Well looks like is my first summer I didn't fish there at all. The chinook better not be gone. I may try this weekend. Some of my biggest fish were always 1st and 2nd week Sept. Kind of hit and miss though if we get some rain.]

I wouldn't give up Roland never know...

Last edited:
Took a friend out who was visiting from Kelowna. A little late getting on the water this morning at Pedder. Fished from 8am to 2pm. Had one hit at noon and landed a 10lber. That was the one and only hit. Purple haze flasher with a cop car spoon. 70ft on DR on 150ft of water. It was his first spring so he was more than happy with just one.

On the water at about sunrise, working the shore at Gordons beach. Bit of a bite at early slack current, but slow after that. Saw fish caught here n there thru the morning. Finally after several hours of slow paddling I got a non sticker at second rock, so I focused in on just working the areas second to third rock. Finally got a good sticker hit and boated a nice mid teens fish. 28 pulls, green on green, anchovy. I figure between 30 and 40 feet. Well, not quite the big late season Harrison spring I was looking for, but I was stoked to get one today (any day). 40-50 boats on the water. What great weather today, even with the light east wind.

On the water at about sunrise, working the shore at Gordons beach. Bit of a bite at early slack current, but slow after that. Saw fish caught here n there thru the morning. Finally after several hours of slow paddling I got a non sticker at second rock, so I focused in on just working the areas second to third rock. Finally got a good sticker hit and boated a nice mid teens fish. 28 pulls, green on green, anchovy. I figure between 30 and 40 feet. Well, not quite the big late season Harrison spring I was looking for, but I was stoked to get one today (any day). 40-50 boats on the water. What great weather today, even with the light east wind.
Well done Z! I’m going to try the same thing this AM.

Where is the best place to launch kayaks near Gordon’s beach?
Thanks
Stosh
There are a couple of public accesses along the beach, watch out for swell! Can't launch at Muir creek right now, construction. I use the access next brown house.

Three nice springs on Thursday, all on bait and also the first chum of the year...about 12 pounds. Made a colour switch today for the 1st time this season to try and wake a couple rods up and it seemed to work. Went away from green and switched all rods to purple as the one purple I always run had been pulling all the weight recently. Beauty couple of days on the water.
Today we landed 2 springs and lost 3 in a row. Another even bigger chum today and a nice 8-9 pound hatch coho...released one wild that was a solid 10 pounds. Got my tickets for the derby tomorrow to support the Sooke net pen which contributed to one of the best August's for Chinook. I hope many of you are in the derby or at least bought a ticket for the cash draw prize.

Three nice springs on Thursday, all on bait and also the first chum of the year...about 12 pounds. Made a colour switch today for the 1st time this season to try and wake a couple rods up and it seemed to work. Went away from green and switched all rods to purple as the one purple I always run had been pulling all the weight recently. Beauty couple of days on the water.
Today we landed 2 springs and lost 3 in a row. Another even bigger chum today and a nice 8-9 pound hatch coho...released one wild that was a solid 10 pounds. Got my tickets for the derby tomorrow to support the Sooke net pen which contributed to one of the best August's for Chinook. I hope many of you are in the derby or at least bought a ticket for the cash draw prize.
That's funny I was thinking it might be time to break out the purple haze. Good luck tomorrow tight lines.

Thanks for the update Profisher. We have tickets. Good luck to all in the derby! Should be fun!!

Got out right after work for a few hours. Definitely the nicest even of the year so far, not a ripple on the water. Couple misses then one about 15 right as we were about to pull gear as the sun went down. I thought it looked a little skinny and the guy beside me at the dock said the same about the 2 he had. Different run of fish than I was seeing in August for sure. Good luck to everyone this weekend!

A bit of a late report. Got an invite to go fishing with my buddy, Yellow Rod, for an afternoon/evening fish on Weds. By the reports of others on the day, fishing was extremely slow. As advertised, it was quite slow for us too. We did have a nice spring on at Possession that raced towards the boat and did a lot of head shaking. It measured out at 83cm and 19lbs. We got it on anchovy at 60ft. The rest of the evening was calm but only produced small springs that we released.

Attachments

• Resized_20210903_210644.jpg
    Resized_20210903_210644.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 106
Hit the water before daylight as my client was early...arrived at Otter right at 6am and 3 boats already there...a guy has to fall out of bed at 3am to be the first boat I think. Nothing much happened until just before noon then a few springs and a good number of coho started to bite. Our first fish ended up going 25.02, deep thick fish and short. Right away I said this is a Harrison white. Took it to Cheanuh for the derby and my client won the cash for the largest Chinook. When I cleaned and filleted it for him is was a white male. Only 111 tickets sold for the derby that supports the net pen...on a weekend with lots of boats on the water?????? The coalition earned $2220..00 for the net pen

Hit the water before daylight as my client was early...arrived at Otter right at 6am and 3 boats already there...a guy has to fall out of bed at 3am to be the first boat I think. Nothing much happened until just before noon then a few springs and a good number of coho started to bite. Our first fish ended up going 25.02, deep thick fish and short. Right away I said this is a Harrison white. Took it to Cheanuh for the derby and my client won the cash for the largest Chinook. When I cleaned and filleted it for him is was a white male. Only 111 tickets sold for the derby that supports the net pen...on a weekend with lots of boats on the water?????? The coalition earned $2220..00 for the net pen
Awesome! Congrats!

Wow, a lot of patience shown by you and your client Profisher. 6am start and then wait till noon for the bite. And there was me thinking you Pros knew exactly where to be and when at any time of the season or day!! LOL :) ;) Well done anyway. I am afraid I do not have that kind of patience and would have given up long before 6 hours had elapsed........

Spring fishing has been so good we haven’t really tried. Had a friend troll back from otter last week out deep and he was hitting then but all wild.

Back