Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinook no retention until Aug 01
45 cm min
Except for a small area inside Becher.
Hatchery coho open 30 cm min
As far as I can decipher.
After they open on Aug 1st there is a max size limit on springs of 80cm. After Sept 1st I believe it is 2 per day over 45 cm. I don’t have the regs in front of me now but they have been posted on this site. Do a search and you’ll find the details.

I was out today and for June 29th from 5 years ago its VERY sad i went out for "fun" at 5 am and was 2nd boat at possession , saw 1 boat at trap and then a few boys came out for a total of 7 boats from trap shack to otter point . So with these regs in place if they whales are so called "starving" HOW THE ACCUAL F$%^ can that be?? I can officially say DFO has done what they wanted the righting is on the wall get rid of sportfishing.
On the plus side caught 6 springs in a few hours I dont want to even talk about size cause really it doesn matter anymore. what was something we used to do off sooke with family and friends is in the past now ...I never thought Id see that day in just a few years.

I was out today and for June 29th from 5 years ago its VERY sad i went out for "fun" at 5 am and was 2nd boat at possession , saw 1 boat at trap and then a few boys came out for a total of 7 boats from trap shack to otter point . So with these regs in place if they whales are so called "starving" HOW THE ACCUAL F$%^ can that be?? I can officially say DFO has done what they wanted the righting is on the wall get rid of sportfishing.
On the plus side caught 6 springs in a few hours I dont want to even talk about size cause really it doesn matter anymore. what was something we used to do off sooke with family and friends is in the past now ...I never thought Id see that day in just a few years.
You are so right I hate possibly killing a fish I have to release so I haven’t been out since April first. I am seriously thinking of selling my ocean boat and just fish fresh water that DFO doesn’t regulate

Once again, we understand the frustration of the regulations, but there are threads in the Conservation section to vent and discuss this topic. Please keep this area for fishing reports as intended.

Thanks.

I was out monday and tuesday taking some visiting friends from Vancouver for coho. Monday started off at beachy and took a bit but go into a few coho but not has hot fishing as I had hoped.

Was just inside the bay when a pin pooper hit and started peeling line with the reel screaming. It hit a lure that was at 50ft down in about 400ft of water. pulled the other rod in and turned downriggers forward out of the way. Took us over 20 something minutes to bring a large chinook to the boat. Hook set was deep in the hard mouth and couldn't get it out at the side of the boat. Got the rubber net and freed the hook and released the fish back in the water in minimal time. Weather was nice and sunny, seas were calm picked up crab traps on the way back and got a few nice keepers.

Tuesday went out and started at the head but it was choppy and my friend and his parents got queasy (land lubbers) so I upped gear and moved to secretary island and found a school of coho that kept us entertained for a while. Trolled back from there to the head with the fast current and got a few incidental chinook and the odd coho. Weather was cold and windy so we packed it up and headed home and picked up crab traps.

My visitors said they had an amazing time but I said the fishing was decent but not as good as it could have been. Overall I was happy to get a few fish to the boat for them to play.

Last edited:
Once again, we understand the frustration of the regulations, but there are threads in the Conservation section to vent and discuss this topic. Please keep this area for fishing reports as intended.
it is and was a report!!! of how many springs I caught and what I saw... yes I went on a bit of a rant so what . its the truth ...

or do I just post yup 1 fish ..............12 feet white hoochy????

Sorry but a report is of everything no offence...

No one said you didn't file a report, however, the next post didn't have a report but picked up on the restrictions theme and how it is impacting fishing opportunities. Again, those comments are fair and welcome, just asking nicely that they are posted in the appropriate threads.

In regards to regulations, has anyone heard whether D.F.O. plans to allow 1 wild coho each as of oct.1 ??????? as in previous yrs ? I cant find regs... thanx for any info.........C.A......

Lots of smaller fish around but too much bucking around in the chop this morning for this cowboy.
Same for us, stuck it out for a few hours, several double headers, but all small and wild coho.Tried inside Becher for an hour or so, saw one fish on and then lost by a guy going solo (felt for him, so close).

We gave the Becher Bay spring retention area a go this morning--mostly because it was out of the wind. Quite a few boats in there with the same idea and didn't seem like there was much for fish. Went out near the Head for a couple hours in the wind and slop and hit a few smaller fish, was happy to send a young fisher home with a hatchery coho, his first salmon. Hootchies at 90 ft was the only thing working for us today.

I think I am the only one that loves having minimal boats at a spot. Only boat at trap shack in July lol. Just Mooching two rods had over 10 spring on yesterday, every fish I landed swam away strong! Good fun. I know it would be frustrating for guides trying to run a buisness because most people it's only fun for them if they can fill the fish hatch but I love the c&r especially when fishings good. No big ones for me yesterday just teeners.

THESE CLOSURES SUCKS !!!!!! thinking of yourself is the biggest reason we will never get away from these closures. Divide and concur

Yeah I get the perspectives. Personally I love being on the water fishing, and long long before the regulatory realities of today I was releasing the majority of my my chinook salmon, particularly the larger ones. I prefer to have the ability to make that call on when/what to retain but I appreciate the challenging realities of managing this fishery. So if you're sitting off the Head on a July long weekend and there are 10 boats around instead of 100... yeah pros / cons, but think about what exactly the options would be if you were managing this.

I DO support the local sports fishing industry.

Something that you might consider about bonking fish.... I fish from the shore and am lucky if I catch one or two salmon per year. THESE are food fish for me and my family. I do not do catch and release and do not own a boat. so the only real chance for me to catch a salmon is now JUST the month of August. I used to fish from May to August for a few salmon......... not anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back