Was second out of Cattle Pt. today. After dropping the traps headed out towards the flats and started jigging. Lots of bait fish and birds. Released two clipped springs (8-10lbs) in pretty short order in less than 70' of water, then realized I was surrounded by tall black fins. Whales worked the flats in scattered groups for about an hour. It was amazing! Wasn't sure what I should do. get the heck out of there or enjoy the show. I chose the latter though I felt very small in my 12 footer. They always stayed at least 50 m's away. They headed East toward Discovery Isl. I trolled around a while after that. A couple of pin poppers, but nothing else.
Crabbing good with surplus keepers.
We were about 5th out of Cattle point this morning at 7am. We also saw those Orcas. No l8bgs today but did play a nice spring hooked in 40 feet of water off the pitchers mound north of bird **** islands...beauty day. 2 nice keeper crabs to go with steak this eve.

Got the boat back in the water after some spring maintenance. dropped the crab traps and had a great run out with grandma and grandson. Father’s Day was spent reeling like I never have, no downriggers on the boar and current was stronger than I thought. Tons of whales, no orcas, so nice for the family to see. 7 dogs, no strikes. 5 keeper crabs. Heading up the gorge was hilarious have never seen so many swimmers, paddle boarders and kayakers, canoers. Had to slow to a crawl as the deepest water was full of swimmers. Nice to see it being used, tons of smiles.

I was also out near Discovery jigging near Tin Boat Rob. He alerted us to the Orcas that were sounding behind us. It made for a peaceful time jigging for cod with the engine off and watching the whales feeding. The current was slack so catching our limit in cod was quite easy. I couldn't manage a legal sized ling today. 24.5 inches was the closest that I came. I was able to get a keeper yesterday though. As the tide started to pick up later that morning, we moved to North Discovery where I hooked a beauty spring as well. It put up a great fight with lots of runs. I took a quite pick and gently released it back to swim another day. Of course it was a hatchery fish!

Attachments

• IMG_07571.jpg
    IMG_07571.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 133
Forgot to add before my monitor died. I did head out specifically to target pinks for an hour. Not a sniff, sighting or mark yet. Heard of a few further West.

If only they'd reduce the size limit on Lings 2". It sure we be a lot easier on other rockfish, never mind my wallet. Seems to be no shortage of decent sized quill backs, china's or whatever they are of OB.

Well, out again today.

Left the dock after five, and headed out Sooke way to do a little salmon fishing before the tide change.

No love for salmon!

I went back to my old stomping grounds of yesterday, the mud flats, hooked up the anchor and started fishing. I ended up catching another small one which was returned to the deep. Where I was located, the tide picked up, and the bait wasn’t staying on the bottom so I packed it In. When I finished packing up, the current was 1.8 knots

Went to check on my crab trap, and it has disappeared in front of Sax Point!

Attachments

• 0F9F1E37-333E-4EF4-8C1D-FA08A0DEBF2B.jpeg
    0F9F1E37-333E-4EF4-8C1D-FA08A0DEBF2B.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 139
Anchored off Albert Head for the first time yesterday for halibut in about 280 feet of water. Lots of boats out there but no luck for us. Guess part of the fun is prospecting new areas. Catching the odd fish would be cool though also

I don’t go halibut fishing often, but when I do, I make sure I limit out! (Insert Dos equis commercial here)

What an unbelievable day out on the water, hard to believe that I launched late, like 9 am, and I was only about the 8th trailer in the lot.

headed out to the mud bank for some halibut fishing, and i was treated with a humpback whale show. Three different groups, one group that was breaching, and one group that was about 40’ from the boat.

now onto fishing, grabbed myself two halibut before 11 am, even before that tide had changed. Only 1 dog, and that was on the rod that was still in the water, while I reeled the second halibut up.

