Short morning as my guests had a flight back to Edmonton to catch and they didn't want the fuss of taking fish with them so C&R today. Released 4 springs and dropped 1. Also released a nice wild coho and a few pinks. Started on bait but switched to all Skinny G's as the fish were inhaling bait deep and didn't want to kill fish we weren't keeping. Bait seemed more consistent but the spoons still produced. Shallow today and better on the east side of the point for us and way less boats. Only left there briefly to give the big weed line on the ebb enough time to clear out.

Out yesterday, 10-2 again. Stayed around Possession/Secretary. Fairly slow for us. Couple hits and misses, couple small springs, a few pinks and finally and nice keeper spring 13 lbs. Pesca spoon was the hot lure for us.C52648A4-BFCC-4963-94BF-6246E41A2C88.jpeg

Fished Possession from 730 on this morning. First bite at 1030 and last bite at 130
4 springs all on the same rod at the same depth. 75 ft on Anchovies

What a beauty fresh fish. That will taste amazing
Hey guys I need help--cant find the specific regs for keeping salmon in Area 20-5 Race Rocks to Sooke entance. I am trying to figure out how many Chinook, Coho, Pink salmon we are allowed to retain. Is it 2 Chinooks (fin clipped or not) and/or 2 Coho (no fin clipped allowed) and or 2 Pinks but only 3 or 4 salmon in combination? Any help would be appreciated!

Hey guys I need help--cant find the specific regs for keeping salmon in Area 20-5 Race Rocks to Sooke entance. I am trying to figure out how many Chinook, Coho, Pink salmon we are allowed to retain. Is it 2 Chinooks (fin clipped or not) and/or 2 Coho (no fin clipped allowed) and or 2 Pinks but only 3 or 4 salmon in combination? Any help would be appreciated!
1 Chinook (wild or hatch) 45cm to 80cm in size, 2 hatchery coho, and up to 4 pink, and 4 salmon max total per day. No wild coho, no sockeye.

1 Chinook (wild or hatch) 45cm to 80cm in size, 2 hatchery coho, and up to 4 pink, and 4 salmon max total per day. No wild coho, no sockeye.
Thank you Gambler, I don’t want to gamble with getting my boat seized for being stupid—appreciate your help! Now I gotta get some better hooks for the Skinny G’s!

Fished with the boys in the fog 7-10, parking lot and not much action to be seen. Tried various depths, speeds and lures. Sadly, I think the salmon had anchovy in mind but we had none :(
One strike, a pin popper just as we had pulled the other two lines. The sea, tempting us to slug it out for more torture in search of the fickle treasure.
Xena
P.S. it was great to wave and say hello to you today, Englishman and your lovely wife!

Fished with the boys in the fog 7-10, parking lot and not much action to be seen. Tried various depths, speeds and lures. Sadly, I think the salmon had anchovy in mind but we had none :(
One strike, a pin popper just as we had pulled the other two lines. The sea, tempting us to slug it out for more torture in search of the fickle treasure.
Xena
P.S. it was great to wave and say hello to you today, Englishman and your lovely wife!
Thanks Xena. Good to see you guys out there as well.

Things were the same for us. I think the halcyon days of two quick fish are over for us this season! :(
We did three or four passes of Possession in the fog, with our standard little herring/teaser head combos which have done so well earlier, when the fish were around, but no hits except for one small pink.
Tried further out in 120' of water, fishing deeper, off the harbour mouth and off the Bluffs, but not a touch there so called it at 11:00am.
One more shot in early September I think then we sit on the beach till the October Coho run.

They are still around guys but defiantly slowed a bit doesnt help these huge ebbs this week coming up will defiantly give us the tale , with big am floods . we managed 2 for 5 today and a few pinks and a nice fat hatch coho, One thing i will say is the fish are getting picky pre spawn mode and make sure you have VERY sharp hooks todays fish were only on the trailer hook , they are just tapping it not hammering hard and inhaling it. try shortening the leaders on one side as you want to try and aggravate them into biting.
Ive had some of my BEST chinook fishing in sept , and some of my biggest we havent had any rain so those fish are still coming in and staging.

