Quick limits on springs again this morning with 45 and 55ft producing fish. All on Skinny G's again today as there are so many small feeder springs around I could easily go through 5 trays of bait if I ran it on all 3 rods ...and have the gear in my boat more than in the water. So long as the spoons keep pulling fish at a rate I feel is keeping up with what I see going on around me...the bait will stay in the freezer for another day. We got our limit on pinks as well but not right away...we got into sockeye first..7 of them. One pushing 9 pounds and the rest 6-7 pounds. Hopefully there are a few more around than they were expecting this summer.

more sockeye around then pinks

1628696736052.png

Fished the Head to the Shack yesterday morning. Picked up 8, 10 and 12 lb spring quickly. Just used Gibbs G-Force spoons 40-70ft. Another easy morning

Another hot calm day today; in fact I have never seen so many zero’s on the BWD wind forecast, so we head out again to Muir.

We are now paranoid about crab traps and made sure we were 75 metres away from any we saw!:oops:

Lines in water just before 7:00am and for the first two hours nothing much happened. We released 4 sockeye (again!) and one unclipped coho and four or five short fat undersized chinook.

Then at 9:15am, trolling west with the ebb, I had a good double bounce hit, struck and his head shaking boring down pull told me this was a decent chinook. I said as much to my wife and at that moment she leapt forward to strike the other rod. Went from nothing to double header in 10 seconds!! :) :)

Hers ran a good distance and I told her that it was probably bigger than mine. However, as mine looked like it was turning we concentrated on that. She returned her rod to the holder with the drag at a low setting and we netted mine at 78cm, later weighing in at 15lb. We quickly turned our attention to the other rod and incredibly he was still there! A couple more short runs and we netted one at 80cm on the dot and weighing in at 17lb. :)

Little herring in t.h. did the damage again. One at 55’ (green/gold) and one at 66’ (tiger stripe) in about 80’ of water.

We turned out deeper to try for pinks but after 20 minutes we had nothing, which was not surprising as we had not encountered a single one while trolling for the chinook. Maybe they are done? So we headed in so we could get the boat out at Sunny shores before low tide.

Back at the ranch, both fish were whites....

Altogether memorable day, that is for sure.
Doubleheader.jpg

Last edited:
I was fishing solo this AM and after a couple of long distance releases( at the Head and the east corner of the trap) I caught a 14 lb Chinook on a 4” skinny G. Pulled the gear in and bombed out to the corner store(400 plus depth) and put the pink gear on. Took me less than 20 minutes to get my 3 and played and released a nice Chinook on the pink gear. The pinks are definitely not done. I was finished by 7:30.
E36BDC7E-3595-4A75-B3F0-BB872EA1DA03.jpeg

I was fishing solo this AM and after a couple of long distance releases( at the Head and the east corner of the trap) I caught a 14 lb Chinook on a 4” skinny G. Pulled the gear in and bombed out to the corner store(400 plus depth) and put the pink gear on. Took me less than 20 minutes to get my 3 and played and released a nice Chinook on the pink gear. The pinks are definitely not done. I was finished by 7:30.
View attachment 69199
corner store, lol.

View attachment 69199
Have you done any kayak fishing this year?

Have you done any kayak fishing this year?
Tried for halibut a few times this spring off Albert Head but no luck.Last week we were up in Renfrew for 4 days with the power boat and I usually take the yak to fish the Nose and East point but my leg was buggered up so I stuck to our powerboat. I’m going up to Alberni canal this weekend for a kayak derby by Franklin 4CF53734-6E71-4C1F-A8B2-1148162B9142.jpegderby by Franklin River. When I get back the tides/currents will have settled down so I’ll try Otter. Fishing in the canal right off our campsite at Macktush was beautiful last year.
T2

Tried for halibut a few times this spring off Albert Head but no luck.Last week we were up in Renfrew for 4 days with the power boat and I usually take the yak to fish the Nose and East point but my leg was buggered up so I stuck to our powerboat. I’m going up to Alberni canal this weekend for a kayak derby by Franklin View attachment 69210derby by Franklin River. When I get back the tides/currents will have settled down so I’ll try Otter. Fishing in the canal right off our campsite at Macktush was beautiful last year.
T2
I didn’t realize there was a kayak derby at PA or close. That sounds super fun. How many boats usually show up? And is it an overnight thing? Also is it road access to the launch?

