Status
Not open for further replies.
Harbour mouth was good to us today. 1 spring around 10lbs and 2 coho. One coho was 8ish the other about 5. 3 double headers and 6 or 7 wilds released.
How deep for the spring? Good to know there are hatchery fish in the mix. Thanks
Hoochie worm?? Crazy stuff. I have blended hootchies but never thought about adding a worm. Hats off to you.
Any sandeels/sand lance I've seen are about 8-9". I've not been able to find long enough hootchies. Missed two solid strikes before this one stuck and I headed off to find a spring.
Hey Island Boy. What is that flasher?
Gibbs Skipper Flasher

Last edited:
Thanks the tip Hot-Streak. Was really hoping to get one more nook. I have a couple nice mid teens in the freezer but was just itching for something around 20lber. There has been 30+ boats out front over the last few days and I haven't heard much on the forum. Big secret or nothing there? How long will the coho be around and to what size?
The coho will be around a few more weeks. They hopefully will show up more and more at the waterfront too. I’d say another 3 weeks or so but the best time is likely the next week and half if I go by last year.

They are bigger on average then I remember last year. Got a few in the 8-12 lb range and someone this weekend got a 15lb coho

Trolled off Esquimalt yesterday hoping there would be a spring or two left. No springs for us. I did dredge up a crab trap though. A 30 inch stainless trap with 80 feet of lead core and a white float. The float was encrusted with barnacles and the name and phone number were faded away. There was a boat registration number on the float though, and it was just barley readable. Send me a PM if you think the trap is yours, tell me the right registration number...... and it's yours.

Last edited:
Got a bunch of doggies out near the border this eve the pick. Anyone had much luck with halis? Figured I would give it a shot tonight since the mature springs seemed to have pushed on. Only saw one coho jumper out there but a glassy afternoon and okay tides

Got a bunch of doggies out near the border this eve the pick. Anyone had much luck with halis? Figured I would give it a shot tonight since the mature springs seemed to have pushed on. Only saw one coho jumper out there but a glassy afternoon and okay tides
Had a couple reports come in from the weekend both mid 40’s on JR and the other near Pedder. Did you jig for coho? I usually get a few this time of year at boarder on the hook , fun to play then but always wild.

Last edited:
Anyone out the past few days for salmon? Just wondering if the coho are near or are they still mostly in sooke?

Anyone out the past few days for salmon? Just wondering if the coho are near or are they still mostly in sooke?
20220921_111323.jpg

Only wild ones for me. 8 more days.

Off Clover Point, yesterday was getting them at 70' in 200' water. Three unmarked to the boat, plus one small spring. One marked kept, and plenty of hits w/out hookup. Seemed to have action, rest 20 - 30 minutes, action, rest; repeat. Other boats equally busy. Much fun handling double header on my own.

I prefer to call them marked and unmarked as 90% of hatchery from Canada are unmarked.

Kid had the day off, wife had to work so took my son and dad for a quick fish off the waterfront. Got out late again tried to find some out by clover with no luck, ran down to Constance hoping for some action but got only one salmon and many many mini-ling so we went back to victoria waterfront and found them there.

Many missed bites and fish getting off because.
1) my dad is a terrible fisherman 😂😂😂
2) my son was a terrible driver (he is 6) at turning the boat the right way… he tried to “help” while we had fish on… but couldn’t look away from the show on his tablet 🤣🤣🤣

Total sh*t show and I almost packed it in early but we kept getting a bite every so often and eventually landed a few clipped.

Got most bites shallow at 40-55 on the rigger.

Took the wife out for a few hours off the waterfront. Went straight out of off McCauley point. Found a tide line that produced 3 wilds 5, 8 and 10lb.??? Lost a couple then finally found a clipped one about 6-7 lb. I was running anchovies on the downrigger and a skinny g with a small slip weight on the middle top rod. The top rod was the winner today so I started fishing shallow. I decided to take one run off the breakwater before we left and hit about an 8 lb. Spring off the end. Rounded this out with 3 Dungeness. Water was like a lake, sunny, hardly any boats. Awesome day

Fished friday on the flats 2pm to 5pm; 2 springs biggest being 9lb. fished waterfront from 1pm to 3pm Saturday. Nothing but wild coho, and nice ones at that. All released beside the boat :( guess I was a week early. Great butt chain of bait at the harbor mouth and it was fun letting my 10 year old put on a show for the breakwater walkers. Silly watchery fish I tell you.

I'm not looking for the secret, "Silver Bullet" but generally speaking do the following increase ones chances on COHO hookups?
Shorter leader lengths
Increased speed
40'-70' on the DR
White hootchie or typical chinook gear

Looking forward to Oct 1st new regs which I believe are:
Area 19, 2 Coho per day one which may be a wild.
Area 20 4 Coho per day (HOW MANY CAN BE WILD) ??

Normal min size and restricted areas still stand.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back