Well what a season! Best fishing I have experienced in this area in 25 years. It was amazing. Spring fishing was awesome. Coho Fishing was epic. Someone on here said World Class Coho fishing. They are absolutely correct. I know many might not agree, but you have to admit with all the DFO regulations they have implemented over the past 12 years is this having an impact! Along with all the awesome hatchery efforts particularly Neah Bay and the Sooke Net pen project. I do believe everything and everyone is working together to bring back this awesome fishery. Which not to long ago was doom and gloom. We still have lots of work to do on the environment side to get the ocean as clean as possible but at least they have started this venture. I do believe restricting the commercial fishing is huge, Net pen projects are huge, getting rid of Ocean run farming huge, and reducing the number of fish caught recreationally is huge. Work still needs to be done of FN fisheries in the rivers and all rivers as a matter of fact to protect all species trying to spawn. The fact that Cowichan River has made a come back this year with about 11,000 chinook returning is amazing. So whatever we are doing is 100% working. Obviously even more can be done at a political level for sure. DFO definitely needs a shake up and wake up and have someone that truly understands this fishery and what it means to BC and the rest of the world. DFO should definitely think about Fisherman / Fisherwoman who make a living at sea as Guides. They need some type of regulations for guides to catch at least hatchery raised clipped fish. Its hard to make a living when you can't catch and keep a fish when paying $1,000 for a guide trip. Particularly for locals who want to go out and get some fish. Its hard to run a fishing business when fish can't be kept for certain parts of the season. There is still lots of improvements to be had, but I feel we are moving in the right direction but slowly.

Reports: Saturday another incredible day fishing coho. 25 to the boat, biggest was 12, boated 10lber and 3 hatchery fish all cookie cutter 6-8lbs. Many more single hits then the crazy time on friday but there was a couple of doubles.

Sunday wowzers was it rough out there, plus the huge swells were back. Geez, I braved the conditions as it was the last day of fishing and I did not want it to end. There was a crazy snap early morning 7am -8:30am, had about 12 Wild coho, many doubles, but lost them all at boat or beside boat as it was so rough, up and down like a yo-yo. but some how that was still fun. It eventually calmed down about 10am - 2pm before packing it up. Had another 12 Wild coho during that time. Kept 12 lb Wild Coho to end the season.

PS: Caught my 2nd biggest fish, biggest in Sooke 35 lbs (released), Caught 2nd largest ling cod, biggest in Sooke 25lbs (released) , Caught 2nd biggest coho Sooke 15 lbs (released), all this year.

Looking forward to next season already. Its going to be a long winter! Good luck to all those winter fisherman.

Cheers,

Cby.

Last edited:
Well what a season! Best fishing I have experienced in this area in 25 years. It was amazing. Spring fishing was awesome. Coho Fishing was epic. Someone on here said World Class Coho fishing. They are absolutely correct. I know many might not agree, but you have to admit with all the DFO regulations they have implemented over the past 12 years is this having an impact! Along with all the awesome hatchery efforts particularly Neah Bay and the Sooke Net pen project. I do believe everything and everyone is working together to bring back this awesome fishery. Which not to long ago was doom and gloom. We still have lots of work to do on the environment side to get the ocean as clean as possible but at least they have started this venture. I do believe restricting the commercial fishing is huge, Net pen projects are huge, getting rid of Ocean run farming huge, and reducing the number of fish caught recreationally is huge. Work still needs to be done of FN fisheries in the rivers and all rivers as a matter of fact to protect all species trying to spawn. The fact that Cowichan River has made a come back this year with about 11,000 chinook returning is amazing. So whatever we are doing is 100% working. Obviously even more can be done at a political level for sure. DFO definitely needs a shake up and wake up and have someone that truly understands this fishery and what it means to BC and the rest of the world. DFO should definitely think about Fisherman / Fisherwoman who make a living at sea as Guides. They need some type of regulations for guides to catch at least hatchery raised clipped fish. Its hard to make a living when you can't catch and keep a fish when paying $1,000 for a guide trip. Particularly for locals who want to go out and get some fish. Its hard to run a fishing business when fish can't be kept for certain parts of the season. There is still lots of improvements to be had, but I feel we are moving in the right direction but slowly.

