Status
Not open for further replies.
16 ft is about max at anything but high tide. The ramp is very shallow incline. There is no dock and very uneven rutted ramp. It is best for small boats and only has parking for max of 6 vehicles. Our 14 ft Lund will launch at even the lowest tide. Not a great place to launch fiberglass hulls. Best check it out at medium to low tide. Good luck. I have been a member there for years only because my boat is small and aluminum.

16 ft is about max at anything but high tide. The ramp is very shallow incline. There is no dock and very uneven rutted ramp. It is best for small boats and only has parking for max of 6 vehicles. Our 14 ft Lund will launch at even the lowest tide. Not a great place to launch fiberglass hulls. Best check it out at medium to low tide. Good luck. I have been a member there for years only because my boat is small and aluminum.
One thing not mentioned yet about James Bay ramp - as well as having no dock, there is no protection from waves, so you need to be able to handle your boat in whatever waves are there when you launch or retrieve. I had a few exciting moments with my 16' Skookum Sealer - trying to put the boat back on the trailer after the wind and waves had picked up. The few minutes to Esquimalt Anglers is easily worth it in my opinion.

At Cattle Pt, I always preferred the northerly ramp -- neither ramp has a dock, but the northerly one isn't nearly as busy, parking is easy, and its much more protected from waves - making it easier to handle the boat - with just the marked rock to avoid.

Both ramps would benefit by a dock -- even a seasonal one. And some boom sticks to break the waves.

One thing not mentioned yet about James Bay ramp - as well as having no dock, there is no protection from waves, so you need to be able to handle your boat in whatever waves are there when you launch or retrieve. I had a few exciting moments with my 16' Skookum Sealer - trying to put the boat back on the trailer after the wind and waves had picked up. The few minutes to Esquimalt Anglers is easily worth it in my opinion.

At Cattle Pt, I always preferred the northerly ramp -- neither ramp has a dock, but the northerly one isn't nearly as busy, parking is easy, and its much more protected from waves - making it easier to handle the boat - with just the marked rock to avoid.

Both ramps would benefit by a dock -- even a seasonal one. And some boom sticks to break the waves.
Thanks for your opinion.

At the James Bay Anglers ramp, there has been a lot of neglect on the part of upkeep. A dock would be useful no doubt, but as being owned by the GVHA, the JBAA have to pay a lease for existing. Which entails insurance. Just think of the liability the ramp has for accommodating. The JBAA Executive is all volunteers, and even saying that, there is very little effort from them to get anything rolling as it has to be approved by the GVHA. Honestly, its people that point out the problems that really should be helping out. Flemming Beach is by far the best in this area to boat launch, but Esquimalt City owns and maintains it.

I can go on and on for you Eden Island, but I'm sure you only care about what's important to you for your use. All good, but saying this its hard to motivate people to help. Lots of complainers out there.

Thanks for your opinion.

At the James Bay Anglers ramp, there has been a lot of neglect on the part of upkeep. A dock would be useful no doubt, but as being owned by the GVHA, the JBAA have to pay a lease for existing. Which entails insurance. Just think of the liability the ramp has for accommodating. The JBAA Executive is all volunteers, and even saying that, there is very little effort from them to get anything rolling as it has to be approved by the GVHA. Honestly, its people that point out the problems that really should be helping out. Flemming Beach is by far the best in this area to boat launch, but Esquimalt City owns and maintains it.

I can go on and on for you Eden Island, but I'm sure you only care about what's important to you for your use. All good, but saying this its hard to motivate people to help. Lots of complainers out there.
I've made all 3 ramps work when I was using a 16' boat - with a 23' for the past 20 years, I've focussed on what works. I know GVHA is a handful, and Oak Bay is a lump when it comes to change. I spend hundreds of hours a year volunteering, just not on the ramps we're discussing.

Thanks for your opinion.

Hey : curious if you recall the 65' Pelagic Packers from V M D being launched there (no rigging installed yet)? (early 70s) Now that was a show! I recall 2 in one day! When the straps on the trailer were left on and the Truck was dragged in and cables snapping on the tow trucks trying to recover . We used that ramp for years with the 12' tinner then when the old man bought fiberglass we changed to Flemming. I recall cutting firewood at jbaa after big storms. A great ramp for the right application! Best Regards

Attachments

• pelagic-longliner-packer-tender.jpg
    pelagic-longliner-packer-tender.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
FYI, my thoughts were not complaints. I like launching at JBA as it is not crowded. Not much volunteers could do there as GVHA has authority. I like it just the way it is.

FYI, my thoughts were not complaints. I like launching at JBA as it is not crowded. Not much volunteers could do there as GVHA has authority. I like it just the way it is.
I'm complaining, and I'm a big complainer of the ramp. No offence to anyone who complains. It would be better if there was more boats launching at our ramp, but the estimate is $250 K to re-do. We try our best to keep the ramp clean, but the ramp is exposed to the West winds. Which is why we have a free wood pile. we like you "tinboatrobb" keep coming and launching.

