2021 Winter Harbour Reports

Tried it and like it. Just need to be cheap, I’m a poor retired fishing bum
I’ll bring you a 60 when I come out with the family to visit the mother-in-law next summer. Might cost you an evening on the boat though. Lol

I’ll bring you a 60 when I come out with the family to visit the mother-in-law next summer. Might cost you an evening on the boat though. Lol
Sounds great but I won’t be in Winter Harbour

Is anyone fishing coho in inlet in front of rivers? Jumpers? Schools? Narrows?
Just heard from a buddy who was beach fishing in Rupert Inlet. He said it was pretty slow, with most the fish he saw showing up on Friday.

I'm probably going to head up next weekend.

Fished a quick fri-sat and morning Sunday at WH. Went out for tuna on Friday, good water at 24miles 62 deg and blue. Tied new gear on ferry ride with less than ideal crimps after misplacing all my gear from last year. Had two leaders go away to slipped crimps that was annoying and my fault! I guess that's what happens when your rush and only sleep 1 hr in 24hrs-still i should have known better but it was a full send operation. Got the gear back out all fixed up and landed 1 more fish. It was very slow and a few boats around me also having issues getting on them. maybe a few fish per boat.

Tried again Sunday but only had the am to convert and struck out. Was talking to oli and his guides and they were scratching a bit. the odd fish but nothing crazy.

found time to hammer 3 limits of lings and limits of rockfish-total trip saver. Trolling swimbaits is very effective.
Heading back up Friday for a week of abuse. Cya guys up there.

Tuna water looks good still, hopefully they are biting a bit more like earlier last week!

Fished a quick fri-sat and morning Sunday at WH. Went out for tuna on Friday, good water at 24miles 62 deg and blue. Tied new gear on ferry ride with less than ideal crimps after misplacing all my gear from last year. Had two leaders go away to slipped crimps that was annoying and my fault! I guess that's what happens when your rush and only sleep 1 hr in 24hrs-still i should have known better but it was a full send operation. Got the gear back out all fixed up and landed 1 more fish. It was very slow and a few boats around me also having issues getting on them. maybe a few fish per boat.

Tried again Sunday but only had the am to convert and struck out. Was talking to oli and his guides and they were scratching a bit. the odd fish but nothing crazy.

found time to hammer 3 limits of lings and limits of rockfish-total trip saver. Trolling swimbaits is very effective.
Heading back up Friday for a week of abuse. Cya guys up there.

Tuna water looks good still, hopefully they are biting a bit more like earlier last week!
When trolling swim baits, are you using a flasher?

Is anyone fishing coho in inlet in front of rivers? Jumpers? Schools? Narrows?
I just came back yesterday from hiking in to San Josef bay. There were fish jumping everywhere. There was a guy out in a canoe spin casting, and when he came in to the beach I went over and talked to him.
He was having a blast. Fish were everywhere. He brought to the boat and realeased Chinooks some over twenty pounds. He was filleting a coho when I saw him and it was mid teens.
I know San Jo is a ways away, but it might be indicative of other river mouths up in that area of the island.
His go to lure for casting was a pink rip tide sitting on top of a green/chartuese needlefish. He casted it out into a boiling bunch of fish, reeled like crazy for twenty feet and then let it drop, and bang. The hits were always on the drops, kinda like jig fishing,

I just came back yesterday from hiking in to San Josef bay. There were fish jumping everywhere. There was a guy out in a canoe spin casting, and when he came in to the beach I went over and talked to him.
He was having a blast. Fish were everywhere. He brought to the boat and realeased Chinooks some over twenty pounds. He was filleting a coho when I saw him and it was mid teens.
I know San Jo is a ways away, but it might be indicative of other river mouths up in that area of the island.
His go to lure for casting was a pink rip tide sitting on top of a green/chartuese needlefish. He casted it out into a boiling bunch of fish, reeled like crazy for twenty feet and then let it drop, and bang. The hits were always on the drops, kinda like jig fishing,
Some friends of mine caught a bunch during a kayak trip there a few years ago. They let their flashers sink with no weight then trolled slowly around the bay.