Good luck wolf

We went up to Otter 1st thing and then moved to Muir before the tide change. It was definitely slower than the last couple weeks. We got a 75cm spring, a couple small feeder springs and 3 Pinks, released a nice Sockeye and some wild coho. Flat calm and thick fog. One more weekend of getting up early and then I'm done.

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_153427_137.jpg
    IMG_20210828_153427_137.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 36
Still fish around but they are getting fussier now...bait is outshining the sppons by a big margin now. Hit 13 Friday, kept our 4 released 4 and lost 5...deeper all day. Today we hit 7 and landed 3...lost both on a double. Shallow this morning then deeper as the day went on. As Wolf said most are not hitting hard and none really fought well today...no big runs, just head shakes and little darts when they got closer to the boat.

Fished in and out of the fog this morning. 6-10:00 Kept 2 13-14 lb. springs and a tyee pink. Lost 1 other spring and released some shakers and small pinks.
The sprigs were bright silver and gave great fight. The pink had a very full stomach of large krill.

how big is a tyee pink? 10?
Fished in and out of the fog this morning. 6-10:00 Kept 2 13-14 lb. springs and a tyee pink. Lost 1 other spring and released some shakers and small pinks.
The sprigs were bright silver and gave great fight. The pink had a very full stomach of large krill.

Found a decent morning bite at Muir before the slack. A few wild cohos and a couple teener springs; both lazy as profisher said. Weirdly, around slack it went dead for us. Found one more pink on the way home. Also stuffed with krill.

1 for 3 this morning at Muir ...had the 2nd one within inches of being in the net...just out of reach even though I was leaning out as far as I dare to get him. Released 3 sox and a wild Coho...kept 4 pinks. 50-60 ft and all 3 springs went for the Skinny G and the bait was shut out of springs today. Finally had a bit of time Friday to slip down to Esquimalt Anglers to chat with the guys and drop off my 15 Chinook heads. Pretty confident a few are net pen fish.

Fished Otter from 6:30-3:30 yesterday. Lots of action, went through 24 pieces of bait! Like Profisher said earlier, lots of light bites and thrown hooks that didn't stick. Spoons were useless for us, only had bites on bait, when we ran out used Skinny G and other spoons but no luck until a buddy gave us some bait and then fish started hitting again. The bite was spread out and lasted most the day for us.

Fishing from 60-80 ft. in 60-120 ft. of water. Ended up with two 75-80 cm springs and a big hatchery Coho. Had a huge take that almost buried my rod tip in the water, but instantly gone. How they escape 2 hooks on an anchovy is still a mystery to me? Overall great day on the water.

Fished the Dead Sea this morning 8-12 from the Head to the Shack. In 4 hours we had one small wild coho (released belly up) and that was it. I saw 3 fish netted the entire morning. Nothing big.

September has always been spotty for chinook for us. On September 2nd 2019 we had two very nice fish. Same day in 2020 we got zero. So today we set out to Muir hoping the fish could not count and would think it was still August and there might be fish around. LOL :D;)

I suppose it ended up as a sort of compromise between those two years. Lines in the water around 7:45am and shortly thereafter we had a small hit which turned out to be a fat 6lb hatchery fish. Nothing much for a couple hours after that. We were troubled much of the day with tiny little “shaker” fish about one and half the length of my hand. :confused:How they made it onto the treble I do not know!

There were about 10 boats at Muir and we only saw one decent fish caught. At 10:15am I had just dropped the herring to 66’ on one side and was setting the rod, when the clip popped with my hand still on the reel. This turned out to be a slightly bigger, but quite feisty 7lb unclipped chinook. Must have followed the bait down and hit it as soon as it stopped.

That was it for the day. Slight chop came up with the SE wind after 11am, but bright warm and sunny and best of all zero fog!

We will leave the water to the Labour Day week-end armada now and wait for the coho. Good luck guys!

Back