2021 Winter Harbour Reports

First time out in winter harbour, had some pretty nasty weather most of the weekend. Fishing out of a small boat had us hiding behind rock piles and in one nice spot just south of cliff point. Managed to scare up 4 springs and 4 lings all in the 10-15 lbs range. Loved the area, I’ll be back with hopefully a little better weather.

First time out in winter harbour, had some pretty nasty weather most of the weekend. Fishing out of a small boat had us hiding behind rock piles and in one nice spot just south of cliff point. Managed to scare up 4 springs and 4 lings all in the 10-15 lbs range. Loved the area, I’ll be back with hopefully a little better weather.
Hey - sent you a DM there, but wow, that was a nasty few days of wind.

Wondering what bait was showing up there, and what the fish were feeding on. Heading up on the July long weekend. Fishing out of a 17ft little boat, so won't be able to get outside to Grant or the Highway.

Hey - sent you a DM there, but wow, that was a nasty few days of wind.

Wondering what bait was showing up there, and what the fish were feeding on. Heading up on the July long weekend. Fishing out of a 17ft little boat, so won't be able to get outside to Grant or the Highway.
You can get out if the water sits for you, other wise it was green coyote killers just south of cliff point. Small bait was all over the sound, we got our lings at the red can at the mouth of winter harbour.

You can get out if the water sits for you, other wise it was green coyote killers just south of cliff point. Small bait was all over the sound, we got our lings at the red can at the mouth of winter harbour.
Thanks for the update. Good to hear there are a few lings close by and out of the swell.

Will be trying to get out to cliffe for a day this coming weekend as long as the forecast stays reasonable. It’s so good to see clear skies for the next few weeks. Just need a few hours in the morning before the winds pi

The boat needs a proper shake down run.

Does anybody have any information about fishing Chinook off shore after July 15th. Area 127 opens to retention I believe but I though last year there was size limit of of 65CM. Is there going to be a size limit again this year?
I could be wrong but I thought it was 45 cm, mind you were normally up in august. So I’m not sure if changes again

I could be wrong but I thought it was 45 cm, mind you were normally up in august. So I’m not sure if changes again
There is nothing out yet--the size limit was max 80 cm until 1 aug then 2 of any size above a min 45 cm last year. Who knows what DFO will do this year. Anyone's guess- they won't let it go til the last minute-so it can't be fought over and changed--that's how they work!!

Got back last weekend, fished the 18th-20th. A MUCH needed boys trip. Hali and ling fishing was great as usual. Managed a mix bag of springs and coho on the last morning. Whales were putting on a show as a bonus.

Me and my partner are heading up first week of august for the first time. We plan on fishing Hardy and Winter harbour this trip, just wondering how long a run from port Alice vs coal harbour is? We usually cruise 28-30mph with a 20ft searunner. I know North Hardy very well but haven’t been to Winter Harbour since the 90’s lol may need some pointers when we get there.

Me and my partner are heading up first week of august for the first time. We plan on fishing Hardy and Winter harbour this trip, just wondering how long a run from port Alice vs coal harbour is? We usually cruise 28-30mph with a 20ft searunner. I know North Hardy very well but haven’t been to Winter Harbour since the 90’s lol may need some pointers when we get there.
Run time is nearly identical.

The drive to Coal Harbour is way better. I do 18-20 knots and its roughly an hour and a half to two hours to Winter... I usually stop and fish cliffe point on the way in though.

Last weekend, especially Saturday when a pod of coho showed up, was pretty good for me at cliffe point. Green body flasher with the glow tape, 6ft leader and a no bananas spoon, or a 3” cop car with the glow seemed to be what our crew settled on for consistent action all day. Small bait in the stomachs.

First light bite was key, as was fishing the flood to high slack and through for about an hour. Had a few days where it was a little slow, and one day we got about two dozen shakers a day plus 6-8 shots at real fish. Would have sucked to go through 3 trays of bait lol.

The whole beach down to Harvey and into Harvey was good enough for me. Saw some boats at gooding, but I got scared by the swell/ wind and turned back.

Most fish were 12-20lb. Lost two fish to the seal that hangs around the pebble beach at cliffe. And had a few long line releases.

Struck out on Hali on the near shore water. Got a double header of 5ft dog fish instead.

but In 3 days we got salmon limits of coho and Chinook for our crew of 6 between two boats, and managed to troll up a couple lucky lings. Had no luck jigging the inside water. Seemed cleaned out.

sounded like if you went outside, there was good action for everything.

I may have to do the day trip run out there again one day this month until the regs change on the east side of the island.

Just heading home from Winter Harbour. Fished Tuesday through Friday morning. Cliffe Pt and down to Harvey Cove produced our limits of Springs to 25lbs and wild coho to 12lbs. Released dozens of undersized springs and quite a few 45-50”. Threw back about a dozen wild coho trying to find some hatchery coho. Managed to find 1. 4” Green and white spoons produced well for coho and green and white hootchies caught most of our springs. Cloudy mornings the fish were shallow, saw a spring take a hootchie off the surface this morning. Later in the day the fish moved out and went deeper. Found them down around 90’ in 180-250ft. Tried off Grant’s Bay for Hali but on pulled up a fat Yellow Eye. Sent it back down. By far the best fishing trip I’ve ever been on. Will definitely be back around the same time next year.

Hi all.. headed to WH for Aug 8-13.... added an extra day this year in hopes that we might try Tuna for the first time ever....
New Boat with twin 200's so daring enough to head out and see what we can find.... we expect to buy our tackle at the Outpost... so couple questions... 1) Will this be an OK time? 2) Will there be anyone around in WH who has done it before and would not mind a "partner" boat to come out with them.... please let me know... I will keep checking this forum until we leave. Thanks

Back