Reports: Saturday another incredible day fishing coho. 25 to the boat, biggest was 12, boated 10lber and 3 hatchery fish all cookie cutter 6-8lbs. Many more single hits then the crazy time on friday but there was a couple of doubles.

Sunday wowzers was it rough out there, plus the huge swells were back. Geez, I braved the conditions as it was the last day of fishing and I did not want it to end. There was a crazy snap early morning 7am -8:30am, had about 12 Wild coho, many doubles, but lost them all at boat or beside boat as it was so rough, up and down like a yo-yo. but some how that was still fun. It eventually calmed down about 10am - 2pm before packing it up. Had another 12 Wild coho during that time. Kept 12 lb Wild Coho to end the season.

PS: Caught my 2nd biggest fish, biggest in Sooke 35 lbs (released), Caught 2nd largest ling cod, biggest in Sooke 25lbs (released) , Caught 2nd biggest coho Sooke 15 lbs (released), all this year.

Looking forward to next season already. Its going to be a long winter! Good luck to all those winter fisherman.

Cheers,

Cby.
Love your enthusiasm and optimism but unfortunately can't share it all. I know too much!
But one note before you spin this thought too far: it you really think that the restrictions of the recreational fishery by DFO have had any measurable impact on fish stocks and fishing results overall then you need to study and read much more.... There are much bigger factors at play. Cheers!

Out today off Beecher Bay 10:00 until 4:00. First two hours were dead. Couldn't figure it out. Thought I was going to have to take a dump or something spur some action (works for deer). Finally got into fish as I headed back in. Still, it wasn't crazy like previous outings. Only landed six, all with the darn fin attached and lost two. The one I kept had a couple of 6" herring in it. Think those clipped fish are a myth.

Dummy flasher rig got all but one.

Love your enthusiasm and optimism but unfortunately can't share it all. I know too much!
But one note before you spin this thought too far: it you really think that the restrictions of the recreational fishery by DFO have had any measurable impact on fish stocks and fishing results overall then you need to study and read much more.... There are much bigger factors at play. Cheers!

your usually the positive one!!

There is a section in the hootchies and bucktails book that discusses a study that showed coho will bite hootchies tipped with bait more than plain rubber as the fall progresses.

Out today off Beecher Bay 10:00 until 4:00. First two hours were dead. Couldn't figure it out. Thought I was going to have to take a dump or something spur some action (works for deer). Finally got into fish as I headed back in. Still, it wasn't crazy like previous outings. Only landed six, all with the darn fin attached and lost two. The one I kept had a couple of 6" herring in it. Think those clipped fish are a myth.

Dummy flasher rig got all but one.
Out yesterday as well from 10:30 to 2 pm. out from the head at 450 to 550 feet of water. It was not on fire but there were fish biting the whole time. We caught 7 hatchery and 1 wild (only released a few wilds). We had lots of slams and gone plus some briefly on and gone (10 or more total). All fish on rubber 80 to 107 deep.

...Rob

Out yesterday as well from 10:30 to 2 pm. out from the head at 450 to 550 feet of water. It was not on fire but there were fish biting the whole time. We caught 7 hatchery and 1 wild (only released a few wilds). We had lots of slams and gone plus some briefly on and gone (10 or more total). All fish on rubber 80 to 107 deep.

...Rob
I was in the aluminum skiff. Perhaps I wasn't fishing deep enough. Saw fish on the surface and figured they were running shallow. Max I went down was 85'. You must of dodged that squall.

