Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Constance Bank 715 to 930 and not a bite. Moved back into the flagpole and fished to Brotchie, 10 to 1130. Landed 5 Coho, 50 ft on the DR, in 150 ft of water and all caught on hoochies.
Anyone willing to recommend a hootchy colour or pattern? Headed out Friday.

I can’t speak for Victoria but this setup was killing it on Monday in Sooke!
King size charters's email update says that "White or white with green hoochies are the ticket for the coho".

We had luck previously with green and white coho killers so his advice makes some sense to me.

All I use for Coho fishing is needle fish hoochies and they never fail me.
I use three types, oil Slick, alligator, white all in glow.
36 inch leader, 40 lb test line and 2 X 3/0 gammy hooks.

Almost all the fish we've caught out front of Victoria have been feeding on needle fish, (stuffed with them) so you need to match the bait. Whereas in Sooke the Coho are feeding on small herring (4") so bigger hoochies work well there, but I still use needle fish.

Here are an alligator and oil slick needle fish and a photo of all the needle fish I use compared to a standard hoochy. All available at Trotac.

Heading out at 730 to try our luck in Victoria, I'm fishing today on Miss Amarone (Cuttwater) today. Say hi if you see us.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Attachments

• needle fish hoochies.jpg
    needle fish hoochies.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Hoochy types.jpg
    Hoochy types.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 118
Well I screwed up twice today. First I tried netting a nice wild coho solo and bounced the net into it's head, Lost that one. Then I caught a 9 lb. Wild coho and made damn sure I didn't loose that one. The second screw up was I left my favorite fillet knife at the cleaning station at esquimalt anglers. I sure would like it back if one of you found it. :)

Fished out front of Vic in the flagpole area from 730 to 1045. In the first 1/2 hr, we got two nice wild and kept them. Then until 1045 we had a fish on here and there and released 5 unclipped Coho at the boat. Not a hatchery to be found.
Fished in 150 to 170 ft of water and caught fish at 55ft on the DR. Most on alligator needle fish and a couple on glow white.

Attachments

• Oct 7, Coho VWF.jpg
    Oct 7, Coho VWF.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 50
First out of Cattle Pt. this morning, and I wasn't early. Started at the flats and headed South. Between 8:30-9:30 caught 4 good sized unclipped coho just North of the purple zone, right along the weed line. They were deep. 90' on the DR. The "Outfitter" spoon got them all. The one I kept had a few 7" herring in it's gut.

Trolled back to the flats and bottom bounced for half hour in 75' . One double header that made a mess. Lost them both. User error.

Crabbing was poor.

First out of Cattle Pt. this morning, and I wasn't early. Started at the flats and headed South. Between 8:30-9:30 caught 4 good sized unclipped coho just North of the purple zone, right along the weed line. They were deep. 90' on the DR. The "Outfitter" spoon got them all. The one I kept had a few 7" herring in it's gut.

Trolled back to the flats and bottom bounced for half hour in 75' . One double header that made a mess. Lost them both. User error.

Crabbing was poor.
sincere congrats! We fished the flats on saturday in 75 to 90 feet of water and got nothing.

Wife and I went out for an afternoon boat ride and to try to get some crabs. Trolled for an hour and a half in front of Royal Roads, around the freighters while the traps soaked. One coho to the boat, a couple of shakers and two pin poppers. There seems to be at least a few fish everywhere this year. Crabbing was good. Flat calm and warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back