E2816B-8F70-4037-A0D8-CD6C15439BEB.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 88
Got out to enjoy this nice sunny day off Albert Head drift jigging for that holly grail but we’re rewarded with some bait thieving mud sharks. A couple of them were 4ft ers. Crabs are getting caught by the commercials out deeper so we only had 4 keepers outa 2 full traps, still the best way to spend the day.

Attachments

• DBA21271-5333-4D2F-A9B0-CBECF06B79FD.jpeg
    DBA21271-5333-4D2F-A9B0-CBECF06B79FD.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 84
Finally got a a chance to get out on the boat after a few weeks of work/travel.

Anchored up for Hali and got 6 sharks.

Nice day to be out. Even came home with 4 keepers for crab.

Finally got a a chance to get out on the boat after a few weeks of work/travel.

Anchored up for Hali and got 6 sharks.

Nice day to be out. Even came home with 4 keepers for crab.
Yes these brown bastards are from the shark family, but best to call them Dog Fish. or by their proper name "Pacific Spiny Dogfish"
They are a curse especially when fishing halibut in late spring summer and fall
dogfish (3).png

Last edited by a moderator:
They can be eaten if they’re small. Pretty tasty. You have to neutralize the urea with an acid like lemon juice. Makes great fish and chips.

They're one of my favourite eating fish. The meat is white like halibut and almost as dense. If you skin it on board (and throw it in a cooler) you don't need to worry about the urea, which is in the skin. The skin peels off if you grip it with pliers. It's boneless, with only a finger of cartilage running along where a spine should be. My fave way to do it is with garlic butter on the grill.

Nothing for me of OB this afternoon. Seemed to be a fair amount of bait and fishy looking marks on the sounder. Heard of a couple of small springs being caught.

Lost a prawn trap even though I was "keeping an eye on it". Suspect the anchor clip gave way and it was off to the strait before I could get my trolling gear in. For a small tide it was gone fast. Think I'll stick to the inlets for prawns from now on. :(

I did catch an old crab trap on my DR off the gap. No weight in it. Imagine that. My traps only had a few smalls in them.

PD day for the kid yesterday so I took him and some friends out for a shot at Hali before the current got too fast.

Anchored up closer to shore off pedder bay to try and stay out of the main current and got gear in the water for a few hours.

No bites at all the entire time, not even a dog fish, turned out to be a nice day.

They're one of my favourite eating fish. The meat is white like halibut and almost as dense. If you skin it on board (and throw it in a cooler) you don't need to worry about the urea, which is in the skin. The skin peels off if you grip it with pliers. It's boneless, with only a finger of cartilage running along where a spine should be. My fave way to do it is with garlic butter on the grill.
I may have to try this. After years of cursing them I’m thinking why not harvest and them. There is definitely an abundance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back