Status
Not open for further replies.
Good mid day bite for us at Otter today. We went 3 for 5 in about an hour once it started. It was shallow for us with rods at 35 and 50 feet in about 50 feet of water off 3rd rock. Bait and spoons both worked equally well. Almost got spooled by one which we never saw. Just as well. We’d likely have had to release it anyway.
I hope your out again tomorrow??? every time you came near me we got fish you were my good luck charm!!! LOL
Was probably the best bite ive seen this year got our limit and one for me ... biggest was 17 and a bit and we put it out of its misery as it had some nasty gashes on its side... thats him on the dock it was so gross i didnt want to post it...
1660616362655.png

I hope your out again tomorrow??? every time you came near me we got fish you were my good luck charm!!! LOL
Was probably the best bite ive seen this year got our limit and one for me ... biggest was 17 and a bit and we put it out of its misery as it had some nasty gashes on its side... thats him on the dock it was so gross i didnt want to post it...
View attachment 83608
Happy to be of service LOL. Back to the desk for the rest of the week and then off to Bamfield for another week starting Sunday. This time with my wife which I’m really looking forward to! The bite today was totally reminiscent of this time last year. You guys should have an awesome week or two ahead of you! Wish I could join in but unfortunately duty calls.

Last edited:
traveled back from Bamfield today and decided to stop in at Muir and Otter.
sure glad we did. Great action. Much better than Bamfield was last week.
lots of arches on the screen. Got a 16 and a 10 plus a couple of hatchery coho.
all on anchovy.
beautiful day too
saw this 2 guys out in an 8’ dinghy.
E7B0BE58-93AC-4C85-8D3D-F9E5D8765617.jpeg
lots of arches on the screen
DB2FE83F-ED8C-41E6-965C-FDCE1D6EDC66.jpeg

Last edited:
Read the Fishery Notice https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=261328&ID=all for your area. Victoria waterfront to Sooke that most on this forum fish goes to two (2) chinook per day Sep. 1, subject to minimum and annual limit. Consider entering SVIAC derby once you can keep those big ones - it's for a good cause. Apologies admin if such promotion is verbotten; you have the privilege of removing this post.

traveled back from Bamfield today and decided to stop in at Muir and Otter.
sure glad we did. Great action. Much better than Bamfield was last week.
lots of arches on the screen. Got a 16 and a 10 plus a couple of hatchery coho.
all on anchovy.
beautiful day too
saw this 2 guys out in an 8’ dinghy.
View attachment 83674
lots of arches on the screen
View attachment 83675

I used to launch a 12’ tinnie off the beach there all the time and jig . Always made me laugh to be out there with the big boys in their boats Trolling around me

Out today (Wed) at Otter, fished 8-11:30. Seemed to be a bite around 9. We lost one at the boat on bait and landed one on coho killer spoon. The the ebb started flowing and things went quiet until about 11, when a boat near us seemed to get 2 keeper springs in about 20 min. Nothing more for us. Great day on the water!!

I used to launch a 12’ tinnie off the beach there all the time and jig . Always made me laugh to be out there with the big boys in their boats Trolling around me
Ya, when I was very young, went fishing often in a dinghy rowboat and zodiac Inflatable boat. It was fun. But had to watch for floating salad out there.

Ya, when I was very young, went fishing often in a dinghy rowboat and zodiac Inflatable boat. It was fun. But had to watch for floating salad out there.
fished a lot with my uncle who lived just east of Otter Point. we would launch his 12' aluminum with a 6 hp outboard from his beach and start trolling towards the point. 12 oz. peetz weights, Pal dodger and Rhys Davis Super strip trimmed to fit in a Rhys Davis minnow teaser head.
hooked plenty of Chinook and Coho off the point.
i could never figure out how he would be able to tell me exactly when we were going to get a strike!

Will the max cm rule on springs going to be removed soon or is it for the full season?
Wish it was removed today. On our way back to Pedder Bay (1pm) after fishing mostly off of Church, we trolled in tighter to shoreline of Whirlbay and had one to the side of the boat which measured 88-90cm (our best effort at measuring it in the water).. Nice fat beauty.

Around 10-11am we had several doubles along with pretty steady hits just off of Church area. Most were unclipped coho. We kept one clipped coho and one unclipped spring in the 5lb range. Skinny G on one side and Wee G on the other with DR depth from 55ft to 80ft..

Went out yesterday at about 12 noon, started at the Trap Shack and stayed there. Got into a spring in 5 mins, then played and lost another 8 springs. Then about 3pm, got a slammer and released a 93cm spring, just as that one was released, picked up a red 76cm spring. Caught and released a couple more small springs after that. One was a football 9 lber and its head and tail should have been on a 5 lb spring, but let it go as my buddy want to get a bigger size. All together about 13 springs hooked, 8 lost 1 kept, and 4 released. By 5 pm it went dead, so started making my way to Beech Head and got a hard slamming hit but didn't stick. Tried for a few more hours then went to the crab trap. It was stuffed with over 20 females, its was just an estrogen party. Seen the seal lions around, also seen large fish probably springs torpedoing on the surface specifically on the Trap Shack Reef on bait 5-7 inchers. Sockeyes were also flopping around. Pelicans have arrived too. All fish were caught at 57ft & 85ft, white/ green hoochie, and anchovy.IMG_0367.jpeg

Can attest to it going quiet after 5 as we didn't hit the water until then. Got 1 about 10 lbs just off the Trap reef around 6 and that was it for us. Saw maybe another 6 nets used for the rest of the evening. Lots of bait on the surface and a cracker of an evening weather wise. Forgot to take a pic of the fish but did snap one of the stomach contents as well as the Pelicans.

20220818_213903.jpg

20220817_202100.jpg

20220818_145241.jpg

Last edited:
Can attest to it going quiet after 5 as we didn't hit the water until then. Got 1 about 10 lbs just off the Trap reef around 6 and that was it for us. Saw maybe another 6 nets used for the rest of the evening. Lots of bait on the surface and a cracker of an evening weather wise. Forgot to take a pic of the fish but did snap one of the stomach contents as well as the Pelicans.

View attachment 83749

View attachment 83750

View attachment 83752
Nice to hear that from you as I usually get panicky when seeing your your reply after mine, like "Oh what have I done this time?" It was a bit tricky staying at the trap with that Commercial Troller doing his auto-pilot. would not want to being doing that in the fog. Going to try crack of dawn tomorrow.

I fished 6:45 to 8:45 Aldridge to the head with only a couple shakers. Did not see a fish caught. Bait everywhere. Crazy amount of bait
What’s with the pelicans? If that is what they are. There were a ton. Not a very graceful bird. Slammining themselves into the water to feed. They fly ok but hit the water like a plane wreck. Lol.

Did an afternoon trip yesterday. Started off by losing a down rigger cover on my way from Langford to Cheanuh. ( A used DR with the digital counter that I recently bought as a spare but was using it as it's much faster than my other ones.) Had the other DR on board so did the swap and good to go.

Lines down at Aldridge at 1:30pm. A couple of quick doubles with small shaker springs. Slowed down after than but still random small springs and wild coho every 20mins or so. (55-75ft on DR) My buddy kept a 5lb spring and I kept one clipped coho that we picked up on our way back into the bay at 6pm (81 and 91 ft on DR)

Still been good have to work for them but still getting them this is my group from Calgary 24th year coming fishing with me and weather was great , until today wow cool storm here is the pics1660962798175.png1660962825797.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back