There is a section in the hootchies and bucktails book that discusses a study that showed coho will bite hootchies tipped with bait more than plain rubber as the fall progresses.
The most important things arei shorter leaders, glow or UV with some green colour, TROLL FAST, find the depth, zig zag in and out where they are and have it all together when they are biting.

have it all together when they are biting.
Can't stress this point enough - Always keep a teaser head baited up and ready to go (if you're using bait, that is) so you can swap out quickly and get the gear back in the water asap. My favourite moments of coho-ing have been me squatting in the back corner baiting, rebaiting, shoving fish into the box and attaching new leaders to my co-fisher-people. Same approach with spoons/hoochies, get a spare or two ready in the wings for a quick swap out if damaged/stuck.

Photos are allowed when the bite is "off".

Headed out for a quick fish, 9-11.
Got on Unclipped within half an hour, then half an hour later, double header both Unclipped, kept the bigger one! Then stayed out for for another hour, double header both clipped, one was the same size as the Unclipped. A humpback was around too! Came in as the wind picked up.
Salmon for Thanksgiving!!

Attachments

• 20211008_121035.jpg
    20211008_121035.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 126
7:30-10:30 this morning off Secretary solo. Coho fishing solo is nuts. Lol.
First hour was on fire. Then slows down.
most hits were doubles. Caught 15 or so. Lost a bunch. Kept my 4. Nice weather. Good fun.

Has anyone noticed that the coho don’t show up on sounders? We have gone over many schools of coho (we were getting double headers on the rods) and there was no indication on the screen of any fish at the depth we were fishing. At the same time, we have seen fish and schools of bait on the screen at 400 feet.

Has anyone noticed that the coho don’t show up on sounders? We have gone over many schools of coho (we were getting double headers on the rods) and there was no indication on the screen of any fish at the depth we were fishing. At the same time, we have seen fish and schools of bait on the screen at 400 feet.
Yes. I assumed it was an improper transducer set-up on the new boat.

Watching a bunch of underwater footage, I'm surmising that they charge the bait from "off screen".

Great day on the water this morning even with the strong ebb. Kept 4 hatchery and 2 wild. Released 10 other wilds, and lost some nice fish. Hoochies worked best for us down deep today, 105-130ft.
Humpbacks were in off of the Trap this morning.
Nice day to wrap up my coho season.

Attachments

• IMG_20211008_141155_288.jpg
    IMG_20211008_141155_288.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 90
It's a wrap. Last day for coho for me. Started early and lost my first dozen bites, doubles headers and I was clearly too slow getting to the rods. Thats the way it goes with solo fishing. Got my butt in gear and released 18 unclipped to get my limit today, every one swimming away with attitude for another day. 10.5 pound wild to close it out with 3 x 4-7lb clipped. 50-90 feet again, spoon on one side and hootchie on the other, 400-550 feet, heard some folks having a slow day but was bonkers for me. Went to wrap it up trying for a Hali on a bad day for it and got one to the boat only to lose it. Sooke is absolutely world class fishing. Thanks to everyone who shares on here, your tips have helped my first year of fall fishing in Sooke be my best year ever.

Was pretty good today. Started at 1030 till 4. Got even better late afternoon. Right off of Secretary went mental once the waves lied down at tide change. Double headers.

Fish were everywhere from bluffs to secretary out from 500ft. Deeper from 120 to 145ft.

We took home 2 hatchery and 2 wild....

Attachments

• 20211008_173323.jpg
    20211008_173323.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Slow today off Beechy for myself and any of the other boats I saw. One clipped fish, a 10# wild and a few small springs. Always nice to see some whales.

Late start this morning got out about 930 out of the prestige, made my way over to the head with everyone else definitely slowed down wasn’t much going on made my way back to towards secretary, girlfriend and I ended up with 2 clipped and 2 wild biggest around 9lbs overall not a bad day. Lost a beauty wild around 12-14lbs right beside the boat as well..

Slow day on Saturday had 2 young first time fishers out and got them a wild each and let them lose 5 more fun day for late season but may be a few days left for coho yet.

Back