I'll start a thread on this one so the Admin is happy. Sorry;)

Back to the reports.

Waterfront seems to be very slow yesterday and today. Hit some small ones both days but nothing kept. Very little bait to be seen. By now the herring should be everywhere. Hoping they show up soon

Never see one of these before, was there a shaker last night ?

Alerts for: Greater Victoria​

Warnings​

5:04 AM PST Saturday 15 January 2022
Tsunami advisory in effect for:
  • Zone D - the Juan de Fuca Strait from Jordan River to Greater Victoria including the Saanich Peninsula
A tsunami advisory has been issued. There is a possibility of strong localized currents. No significant inundation is expected, but low lying coastal areas and beaches may be at risk. A tsunami is a series of waves. The first wave may not be the largest.

People in coastal areas that are at risk are advised to stay away from the shoreline and heed instructions from local authorities.

Please minimize phone use in affected areas. For further information go to the Emergency Management British Columbia website at www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca or the National Tsunami Warning Center website at www.tsunami.gov.
Issued by Environment Canada on behalf of Emergency Management British Columbia

Never see one of these before, was there a shaker last night ?

Alerts for: Greater Victoria​

Warnings​

5:04 AM PST Saturday 15 January 2022
Tsunami advisory in effect for:
  • Zone D - the Juan de Fuca Strait from Jordan River to Greater Victoria including the Saanich Peninsula
A tsunami advisory has been issued. There is a possibility of strong localized currents. No significant inundation is expected, but low lying coastal areas and beaches may be at risk. A tsunami is a series of waves. The first wave may not be the largest.

People in coastal areas that are at risk are advised to stay away from the shoreline and heed instructions from local authorities.

Please minimize phone use in affected areas. For further information go to the Emergency Management British Columbia website at www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca or the National Tsunami Warning Center website at www.tsunami.gov.
Issued by Environment Canada on behalf of Emergency Management British Columbia
Volcano erupted in tonga

Did a trip yesterday out of Fleming as a guest of another member. We started about 8am and were into a couple of shakers each pretty quick. Put back a just over un-marked fish and then got the only decent one of the day at 0930 right between the Green can buoy and the breakwater. 6ish pounds and clipped. 85' on the rigger, chartreuse koho killer and purple onion flasher. Prawning was a let-down with a handful of prawns and some juvenile sablefish on a 4 hour soak. Beauty day on the water and quite a few other boats out.

James Bay Anglers don’t know where yr getting yr information about us as we have been around 70 yrs!Esquimalt Municipality owns the building we maintain it ,we just spent $225,000 3 yrs ago for 9 new wharfs built by Jenkins Marine! Esquimalt Cleans the ramp for us as required we Enhance Craigflower Crk plus Colquitz Crk also with Finances plus Manpower also Goldstream Hatchery , we have had to raise our ramp fees as we need to raise $160,000 for 5 more wharfs ,:there is No Grants to help us out ( President Gary C )

Got out today in the tsunami & fog so stayed off Esq. 5 smaller springs to the side of the boat, flat calm day and a full crab trap made for a great 1st trip of the yr,

A few familiar boats out today. Beautiful calm but slow tides. Not great for salmon IMO. Trolled the flats for two hours. Not a sniff or much on the sounder. Went over to the Gap to catch the first big surge of the p.m. ebb. Lots more on the sounder. 2:30 Straight out from the gap in 110ft had a few taps and then a solid hit. Played a very good fish for about 5 minutes. Great scrap. A few back and fourths, took a long surface run, worked it back within sight and then snap went my line. Low-Mid teens I'd guess. PMO! Whole herring above a dummy flasher. Only fish I touched all day.

One trap, 4 good D crabs.

A few familiar boats out today. Beautiful calm but slow tides. Not great for salmon IMO. Trolled the flats for two hours. Not a sniff or much on the sounder. Went over to the Gap to catch the first big surge of the p.m. ebb. Lots more on the sounder. 2:30 Straight out from the gap in 110ft had a few taps and then a solid hit. Played a very good fish for about 5 minutes. Great scrap. A few back and fourths, took a long surface run, worked it back within sight and then snap went my line. Low-Mid teensalso. I don't know what you have now. No fish. 8 big crab though. I'd guess. PMO! Whole herring above a dummy flasher. Only fish I touched all day.

One trap, 4 good D crabs.
Post a pick of your boat, we were out in the gap also

The aluminum boat you launched ahead of. :) I think you guys all left the Gap by the time I showed up. There was one other fellow alone in a 14' tinner while I was there.

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_113407610_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211121_113407610_HDR.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 174
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back