New to fishing Victoria waterfront ( fished Sidney mostly) and had looked at heading out for Halibut today but decided not to based on predicted winds. Any of you experienced guys have advice on wind speeds or directions that you look for when planning an outing for a 20‘ . I Looked at the Dallas Road web cam and it looked better than I thought it would and I figured maybe I was too cautious.

Thanks Scott.
And has a lot to do with current and wind direction. If they are going the same way I am good to about 15K. if they are going opposite directions expect it to kick up nasty well before 15K. These are things to consider when you go hali fishing. You can predict what the water is going to do and react in advance so you can get home safe. Check the predicted wind direction throughout your trip and the current direction. Do the math.

Hearing from a few places about some fish being caught makes me wish I could get out there, but I think those that have been out last couple days have been earning it in terms of the weather. From a look at BWD it can't have been a mill pond out there today or yesterday.

True about tide direction + wind direction. Nothing like a good west wind against a steady ebb which seems to have an uncanny ability to hold you on anchor right broadside to the trough. Anything under 15 is usually pretty civilized, 15-20 starts to be uncivilized, 20-25 I'll do for a while but I'll sort of hate it.

New to fishing Victoria waterfront ( fished Sidney mostly) and had looked at heading out for Halibut today but decided not to based on predicted winds. Any of you experienced guys have advice on wind speeds or directions that you look for when planning an outing for a 20‘ . I Looked at the Dallas Road web cam and it looked better than I thought it would and I figured maybe I was too cautious.
Ideally you want to look for current window that is running under 1kt, and wind going the same direction less than 10km/hr , anything outside of those parameters and the beer gets spilled ,pissed off, dragging up,going home...lots to watch out for when you are new to being “ on the hook”as the wind current can send **** sideways quickly

Hearing from a few places about some fish being caught makes me wish I could get out there, but I think those that have been out last couple days have been earning it in terms of the weather. From a look at BWD it can't have been a mill pond out there today or yesterday.

True about tide direction + wind direction. Nothing like a good west wind against a steady ebb which seems to have an uncanny ability to hold you on anchor right broadside to the trough. Anything under 15 is usually pretty civilized, 15-20 starts to be uncivilized, 20-25 I'll do for a while but I'll sort of hate it.
Yeah but you get great jigging action on your gear

Last edited:
I imagine not a lot of Hali fishing over the weekend given the winds. I made it out yesterday with some nice current and spent 3 hours in the mud hole while the crab traps soaked.
Still no hali love and 5 keeper crabs saved the day!

Being an odd year...(I mean numerically) when can we expect the first pink runs to be here? I just ran out of fish in the freezer......Help.

Halibut fishing continues to be legendary for us this year. Landed 6 of 7 on Thurs. Medium herring on the grub or skirt. Didnt seem to matter. Only one Dog fish. 2 fish over 90 and 4 fish under. Mud Flats

On Tues we trolled up a hali while trying Salmon fishing on the OB flats. No salmon caught.

Catch them up

JL

Check out the phone app wind alert for wind values. You get real time wind speeds and more accurate predictions from more places. It’s free

Tomorrow looks good. I'm thinking the launch is going to be a little crowded with fathers day and all.

Happy Fathers Day,

I had to wait until my engine was tuned up, (2 months later, injector issue) finally out on the water today. What a beauty day.

set the crab trap, and then headed out to test the engine. Giddy up........

Started halibut fishing shortly there after. I set up on the mud hole. Since I was by myself, I ended up with two under 90, first one at 9:00, second at 10:02. I had one other hit, which looked like it was a dog hit, and stole my bait, (herring)

headed in, checked the crab trap, 7 crab, all undersized.

Attachments

• B122F8E1-422F-41B6-85DA-BD0E325831E4.jpeg
    B122F8E1-422F-41B6-85DA-BD0E325831E4.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 21F38AC9-8C90-4CE2-AEAA-8A566BE14610.jpeg
    21F38AC9-8C90-4CE2-AEAA-8A566BE14610.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 117
  • BF8B8298-08FA-46D9-8E1D-DF85EBFEABB2.jpeg
    BF8B8298-08FA-46D9-8E1D-DF85EBFEABB2.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 133
Was second out of Cattle Pt. today. After dropping the traps headed out towards the flats and started jigging. Lots of bait fish and birds. Released two clipped springs (8-10lbs) in pretty short order in less than 70' of water, then realized I was surrounded by tall black fins. Whales worked the flats in scattered groups for about an hour. It was amazing! Wasn't sure what I should do. get the heck out of there or enjoy the show. I chose the latter though I felt very small in my 12 footer. They always stayed at least 50 m's away. They headed East toward Discovery Isl. I trolled around a while after that. A couple of pin poppers, but nothing else.
Crabbing good with surplus keepers.

Back