Status
Not open for further replies.
Another decent day halibut fishing out of Sooke.
Got on the anchor at 8am, caught an 80cm right as the ebb slowed down around 9:30.
Same combo has caught my last 4 halibut, herring behind a white Gibbs hali hog.
Stopped on the way back to the dock and jigged up a couple cod also.

Attachments

• IMG_20220611_141347_171.jpg
    IMG_20220611_141347_171.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 164
I know it’s not a report but I’d like to offer a shout out to an awesome local guy today. Launching the boat for a shake down cruise at Sunny Shores my wallet fell out of my pocket as I was walking from trailer parking to the dock. When I returned to the dock I was greeted by a fellow holding my wallet. It was Tom Jenkins. He built the Sea West 692 that I absolutely love and I was so thrilled to not only have that great display of integrity showed in returning my wallet, but to have the chance to meet the person who built the boat that my wife and I so thoroughly enjoy. What a great experience. Thank you Tom for not only building such a superb boat, but for being such a stand up guy. Sometimes you meet a person who reinforces what a great community that anglers and boaters are. I got that chance today. Thank you Tom!!’

Another decent day halibut fishing out of Sooke.
Got on the anchor at 8am, caught an 80cm right as the ebb slowed down around 9:30.
Same combo has caught my last 4 halibut, herring behind a white Gibbs hali hog.
Stopped on the way back to the dock and jigged up a couple cod also.
nice

Another great day halibut fishing in Sooke! Fished from 7-10am and caught a 96cm & 103cm hali, and released a good sized skate. The 103cm came on mudraker style jig, and the other fish came on my lucky combo (white halihawg with herring). Caught 5 dogfish in between and Forgot the gaff again

Attachments

• image000003 (1).jpg
    image000003 (1).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 171
  • image000002 (1).jpg
    image000002 (1).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 156
  • image000001 (2).jpg
    image000001 (2).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 149
  • image000000 (3).jpg
    image000000 (3).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 165
Yesterday went out for the first trip ((cant believe Im saying that times have sure changed) insane fishing off sooke 9 springs to boat al untouched flipped off with a Gaff , mix of coho as well,
Today east winds YUUUCK did a few deeper passes for coho said screw it went in shore in 2 hours 11 springs to boat biggest about a 20 ish. havent seen so many fish ... my quandary is this??? since we are saving these fish for the "whales" where are they ??? did DFO forget to tell the "whales " the fish are here for you???

The whales past by last weekend as I was releasing a spring. I don't think they like those stinky things anymore.
Slow for us off east sooke this morning. A mix of small coho and springs with only two over 10 lbs. Skinny G "no bananas" outfished everything else including bait. Lots of crap in the water to contend with. First beautiful day on a weekend. Lots of folks out enjoying it. About 10 people fishing from shore off the head at dawn. Good for them! If there's anyone that should be aloud to keep a fish I vote for them.

It it possible that you just might have not given them enough room ??? I make a point of moving out of range of shore casters.
If you’ve ever fished there, sometimes it’s just not possible to give them room due to all the other boats in the mix. When it happened to me, I wasn’t even the inside boat. The guy just picked a gap and let er rip.

If you’ve ever fished there, sometimes it’s just not possible to give them room due to all the other boats in the mix. When it happened to me, I wasn’t even the inside boat. The guy just picked a gap and let er rip.
If you like catching big fish you want to rub the kelp as close as possible.. im definitely not going to avoid the kelp because someone is fishing from shore!! They can wait while you get a pass in just like all the other boats would have to if you were fishing next to each other .

Damn sad that some will not even give way a little bit to allow those with no boat a reasonable chance to catch a fish.. Remember guys-- its a BIG ocean that you can access. The shore casters are very limited in the productive areas they can access. MOVE DAMMIT! Be a sportsman.

I took one of my sons out mid morning Saturday to poke around for some lingcod and do a little salmon fishing. Couldn't find any good sized lingcod but the salmon fishing was just what I was hoping for--a mixed bag of spring and coho out near the Head. We trolled spoons and hootchies around for a few hours and had steady action, released and lost a few springs and bagged a 6lb hatchery coho. That is going on the BBQ tonight, first salmon dinner of the summer season for us. Action for us was 70 to 100 ft. We were fishing well off the shoreline, out to about 400 feet--in years past I liked to hug the shorelines and slow troll bait and was only interested in the big score--times have changed! Glad we can still enjoy being on the water though.

Enjoyed a fabulous weather day on the water with my youngest son and a good buddy. At 16, he is finally getting into this fishing thing, as he asked me to go today! It paid off as he reeled up a smaller Chinook about 10 minutes in and we doubled up with a small Coho on the other side. We had a couple other hits and 3 more Coho, but no keepers. It then got a little quiet and he was in the middle of a nap when the next hit came and after I set the hook, I wasn't sure I would wake him up, until the fish took off on a big run. He jumped up and fought the fish like a champ. We got it to the boat, got the hook out and a quick lift for a photo and it was back in the drink to live another day. Suffice to say he is "hooked" on this fishing thing!

IMG_7839.jpg

Such a beautiful day on the water!

20220626_115338.jpg

20220626_090948.jpg

The winning combo at 48 ft on the rigger.

20220626_161014.jpg

Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble with the obscure fishing regulations posted on the govt. fishing B.C. web.? Im not a university grad. .Can anyone tell me when we can keep springs and coho , what length ? etc. I have phoned the local conservation officer in Duncan several times in regards to area 20-5.Sooke area with no results..........Every time the answer is a recorded one." If I dont answer the phone now im busy leave a message and i'll get back to you" then the voice says sorry the the message board is full. What a way to run a fisheries........C.A.

Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble with the obscure fishing regulations posted on the govt. fishing B.C. web.? Im not a university grad. .Can anyone tell me when we can keep springs and coho , what length ? etc. I have phoned the local conservation officer in Duncan several times in regards to area 20-5.Sooke area with no results..........Every time the answer is a recorded one." If I dont answer the phone now im busy leave a message and i'll get back to you" then the voice says sorry the the message board is full. What a way to run a fisheries........C.A.
20-5 is inside of beecher bay . U can keep 1 hatchery chinook per person

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back