Just curious, what to do with a runner that surfaces some 200 m from your boat Toward shore. At the Head. I was solo yesterday and while letting her run, threw the boat in neutral. long line out with boats all around. Funny thing, it surfaced within netting distancing of a boat setting up their gear. They netted it for me, having sighted the line. Net transfer and thankfully the fish was under the limit. Problem solved. But what best to do on these busy days in this situation. What if the fish came up under someone’s gear, got in their prop etc?
Should we meat line the fish With a tighter drag, risking a break and loss of fish or gear. Reason I ask is I had the same thing happen, twice last year between Posession and Secretary, with boats all around.

Attachments

• 1628780213043.png
    1628780213043.png
    1 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Just curious, what to do with a runner that surfaces some 200 m from your boat Toward shore. I was solo yesterday and while letting her run, threw the boat in neutral. long line out with boats all around. Funny thing, it surfaced within netting distancing of a boat setting up their gear. They netted it for me, having sighted the line. Net transfer and thankfully the fish was under the limit. Problem solved. But what best to do on these busy days in this situation. What if the fish came up under someone’s gear, got in their prop etc?
Should we meat line the fish With a tighter drag, risking a break and loss of fish or gear?
Sounds like a little more pressure might help if was a teenager it probably didn’t need to run quite that far if you are using a single action reel just a bit more palm other reels I think are more difficult to regulate congratulations on a nice fish

Sorry to derail the thread, But what lures are you guys getting the sockeye on. I may make a run out to the boarder and have a look.

Well from a hatchery and net pen person in Sooke I think we are on to something very special for this area.
this is by far one of the best fishing seasons I have ever seen. With the number of clipped fish out there from the US and Sooke net pen project it’s working.
ENJOY AND SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL VOLUNTEER HATCHERY AND NET PEN PROJECT

Released 9 sockeye today and most were real beauties. Were more of them than pinks. Lost 7 sprigs in a row this afternoon before we finally got our 3 for the 2nd boat limit for the day. So that was 19 springs on the gear for about 5 hours fishing springs total. 3 heads from hatchery fish today. Pretty sure some of the fish milling around are Robertson Creek fish. I had fished Bamfield for a number of years and began recognizing the appearance of their fish...head returns in the past 4-5 years has confirmed a large number of those fish frequent JDF Strait in August.

Pretty sure some of the fish milling around are Robertson Creek fish. I had fished Bamfield for a number of years and began recognizing the appearance of their fish..
EVER thought that maybe just maybe there our our net pen fish????? that we have worked so hard with to raise...Im sorry but if you can look at a fish and can tell me what river its from thats quite impressive bud , you should get a job with DFO then they wont DNA anymore . yes im saying this tongue and cheek as I find it rather funny .

As for a report fishing is on fire I must say we got into 12 or so yesterday am and man are they ever spicy fish they way they they are fighting, today unfortunately was a mostly bait show only one on the spoon

1628853625899.png

Released 9 sockeye today and most were real beauties. Were more of them than pinks. Lost 7 sprigs in a row this afternoon before we finally got our 3 for the 2nd boat limit for the day. So that was 19 springs on the gear for about 5 hours fishing springs total. 3 heads from hatchery fish today. Pretty sure some of the fish milling around are Robertson Creek fish. I had fished Bamfield for a number of years and began recognizing the appearance of their fish...head returns in the past 4-5 years has confirmed a large number of those fish frequent JDF Strait in August.

The Robertson run don't migrate though there much. Seen the data. They tend to migrate north outside Island down. I just came back and a lot of fish we got were outside of your 80cm. A lot of them are also unmarked. I guess will see from heads you guys submit.

Back