2022 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't keep Chinook in 18-6 (and 7,8,9,10). It's easier to figure out in the app if you select the the sub region one at a time. Region 4 you can keep one in the slot size - so east side of Fairfax is ok, but watch out for the conservation area to the S. Fished it a bit over the weekend - endless shakers over there at seemingly all depths and found a coho closer to the surface, though. DFO was watching the non-retention side of Moresby on Sat, looked like they might have nabbed someone bonking one over there. Moved S a bit and found a nice 75cm Chinook near the spit. In about 100ft of water near the bottom on a skinny g. Great weekend for fishing.

Can't keep Chinook in 18-6 (and 7,8,9,10). It's easier to figure out in the app if you select the the sub region one at a time. Region 4 you can keep one in the slot size - so east side of Fairfax is ok, but watch out for the conservation area to the S. Fished it a bit over the weekend - endless shakers over there at seemingly all depths and found a coho closer to the surface, though. DFO was watching the non-retention side of Moresby on Sat, looked like they might have nabbed someone bonking one over there. Moved S a bit and found a nice 75cm Chinook near the spit. In about 100ft of water near the bottom on a skinny g. Great weekend for fishing.
Thanks Holeyship. I thought 18-10 was open, geez. I'm going to head over to Fairfax tomorrow for a bit. I'll report back. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Holeyship. I thought 18-10 was open, geez. I'm going to head over to Fairfax tomorrow for a bit. I'll report back. Thanks for sharing.
Fairfax has been dead. At least for me and a buddy who between the two of us have hit every tide since august 1st. Lots of bait and it’s shaker city but no action and not seeing nets from other boats. Very different from last year thus far…

I know it’s been beaten to death on these forums but the talk of non retention, slot size and DFO patrolling 1/2 of moresby just makes me laugh sadly (is that a thing?). For 12 hours on Sunday a “commercial“ seiner worked the flat calm waters off the pender bluffs. Smack in the middle of the whale zone. You simply can’t make this stuff up ‍

I could have put this in many threads but I’ll settle on the Gulf Islands fishing reports because I was fishing near Thrasher but in tight to the flat tops off Gabriola this afternoon. The sporty conditions made it necessary to tuck in out of the 20 mph NW winds.
I just got the carb done on the kicker and thought I’d do my due diligence trying it out before heading to Bamfield again on Wednesday.
Caught an under within two minutes of getting the lines out and connected on a fat wild 84cm that put up a great fight and was released unharmed as he was barely hooked under the jaw with no bleeding. Ended up boating a nice robust hatchery in the middle of the slot at 71 cm. Caught a couple more unders and called it quits after about 2 hours total.

I apologize in advance for this question? I have read/reread the latest bulletins from DFO and can't for the life of me figure out if I can fish for salmon (coho or chinook) in 18-4 or 18-6. I have been told fishing Fairfax Point is open. Does it matter east or west of the point? Please help clear this up for me before I get a ticket for being stupid.
Does this help at all? Looks to me like there is a big chinook non retention area and another large area with no salmon fishing allowed until November. Seems to be open east of Moresby in a small section?

Coho map: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/18-co-chq-eng.pdf

Chinook map: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/18-co-chq-eng.pdf

Hey guys. I'm usually fishing out of sidney. Wondering if it's been any better up there? I usually fish south side of Pender around this time but with it being closed I feel like trying some new spots. I'm reading you guys are fishing active pass. Might be a bit too sloppy beyond that for my boat but if it's a nice day out there any suggestions on where I could pick up a fish? Haven't fished north side of Pender is it fishy over there?

Lots of bait in sidney but as usual lots of little fish and the likelyhood of coming home skunked is pretty high most days. Any tips would be great. I've been looking on navionics to find these spots you guys talk about like thrasher and yellow point but can't seem to find them.

Hey guys. I'm usually fishing out of sidney. Wondering if it's been any better up there? I usually fish south side of Pender around this time but with it being closed I feel like trying some new spots. I'm reading you guys are fishing active pass. Might be a bit too sloppy beyond that for my boat but if it's a nice day out there any suggestions on where I could pick up a fish? Haven't fished north side of Pender is it fishy over there?

Lots of bait in sidney but as usual lots of little fish and the likelyhood of coming home skunked is pretty high most days. Any tips would be great. I've been looking on navionics to find these spots you guys talk about like thrasher and yellow point but can't seem to find them.
Those spots are up around Gabriola, (well Thrasher is) I'm going out on a scouting mission, drop a line and will report back. Either Moresby or Secret Island way.
Hope I got the regs right now haha

Scouting mission complete, Secret Island west Galiano. Yikes. Moresby tomorrow or Thursday. Cheaper to buy at the store :p

Looking for information regarding bottom fishing. Any areas around Moresby for bottom fishing. Going out tomorrow to fish the slack high and would like to bottom fish in the morning. Any suggestions?

any one fishing 18-1 off Mayne and Saturna, I've done alright in other years along the Mayne shoals, lings bite their too, I'm thinking of crossing from Tsawwassen Sunday.

I like that spot but isn’t Salamanca in 29-4, and still “no fishing for chinook” as part of FN0774?
It may be…..I have fished there in years past but not up to date on all the southern gulf island regulations in these last few screwy years of closures.

any one fishing 18-1 off Mayne and Saturna, I've done alright in other years along the Mayne shoals, lings bite their too, I'm thinking of crossing from Tsawwassen Sunday.
You must be staying out in the deep to avoid the RCA?

i know they dont leave much room, i was really thinking more 18 11 around saturna
Anyday going across the straight to fish is worth it on calm day. Take in the scenery and hope for some fish. Always boats fishing in front of cabbage, just make sure you stay away from the south. See attached

Attachments

• 2022-srkw-ers-overview-apercu-eng.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
Went out to Fairfax yesterday. Lots of boats when I got there. Didn't see any nets out. Had one hit using herring. Souder was showing a lot of bait and smaller fish. No luck for me. Good luck to all.

i know they dont leave much room, i was really thinking more 18 11 around saturna
I fished active pass mayne island side today for a few hours managed one Chinook about 60 cm and a wild coho both
which went back
Speaking of the RCA there seem to be a couple of boats out in that area most of the day … I never got close enough to see what they were doing but my guess would be fishing
Lots of marks but area is pretty hard to fish lots of outflow and ferry traffic had to stay in the eddy most of the time
You must be staying out in the deep to avoid the RCA?
i fished mayne island side near entrance to active today for a few hours … seemed to me there where a couple of boats out fishing in that RCA
Lots of small bait balls , strong currents , ferry traffic
Mananged one undersized and a wild coho both went back
Great day out there

Heading over in the anfr
Got out this morning off Grande. A lot less of the small fish around it seems. 1 shaker then a fish around the 50cm size before we landed a nice 75cm fish. UV white hoochie at 135'.
heading out from crescent beach marina Sunday morning. Anyone else heading over to Tumbo area??

Reactions: DJS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back