2022 Prince Rupert Fishing Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys any reports on the fishing lately? Heading to Avery or maybe Melville hopefully Thursday morning and then some ground fish after the morning bite. Thanks!

T
Just returned from PR. Salmon fishing was rather slow. We had the most action at Humpback Bay and South End Melville. Most Chinook were between 10-12 lb. Several 5-6 lb. fish in the mix. Fished with bait (Anchovy and Herring) as well as with Spoons. Heard very similar reports from others while up there with the odd guy telling stories about 25-27 lb. fish all over the place:)
Bottom fishing however was excellent.
Tight lines!

Just returned from PR. Salmon fishing was rather slow. We had the most action at Humpback Bay and South End Melville. Most Chinook were between 10-12 lb. Several 5-6 lb. fish in the mix. Fished with bait (Anchovy and Herring) as well as with Spoons. Heard very similar reports from others while up there with the odd guy telling stories about 25-27 lb. fish all over the place:)
Bottom fishing however was excellent.
Tight lines!
Right on! I love launching in port ed and fishing humpback..quick zip. I got out once last week and we got 2 springs at Avery, early bite. Smaller size. Some jacks around too. No luck at Melville few days ago, some good whitefish though forsure! Good luck out their!
T

Salmon fishing was slow for me and the crews I talk to today bottom fishing is great
Keep us posted I see a flood watch for Terrace hopefully not a major blow out that sends all kinds of wood and debris into Hecate straight.

Keep us posted I see a flood watch for Terrace hopefully not a major blow out that sends all kinds of wood and debris into Hecate straight.
It’s getting high! There’s wood nothing unbearable coming down yet but I think the worst is yet to come

Heading to Rupert on July 3rd, any tips would be great! Totally new area for me, so hopefully we are successful and up for a new adventure

Heading to Rupert on July 3rd, any tips would be great! Totally new area for me, so hopefully we are successful and up for a new adventure
Watch the weather the biggest tip in the next few weeks will be watching for logs if the skenna blows out. Other than that use the search feature here and read the last few years of reports. You should be set up from there

Well no chinook retention again. June 15 to July 15 with no announcement what will happen after July 15. Here's hoping there are some coho around the last week of June on my trip

that's prime time for big Springs at Dundas Island but i believe it's catch and release only during that time. if you do go try the wall, Kelp Point, Brundige channel and any other points along the North end of the island

2nd year rookie here, my dad and i fished out of Port Edward last year and did not to bad for having little experience on the ocean. We did real good on the Coho but were a little late for the Chinooks (mid August), fished Edye Pass and Humpback mostly as we didn't want to venture to far. Had very little luck with the Hali though, only caught one.

This year we're thinking of going out of Rupert and trying over around Melville and Avery, any tips for the rookies on things to be wary of? Whats the channel like between the harbor and Chatham?

We're also going to be putting in some crab traps, can a guy set them just across the harbor? How deep should they be?

Any info is much appreciated, going mid August again.

Thanks

2nd year rookie here, my dad and i fished out of Port Edward last year and did not to bad for having little experience on the ocean. We did real good on the Coho but were a little late for the Chinooks (mid August), fished Edye Pass and Humpback mostly as we didn't want to venture to far. Had very little luck with the Hali though, only caught one.

This year we're thinking of going out of Rupert and trying over around Melville and Avery, any tips for the rookies on things to be wary of? Whats the channel like between the harbor and Chatham?

We're also going to be putting in some crab traps, can a guy set them just across the harbor? How deep should they be?

Thanks
I’m no expert at all..definetly way more experienced guys here..but Avery has always been good to us for salmon. And their is good halibut spots around that area. Soft topped pinnacles 150-200 foot range. Got 3 chickens on sunday.
also I would not recommend leaving traps unattended in the harbour…Gunna leave it at that. As for depth I set for crab mostly around 40 foot mark. Although it’s been slow for me this year and again…I am an amateur compared to many here.

Thanks
I’m no expert at all..definetly way more experienced guys here..but Avery has always been good to us for salmon. And their is good halibut spots around that area. Soft topped pinnacles 150-200 foot range. Got 3 chickens on sunday.
also I would not recommend leaving traps unattended in the harbour…Gunna leave it at that. As for depth I set for crab mostly around 40 foot mark. Although it’s been slow for me this year and again…I am an amateur compared to many here.
I set my crab traps deep 120-150 and have a bunch of extra rebar welded in my traps so whoever takes my crabs has to work for them!
When your traps are still there it is productive!

Thanks
Look at the tide charts to see the tide change times and the wind every morning it can gets nautical on the south side of Lucy on the way to Avery it gets shallow there for a few miles. South end of Melville can produce from beaver rocks to Simpson rocks.

Look at the tide charts to see the tide change times and the wind every morning it can gets nautical on the south side of Lucy on the way to Avery it gets shallow there for a few miles. South end of Melville can produce from beaver rocks to Simpson rocks.
Thanks for the advise... does a guy need to play the tides going through the channel from the harbor out to Tugwell or is it ok even at lowest tide? How much wind in the forecast is to much to make the run across to Melville or Avery? Keep in mind i'm only running a 20' boat, and i understand there is "its doable but it's going to suck" wind and then there is "Don't even think about it" wind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back