2022 Prince Rupert Fishing Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advise... does a guy need to play the tides going through the channel from the harbor out to Tugwell or is it ok even at lowest tide? How much wind in the forecast is to much to make the run across to Melville or Avery? Keep in mind i'm only running a 20' boat, and i understand there is "its doable but it's going to suck" wind and then there is "Don't even think about it" wind!
going out of the harbor through Metlakatla is fine on the lowest tides stay on the right sides of the buoys if you haven't gone this way before its good to follow another boat to get a track set. Also watch you speed/wake around the ferry dock. It can get nasty half wat across if there is wind coming out of the west I circled the underwater panicles in red that can be bad. Sometimes we hide behind Hodson's reef then head west to stay out of the leeward winds. most of the time it's fine we run a 21' boat with hardly an issue.

Attachments

• tugwell.png
    tugwell.png
    774.9 KB · Views: 84
Well today was without knowing the proper word I’ll go with incredible
Fishing Avery pretty slow day picking up the odd smaller fish here and there decided to jig up some of the herring that moved in and throw on some cut plugs and not to long after my port rod popped off the clip and stayed down …. Kinda sat there after a hookset and about a 200 yds run I knew my guest had hooked into something special I cleared the rods flashed up the mains and started backing down on this fish maybe foul hooked 20 lbr who knows at this point we got on top of it and then took off the other direction eventually after 20 or so minutes it came and broke the surface I couldn’t quite tell if a sea lion had grabbed it or if this was the one it kept running and running got on top of it again and then we got our first look…. It was the one we spend of lives looking for after 4 attempts to net the fish couldn’t quite get it to turn then finally up beside the boat scooped it in the net and looked down and almost threw up after some quick measurements and pictures we got to shake hands with this 49x33 Chinook and watch it swim off to fight another day… what an incredible experience

Attachments

• 9615C45C-27C6-4091-A18B-ABDBAF9D99E0.jpeg
    9615C45C-27C6-4091-A18B-ABDBAF9D99E0.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 290
  • C2371C16-F580-4B64-AD17-26DE760D255C.jpeg
    C2371C16-F580-4B64-AD17-26DE760D255C.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 043A3B2F-889F-4707-B652-CD4ABD6FFA52.jpeg
    043A3B2F-889F-4707-B652-CD4ABD6FFA52.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 295
Fishing Avery pretty slow day picking up the odd smaller fish here and there decided to jig up some of the herring that moved in and throw on some cut plugs and not to long after my port rod popped off the clip and stayed down …. Kinda sat there after a hookset and about a 200 yds run I knew my guest had hooked into something special I cleared the rods flashed up the mains and started backing down on this fish maybe foul hooked 20 lbr who knows at this point we got on top of it and then took off the other direction eventually after 20 or so minutes it came and broke the surface I couldn’t quite tell if a sea lion had grabbed it or if this was the one it kept running and running got on top of it again and then we got our first look…. It was the one we spend of lives looking for after 4 attempts to net the fish couldn’t quite get it to turn then finally up beside the boat scooped it in the net and looked down and almost threw up after some quick measurements and pictures we got to shake hands with this 49x33 Chinook and watch it swim off to fight another day… what an incredible experience
Hell yeah!

What a fish!

It was the one we spend of lives looking for after 4 attempts to net the fish couldn’t quite get it to turn then finally up beside the boat scooped it in the net and looked down and almost threw up after some quick measurements and pictures we got to shake hands with this 49x33 Chinook and watch it swim off to fight another day… what an incredible experience
Beauty Bryce, must have been close to 50 lb ?

Three more days left fishing is very slow for salmon we picked up 5 coho so far released 20+ springs the biggest around 35lbs some nice lings and halibut landed. I did have the pleasure of fishing around Bryce and the Gladiator one day. I wish I would have taken a picture what a fishing boat he has to take clients out on. My boy was down at the dick and was hanging out with the people who own this ship and they let him fish off their dock boat lucky guy. I told him he should have asked for a job lol. Running down to Hartley bay tomorrow for springs.

Attachments

• E499CEBD-14DD-431D-A211-9B106B45D9F6.jpeg
    E499CEBD-14DD-431D-A211-9B106B45D9F6.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 486256BF-9E41-41FE-96BE-4FE969C5E963.jpeg
    486256BF-9E41-41FE-96BE-4FE969C5E963.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 9CC5313F-EC71-4284-8441-EFE3F204303A.jpeg
    9CC5313F-EC71-4284-8441-EFE3F204303A.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 127
Do most folks travel through narrows and Metlakatla to get to Avery from Rushbrook or is it quicker/easier to go around the south of Digby Island?

Do most folks travel through narrows and Metlakatla to get to Avery from Rushbrook or is it quicker/easier to go around the south of Digby Island?
Through metlakatla pass south side of digby if heading to edye pass humpback area

Heading up later than usual this year for unexpected reasons. We will be up the second week of August and looking forward to getting into some large coho. Planning to check out the top of the Work Channel and staying overnight. Curious if anyone has tucked into Port Simpson the last few years and spent the night.

Also hopeful to get into maybe a late Spring or two what are my chances of that?

Thanks,
Mike

Heading up later than usual this year for unexpected reasons. We will be up the second week of August and looking forward to getting into some large coho. Planning to check out the top of the Work Channel and staying overnight. Curious if anyone has tucked into Port Simpson the last few years and spent the night.

Also hopeful to get into maybe a late Spring or two what are my chances of that?

Thanks,
Mike
There’s still quite a few springs around then

Fished July 8-9 at Avery. pretty slow. A couple small springs, sent them back. July 11 trolled Avery again for 4 hrs ish… lots of hits but only one coho landed.
Couple Hali at Lucy both times.

Has there been any updates on Chinook opening? Last I heard was closed from June 15th to July 15th. Tyee test fishery showing good numbers in the system

Has there been any updates on Chinook opening? Last I heard was closed from June 15th to July 15th. Tyee test fishery showing good numbers in the system
We just received notification yesterday that the Chinook closure has been extended until Aug 1st. They are going to re-evaluate then.

We also received the notification of a 2-day gillnet opening for area 4. This opening started at 600 am this morning and ends tomorrow evening at 10 pm. It covers the entire approach for the Skeena. Morrell Pt - South Rachel - Lucy Island.

Keep the sportys sidelined so the commercial boys can get their share! Big conservation concern!

We just received notification yesterday that the Chinook closure has been extended until Aug 1st. They are going to re-evaluate then.

We also received the notification of a 2-day gillnet opening for area 4. This opening started at 600 am this morning and ends tomorrow evening at 10 pm. It covers the entire approach for the Skeena. Morrell Pt - South Rachel - Lucy Island.

Keep the sportys sidelined so the commercial boys can get their share! Big conservation concern!
Thanks North Coast, any Coho moving in?

We arrived a week ago in Prince Rupert we launched out of Port Edward. Have been up to Eddie’s Pass and Humpback bay. We have done all right in both areas, however compared to years past the coho seem to be less in numbers, Picking them up mostly around 30 -50 feet. White glow hoochies seem to work. Lots of Springs but can’t keep until 1 August. Eddies doesn’t let you down if you are looking for Hali chickens. Lots around. Had to change location for crabs, Kenahan is crabbed out. Nothing but ladies and undersized males. Still searching for a shrimp spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back