Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran out to Pedder at 7am this morning. Dropped the gear off the Wilk Pen and had a small coho right away. 6-8 boats running along the rockface but did not see any nets in the air. A few samll cohos and small lings around Bentinck. Found a couple Nooks about 10am south of Bentinck. 11 and 13 lbs. Targeted Coho and ended up getting another nook in the boat and lost one by the boat. AP tacket was the winner today at 45- 60 foot in the rigger. A nice Halibut being cleaned at Esquimalt that was caught on Constance. Anything happening at the Breakwater to Sax today?? Thinking I may try that tomorrow

I'm not fishing Gonzales point this year from the shore... to much kelp to fish it properly.
Spent the 1st, 2nd, and 5th at Ten mile point. No fish yet but lots of bait. There have been a
couple of fish taken the last couple of evenings. Don't know the sizes

I'm not fishing Gonzales point this year from the shore... to much kelp to fish it properly.
Spent the 1st, 2nd, and 5th at Ten mile point. No fish yet but lots of bait. There have been a
couple of fish taken the last couple of evenings. Don't know the sizes
Not surprised about 10 mile. Watched a salmon rip through the bait right on the surface the other day. I thought one of the other anglers had hooked it.

Fished out front of Victoria today from 615 to 11. Slow until 8 then a double header and got both (10, 15lb) of them in. Then nothing until 1015 and landed another (10lb). The biggest fish was 78cm = 15.5lb. The fish ranged in depth from 60 to 90 ft. and all caught on bait. Out if the 44 boats I counted, I didn't see to many nets out. We fished just out side of the pack of boat in the deeper water.
Off to Sooke tomorrow to give a couple from Langley a fishing lesson on their boat. Hope the luck is still there for us.

Attachments

• fish Aug 6, 2022.jpg
    fish Aug 6, 2022.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 64
Fished out front today from 6:00-1:00, not a very productive day, release a 3-4lb beside the boat. Caught on bait 78’, herring aid teaser head. Spoon on the other side, nada!. Fished from 32’-95’ Switching depths on both sides. Saw a couple of fish taken, but over all as Doug mentioned, not much action.

Fished off Clover Point on Saturday morning. While reviving and releasing an 84 cm spring, I accidently knocked a rod and reel overboard with my net handle. If you catch a 10.5 foot G Loomis rod with an Islander MR2 reel attached, by Clover Point and Ross Bay, I would be happy to reward you. Had the combo for 25 years and caught lots of fish with it. First time in 68 years of fishing that I have lost a rod or reel.

Fished off Clover Point on Saturday morning. While reviving and releasing an 84 cm spring, I accidently knocked a rod and reel overboard with my net handle. If you catch a 10.5 foot G Loomis rod with an Islander MR2 reel attached, by Clover Point and Ross Bay, I would be happy to reward you. Had the combo for 25 years and caught lots of fish with it. First time in 68 years of fishing that I have lost a rod or reel.
Dam, what colour is the reel and how deep?

Dam, what colour is the reel and how deep?
The reel is Gold and I have the serial number. Also attached in a custom color Hot Spot Flasher that only I have and can describe to the finder. In about 80-110 feet. Didn't get the exact depth or waypoint. Unfortunately I had turned off the tracking on my chart plotter.

The reel is Gold and I have the serial number. Also attached in a custom color Hot Spot Flasher that only I have and can describe to the finder. In about 80-110 feet. Didn't get the exact depth or waypoint. Unfortunately I had turned off the tracking on my chart plotter.
Shoot, about here? I’ll post to the freedivers group, and the divers group, if you want. I’d try 80, but I’m a little out of shape for 100, that was pre-kids. Can you Take someone fishing for finding it?

Attachments

• 7D2C97D9-9455-4E84-8A95-C4C7FBC59522.png
    7D2C97D9-9455-4E84-8A95-C4C7FBC59522.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 38
Shoot, about here? I’ll post to the freedivers group, and the divers group, if you want. I’d try 80, but I’m a little out of shape for 100, that was pre-kids. Can you Take someone fishing for finding it?
That's correct. Appreciate any help.

Late post:

Motored out to the Head yesterday, caught our limit of springs, but couldn’t find any coho. But on our way back we stopped at my halibut spot to see if we could drift for a bit. Tide and wind were unbelievable, very slowly covered some ground. Unfortunately we ended the short 1.5 hrs with 4 dogs. Dogs were loving the mackerel, so I changed one side up with a salmon head, they were nibbling on it, but the halibut didn’t come by and take it from them. Came back to the traps, 17 crab in two, but only 3 keepers.

I take by no reports on Sunday, it was slow out front?

Out front was decent Sunday morning. I had a shaker and a spring maybe 4 lb to warm up. Lost a mid-teener doing a classic net foul up at the boat. Had a few more 4 - 5 lb springs to release, and finally one about 8 - 9 lb that fought like a champ and went back to grow bigger. Bait ruled, big or small for me. Spoons had a chance but didn't produce this day. I was catching 40 - 50 ft down, trolling harbour mouth and east side.

Was out off Oak Bay both Saturday p.m. and Sunday morning. Pretty slow. Saw one salmon netted out of a doze boats Sunday morning on the flats. I was told a few more had been caught on Sat. I also tried East of Discovery with only rockfish and baby lings to show. Lots of bait and arches on the sounder, just no biters.

fished flats all day saturday (what else was there to do with that beautiful weather?) we played 4 fish total on the 11-3 shift. Saw some boats net smaller fish, we released 2 and kept two small guys as they were bleeding pretty bad. Nothing big to write home about. Lots of bait, lots of marks just no takers. Next trip is to downtown.

Follow - up to my report below... my friend Mike hit a fish at Ten Mile Point at 6:00pm the same evening.
It was basically a cookie cutter fish... His was 80cm and about 17# Caught on a Mac Deep

Fished Ten Mile Point today from 1pm-3:00pm. Just about to leave when Wham a strike about 10' off the rocks.
Watched the fish rise and take the lure. About a ten minute fight, didn't even know it was hooked for about 20 seconds.
78cm fatty about 16#. On a 4" Pink holographic Buzz Bomb. At least not skunked this year from the shore
happy happy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back