Status
Not open for further replies.
Today the traps were in Caddy Bay. Last week OBB hotel. Previous Feb's both have been good. Not this year. There has been at least two different sets of commercial floats pounding it. Can't help but notice a lot of lost, abandoned etc. sport floats as well. Maybe we need to start pulling up some of weed encrusted lines.

Today the traps were in Caddy Bay. Last week OBB hotel. Previous Feb's both have been good. Not this year. There has been at least two different sets of commercial floats pounding it. Can't help but notice a lot of lost, abandoned etc. sport floats as well. Maybe we need to start pulling up some of weed encrusted lines.
Florida has a two week closure on blue crab traps under floats so abandoned traps can be easy identified. Maybe something similar here could help.

Oak bay Crabbing was good for a about 3 weeks in January with lot's of male hard shell dungeness.
In fact there were almost no undersize or female.
That's gone off and they have moved.
Yesterday I had 2 small rock crab in a 3 hour soak.

Oak bay Crabbing was good for a about 3 weeks in January with lot's of male hard shell dungeness.
In fact there were almost no undersize or female.
That's gone off and they have moved.
Yesterday I had 2 small rock crab in a 3 hour soak.
Either the crabs got out somehow or maybe the trap got raided...

Either the crabs got out somehow or maybe the trap got raided...
Doubt it. Bait untouched and trap exactly where and how I left it. On the positive side. The couple of females I caught were loaded with eggs. It's probably some local environmental thing causing a temporary change in annual routine. Too much fresh water run off this year? Those dang killer whales spent a lot of time in OB last summer.;) Who knows? Give it a month.

Does anyone know where this actually is?
According to navionics there is a signifigant seamount due south of Brotchie called "fog horn"
I searched all over but never found anything but flat bottom on the sounder. Can anyone advise? It’s just NW of the yellow can bouy on navionics.
We ancheored up and fished anway but only had doggies.
1644876361629.png

Last edited:
According to navionics there is a signifigant seamount due south of Brotchie called "fog horn"
I searched all over but never found anything but flat bottom on the sounder. Can anyone advise? It’s just NW of the yellow can bouy on navionics.
View attachment 75428
It's probably best not to anchor in that area for safety reasons as you are likely in the shipping lane. The yellow can is a cautionary buoy. Freighters transition through that area often. Cheers.

It's probably best not to anchor in that area for safety reasons as you are likely in the shipping lane. The yellow can is a cautionary buoy. Freighters transition through that area often. Cheers.
I think it’s an old shipwreck. Not kidding - a ship went down there a long time ago and people used to dive the area for relics.
View attachment 75428
It’s where capt Brotchie ran his ship aground in 1847. Used to be a popular place to dive for relics!

There it is. I wonder if when they turned off Clover Point they stopped feeding crabs ;-)

Attachments

• A9C1FA88-5472-4161-9ED0-E721DD749591.png
    A9C1FA88-5472-4161-9ED0-E721DD749591.png
    1,010 KB · Views: 148
This guy played chicken with us a few years back. Don't go to this spot much anymore but produces every time.

Attachments

• 26045D91-8122-418E-9778-748DC70E8CCF.jpeg
    26045D91-8122-418E-9778-748DC70E8CCF.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:
The spot he is looking for is .6 miles south of brotchie ledge. The ship went down on brotchie ledge.
The spot is closer to 3 km (1.9 miles) south of the ledge. Itsa slso over a km wide at the widest point. I dont think its a shipwreck.
Plus the San Pedro's remains are still at the Ledge itself.

I spoke with the guys at Trotac yesterday and they were unfamiliar with thus lump near the yellow can.

So, has anyone actually seen this seamount?
1644936502632.png

Last edited:
The spot is closer to 3 km (1.9 miles) south of the ledge. Itsa slso over a km wide at the widest point. I dont think its a shipwreck.
Plus the San Pedro's remains are still at the Ledge itself.

I spoke with the guys at Trotac yesterday and they were unfamiliar with thus lump near the yellow can.

So, has anyone actually seen this seamount?
View attachment 75439
Ahh guess its early for you, my picture above is near that spot, hence the Freighter. Yes produces well but pilots don't want you near it. A guy I've known for years who drives the yellow pilot boats says to anchor as close as you can to the pilot buoy if your going fish it. After all, the freighters and even the coho ferry will avoid at all costs getting too close to that buoy. I found it drift jigging and lost a big halibut that later made me go a few sessions to the chiropractor. Risky spot but quite rewarding too.

Ahh guess its early for you, my picture above is near that spot, hence the Freighter. Yes produces well but pilots don't want you near it. A guy I've known for years who drives the yellow pilot boats says to anchor as close as you can to the pilot buoy if your going fish it. After all, the freighters and even the coho ferry will avoid at all costs getting too close to that buoy. I found it drift jigging and lost a big halibut that later made me go a few sessions to the chiropractor. Risky spot but quite rewarding too.
I don't want to take up too much of this thread over this topic, but to clarify are you saying that this hump does actually exist? if so I will submit a ticket to Navionics to reevaluate their chart. Roughly where is it in relation to the yellow can?

I don't want to take up too much of this thread over this topic, but to clarify are you saying that this hump does actually exist? if so I will submit a ticket to Navionics to reevaluate their chart. Roughly where is it in relation to the yellow can?
All I would say is its close, come on man, a Hali Hunter never reveals his spots, otherwise I would be asking Foghorn and that will never happen!!:D:cool:

All I would say is its close, come on man, a Hali Hunter never reveals his spots, otherwise I would be asking Foghorn and that will never happen!!:D:cool:

The spot exists, I am in doubt anyone that has it marked on their plotter would be willing to share it here.

I have not seen anyone there the last few times I have been out but I will say others have seen and learned from people being anchored there

Spent 4 hours SE of Discovery on the anchor looking for hali. Beautiful day on the water for mid winter, flat calm. Only one dogfish to show for our efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back