Took the family out fishing today and was rewarded with a nice fat 44lbs hali = two other great hali hits but no stick !! another skate lol and about 8 doggies !! mud hole 330 deep fog no fog - fog no fog ****** dragging dogs up from that depth all day !! lots of boats = salmon head and belly !

I went out for a Canada Day fish in Oak Bay. It was a cooler cloudy morning and much nicer than the heat dome that took me off the water for that period of time. I had a fantastic day catching a beauty ling, a cabezon, some cod and a catch and gently released spring from 10 mile point.

Attachments

• Resized_20210701_151525.jpg
    Resized_20210701_151525.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 169
  • Resized_20210701_151334.jpg
    Resized_20210701_151334.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 165
Lost a red 12” poly form buoy that I used as a fender. It has the boats name and my phone number. Somewhere between Victoria Harbour and William Head.

2nd out of Cattle Pt. again today and I slept in? Todays plan was to see if there were any pinks or coho out there. Headed out beyond the flats and trolled. Lots of fish marking around a 100' so dropped one rig down. Got two small springs about 5lbs each within 30 mins. Kind of dud's as far as fight went, especially since there was no flasher attached. Floating debris made trolling prohibitive. The action was around 0700. Jigged, but no more salmon.
Only one legal dungy and a bunch of rock crabs.

Well,
All good things must come to an end.......my five trips in a row coming back with halibut that is!

left the dock around 6, took a friend out for some Hali & it turned out to be a female crab, skate, rat and many dogs show. Went went through 24 pieces of herring.

At one point we had two dogs on one line, with each dog taking one hook each. One time we reeled up the line, 285’ of water, only to find a female crab attached on the herring and he didn’t want to let go. We finally had a decent hit with some weight, buddy reeled it up only to find a skate at the end of the hook. Down to our last two pieces of bait, boom, we catch a rat

Off the water about 1:00

Last edited:
The currents were great. Little lumpy until the tide changed to a flood. I set up at 7am on the ebb and hooked up just after slack. Flattened right out after that.

Well,
All good things must come to an end.......my five trips in a row coming back with halibut that is!

left the dock around 6, took a friend out for some Hali & it turned out to be a female crab, skate, rat and many dogs show. Went went through 24 pieces of herring.

At one point we had two dogs on one line, with each dog taking one hook each. One time we reeled up the line, 285’ of water, only to find a female crab attached on the herring and he didn’t want to let go. We finally had a decent hit with some weight, buddy reeled it up only to find a skate at the end of the hook. Down to our last two pieces of bait, boom, we catch a rat

Off the water about 1:00
You were getting more butts than Ron Jeremy lol !!!!!! start another streak old boy !!!

It was sure snotty out there today. Shouldn’t have gone but got a nice chicken and fed the crabs. One trap had 30 with no keepers. Only 2 dungee keepers from 4 traps. Good to see lots of crabs, doing my part for conservation I guess.
Yeah, headed out towards Constance in the morning but it was too rough for anchoring. Headed into William Head and became a participant in a dogfish derby. No luck at the Mud Hole so far.

Launched at 7:45 and headed out to the mud hole (honey hole) of mine, trying for a halibut in between the tide changes.

Wind was blowing more than anticipated, so when my wife and I arrived at the destination, we made a decision, not to drop the anchor and head back in. Coming back in, the wind & waves were tolerable, so we set up East of Albert Head in 190’ of water. (since there probably would not have been enough water to get the boat out anyway) we tried our luck for a few hours.

To no avail, ended up with 12 dogs, and about a 25/30lb skate.

Any sign of coho or pinks ? Kingsize ( charter) adventures email today stated they were nearby.
I promise to report back if I find either.........

Just removed some posts regarding accusations made publicly here. If there are illegal activities happening, report it to the authorities. We are not having these public debates here as it ends up in a complete mess.

quick update on Oak Bay, was out on Tuesday and hooked/lost a nice spring on the flats. On the way in, my friend advised me that on Monday he caught and kept two pinks off the south end of Trial Island. He did not provide any more details. Same fellow caught and released two springs on the OB flats on Monday too.

Back