Fished 2 days up here. The narrows above and below. Coho we’re not thick but you could catch them , couldn’t believe it’s only one fish a day here compared to other west coast areas , Heard of a couple springs but mostly coho , Seen massive crabs at dock in coal harbour. Like 10 “ ***. Low River levels had to be reason for slower fishing

Was able to squeeze in a quick rip from Vic to Quatsino. White meat focused. Weather worked out and was able to pop up north. Worth the run when you can bang out a couple limits of lings in 30min. Good quality fish, 10-20lbs. Perfect size. Could only scrape up a ping pong paddle before I got into the Yelloweye. Seaquilzer wasn't releasing so after a couple of yelloweyes, decided to move. Next spot didn't produce like it had in previous years. Did have a Mola (sun fish) come check me out which was cool to see. Those are not small creatures. Tried tolling around off Lawn but only banged out some rockfish and lings. Ran inside and trolled Rowly to Cliffe with zero sucess. Never fished it, but cool area.

First night I got woken up by the tuna crews heading out so I spent the following night inside with a SE wind coming and ran into Varney Bay but my plotter and depths I was getting, weren't lining up so I opted for another bay on the other side of the narrows. Drifted around in varney and watch the fish in the bay. Some chromers and old boots were all present. If those critters could tell stories of their trip back to their home waters. Zipped back outside and threw the pick out, cracked a cab sauv and enjoyed the peace. Next morning I had a couple hours to kill before pulling the boat so I ripped around for some coho. Went 0/2. First one had a big rudder and hit like a freight train. Love it. Pulled boat and at that point, the real work starts. 6hrs drive back home to put kids down, followed by cleaning & processing.

Lessons learned, pack less. Less is more. 2nd lesson learned, see lesson 1. For two years in a row, I bring the same big bin of jigs, weights, etc, and I always ended up just using the same jig for everything. Next year I'll learn. And to not pack so much damn food. It's not much of an enjoyable trip because it's go-go-go from door to door. Starting to get it figured out with sleeping, cooking, cleaning & storing fish on the boat. Happy it worked, and always love coming to Quatsino.

We got back last week from out last trip to Winter Harbour. It was an Ok trip wind was blowing for most of the week. We got out and fished for Bottom fish and black cod for most of the early week.

Here is a picture of the biggest Black cod
dc656f95-7404-4a03-8103-6c17faa475ce.jpg

We also got a new species this year. Its apparently a Shortspine Thornyhead. AKA Idiot Fish. I hooked it at 1400Ft

3ba114d8-5702-48f8-be8d-f215aef70ced.jpg

Also got this guy which I am Struggling to Identify. He was caught in about 1200ft of water, I am pretty sure its not a yellow eye based on the large bottom fin. He also had a scar on his belly. Most interesting thing was that it didn't have a swim bladder. we put in back in the water and it swam down with no issues. Anybody know what this might be?

71c4ea6d-8c06-4783-983e-ce7f3742e0b3.jpg

Finally we got out for tuna on Firday got into them about 30miles straight off Brooks peninsula.

aafce241-0c03-4d25-97f3-9732a16b62d1.jpg

Overall Winter Harbour treated us very well this year! Big thanks to the Care takers at the Outpost, you guy's do a great job all summer!

We got back last week from out last trip to Winter Harbour. It was an Ok trip wind was blowing for most of the week. We got out and fished for Bottom fish and black cod for most of the early week.

Here is a picture of the biggest Black cod
View attachment 70485

We also got a new species this year. Its apparently a Shortspine Thornyhead. AKA Idiot Fish. I hooked it at 1400Ft

View attachment 70486

Also got this guy which I am Struggling to Identify. He was caught in about 1200ft of water, I am pretty sure its not a yellow eye based on the large bottom fin. He also had a scar on his belly. Most interesting thing was that it didn't have a swim bladder. we put in back in the water and it swam down with no issues. Anybody know what this might be?

View attachment 70487

Finally we got out for tuna on Firday got into them about 30miles straight off Brooks peninsula.

View attachment 70488

Overall Winter Harbour treated us very well this year! Big thanks to the Care takers at the Outpost, you guy's do a great job all summer!
Cool to see new species!
How far offshore were you fishing for Black Cod? What kind of gear is used to fish that deep? I would love to try it, but the window may be closing for this season - the days when the ocean is flat enough out of WH are few by now it seems.

Back