Attachments

• 7F0E6682-38A2-49BC-B404-02350DC2DFBC.jpeg
    7F0E6682-38A2-49BC-B404-02350DC2DFBC.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 130
I don’t go halibut fishing often, but when I do, I make sure I limit out! (Insert Dos equis commercial here)

What an unbelievable day out on the water, hard to believe that I launched late, like 9 am, and I was only about the 8th trailer in the lot.

headed out to the mud bank for some halibut fishing, and i was treated with a humpback whale show. Three different groups, one group that was breaching, and one group that was about 40’ from the boat.

now onto fishing, grabbed myself two halibut before 11 am, even before that tide had changed. Only 1 dog, and that was on the rod that was still in the water, while I reeled the second halibut up.
Good to see a Hewescraft and that you had limited out at the dock today! We scrounged up 4 dungenous and 6 red rock. One trap moved almost a km caught in kelp. So much cooler on the water, I’ll be washing down the boat at 10pm tonight!

How were currents this morning?

Can videos be uploaded? The only option I’m getting are pictures when I go to my photos

Well, out at it again today I think my buddies are pissed that I’m always catching fish so I had to take them out today.

We ended up getting two more today, 1 over 90, 1 under. We had another one on but it didn’t stick, and then two of the three reels that I had on board ended up malfunctioning so we were down to one rod before it went on the fritz, and wrapped the line all around itself on the spool.

A total of 4 dogs today

I guess I better get it fixed before July 1, and some great how the tides are on the way.

Another unbelievable day today, Humpback whales literally within 30 feet of the boat, beautiful, calm, and not 40° like it is, in-land.

Attachments

• 191173C9-BA45-45C0-B89C-AED519A7DF57.jpeg
    191173C9-BA45-45C0-B89C-AED519A7DF57.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Well, looks like I’m hogging the thread.

So here goes another one.

Headed out, just after 6, wind picked about the same time, so there was a little chop on the way out to the Mud Hole. Set up anchor and get down to business. Started out with a couple of dogs before I got into my first halibut. Since my dance card is getting full, I need to get a little more picky. Released about an 80-85 cm. About an hour later, hooked into another one, but this one had some weight, sure enough, it did have some weight, border line 133, so I went to get my 133 string. The line was tight, came back to lean over and measure, fish spits the hook, and swims down the to deep. After a few more dogs, and now I’m down to my last two pieces of herring bait, ( went through 16 pieces) the rod goes off, there is a bit of weight. Get the fish up to the boat, harpoon in hand, after it’s all said and done, 100 cm.
called it a day, back to the ramp at about 11:30.

Some great Hali stories there Sam7. Gives me some much needed inspiration. I haven't invested in a good anchor system and bottom bouncing has not been productive for me. A question out to the gang.... If I was targeting coho and launching out of Esquimalt, would deeper water of the flats, by the yellow can, out from Albert Head or off Constance be my best bet? I'm only in a 16.5 double eagle. I assume deeper water and 60-80 on the riggers with typical gear.

I have 7-8 years under the belt out there but have never tried early for a Ho. :) Any advice would be appreciated. Might be taking my grown-up son out and it would be good to see a little action. I'm always concerned about catch and release with Chinook. I am only using single barbless but...

Tight lines and calm seas.

Well, looks like I’m hogging the thread.

So here goes another one.

Headed out, just after 6, wind picked about the same time, so there was a little chop on the way out to the Mud Hole. Set up anchor and get down to business. Started out with a couple of dogs before I got into my first halibut. Since my dance card is getting full, I need to get a little more picky. Released about an 80-85 cm. About an hour later, hooked into another one, but this one had some weight, sure enough, it did have some weight, border line 133, so I went to get my 133 string. The line was tight, came back to lean over and measure, fish spits the hook, and swims down the to deep. After a few more dogs, and now I’m down to my last two pieces of herring bait, ( went through 16 pieces) the rod goes off, there is a bit of weight. Get the fish up to the boat, harpoon in hand, after it’s all said and done, 100 cm.
called it a day, back to the ramp at about 11:30.
Wow you are nailing them. Not looking for a secret spot but how deep are you fishing? I tried a week ago at about 270’ but only got one dog.

Wow you are nailing them. Not looking for a secret spot but how deep are you fishing? I tried a week ago at about 270’ but only got one dog.

I’m at 280’, I’m just one of the many boats out in the mud flats

I spent the morning directly off William head in 300’ anchored for Hali with the other 50+ boats. No love but a few dogfish. Fog came in around 9am along the whales and a bunch of whale watching boats.

Was one of the boats off William HD. today fished the 300’ contour. No luck, just a couple of dogs. Was weird between the winds and fog.

Back