The leader broke because the fish was put into a net right? Otherwise you wouldn't be holding a fish...right
Maybe try trolling out on the salt instead of on this forum?
This has been fun. ✌

Pretty sure I had put a stop to this earlier in the thread, but here it is again.

The debate over the handling of fish and guessing of weights from a photo have been had many times over. We are going to put stop to this latest version right here. Hope you all have a great time on the water and the fish cooperate for you!
Now, back to reports!

Enjoyed an almost wind free session today...much nicer than the last couple times out. Managed to get into a few Coho today and enjoyed watching my youngest boy running his own gear and getting results! While I won't complain about the Sun we have been having, the overcast sky wasn't such a bad change of pace!

J 16.jpg

J 16 1.jpg

This is bit of a late post. I got invited out on my friend "Yellow Rod's" boat to fish Beecher Bay earlier this week. The conditions were a bit lumpy but we were able to hook in to 4 springs with the biggest one being about 16-17 lbs. We used bait, wee G's, Andrew P spoons and a white hootie. We caught the largest spring on the anchovy. We also kept a hatchery coho and a pink. All in all a fun day on the water and some steady action on the rods.

Couple late reports: About 2 weeks ago got my 1st or 2nd biggest fish ever. It was over 35lbs, my fishing partner Pretty Boyd Floyd would not let me go higher than 35lbs, lol but I am guessing probably 38lbs. It was huge. I could barely lift it. The one I got 11 years ago in Port Renfrew was 40lbs and it was just as big. But I will take 35 lbs. It was an incredible fight right in the meat hole. Biggest runs ever. Fish just hung straight up and down for about 8 minutes. I could barely move him. Its the biggest fish my buddy had ever seen and we have been fishing a long time. Released for another day after a long, patience release. He was tired and so was I. Absolutely stunning fish, Bright chrome, hardly any lice and not a mark on it. Nice to see. Swam away hopefully to reproduce. My buddy got a nice 14lb but was a baby compared to my beast! Thanks PBF for a great day and life memory.

Last week, took my sister out from Calgary. She loves fishing. She has been texting me to see how we can get a salmon for her birthday party she was having with friends and needed about a 12lb fish to feed everyone. I was like do you have $300-$400 would get you a nice fish at Save on Foods as all places are closed to retention except for a small opening at Cheanuh Marina in the bay. She was can we go there. Sure we can go there but don't get your hopes up. We start early morning 4:30am first boat on the water, lines in right away after getting out of marina. We trolled for about 15 minutes got to lamb island had a great hit, rod pounding, then gone. Grrr. She was so upset. I was like well they are here. Thats a good sign. Did a spin and when back, bam rod goes off, smaller fish 9lb hatchery, bonk kept, she was crying with excitement. She couldn't believe it. I said were just getting started. Did another spin, bam gone one on now, pounding hard, just popped the pin as grabbed rod and fight is one. She did a great job it a was a beauty fish 16lb hatchery, she was just over the moon and could feed all her guests. Happy Birthday, you can give me the $400 now you were going to pay save on foods. Lol. I let that slide since it was her day. We just kept circling in the bay and get fish after fish. She was so tired she couldn't do it anymore. Once she was tired, I move out of the catch zone and headed up to Aldridge Point. I couldn't get past the point as windy and foggy and didn't want to take her up that far as it was such a good day so far. So I turned back, bam rod goes off, pin popper, she too tired she says you take it. Awesome fight in the tides, waves, she did a great net job was an incredible beautiful chrome hatchery beauty 19lbs, released. We trolled higher around the bay for about another hour. Got another smaller one about 8lbs and a double header both hit, on and gone. We called it a day and a memory she will not forget. Cheers .

Well BWD promised a break in the gale force winds we have endured all week, so went out again today. No fog for a change either! Quite a few boats out front and off Secretary, so we stayed in 200’ of water closer in than most. Found our limit of pinks in about 3 hours, most at 70’ on pink hootchies. Must have lost about 6 pink and release three unclipped coho. Back home in time for coffee and a light lunch.

Family commitments will keep us off the water again, until August. Will be nice to try for chinook again (I hope!) :).

Out this morning off Secretary and it was full on action as fast as you could get them down they had fish on. Mostly pinks today. We kept 9 pinks and 3 hatch coho, tossed 4 wild coho and many pnks trying for more coho. The 9th pink lassoed itself and took awhile to untangle so had to bonk it. Ran up to Otter for a couple hours for springs and released 1 about 14 pounds. Fished 30 to 70 feet and didn't seem to matter.

Slowly getting this South Island fishing figured out! Coho, Pinks and two ok springs to the boat yesterday with my 7 year old daughter on the rods!

For those of you that have fished the area for years. Historically what is the best week for spring fishing?

Trying to line up a weekend with my oldest friend to come fishing. Would like to try and time it around the chance to get few springs to the boat.

Thanks

For those of you that have fished the area for years. Historically what is the best week for spring fishing?
when they are open... really anytime in aug look for am floods

Today limit of pink and coho in a hour was insane fishing!!! now is the time to get the kids out for sure dont wait get them out there kids love this stuff . 20 to 60 was depths normal squirts and spoons

Slowly getting this South Island fishing figured out! Coho, Pinks and two ok springs to the boat yesterday with my 7 year old daughter on the rods!

Trying to line up a weekend with my oldest friend to come fishing. Would like to try and time it around the chance to get few springs to the boat.

Thanks
My experience is from mid june to aug. it changes from week to week with the runs of spawners moving threw. Some days are hot some are not ,but first light and tide change are the best times to be out fishing !

Took part in the Sat morning pink raid at Secretary. Was fun playing multiple double headers solo. A few small coho mixed in as well. Biggest fish was a nice unmarked coho. No springs. But saw a nice hatch spring at the cleaning table at Cheanuh. So the open area does produce the odd keeper.

Thanks
If I had to pick a time I would say the middle two weeks in August. The guides on here catch them any time but for "regular guys" like me that always seems the best.

Took a couple of buddies out to look for pinks/coho this morning. We had lines in at the Head at 9 and quickly got into fish. It’s always fun to watch guys who don’t do much fishing play fish, handle double headers: all the fun stuff. My friend was just putting a line back down after getting a pink, the flasher and hootchie were still dragging on the surface as he was putting the line in the clip when a nice spring climbed on. He had fun playing it before we released it beside the boat. We ended up with 10 pinks and 2 hatch coho.E5A4C428-7C51-4D7F-AE72-A07AD053F6DD.jpeg

If I had to pick a time I would say the middle two weeks in August. The guides on here catch them any time but for "regular guys" like me that always seems the best.

Took a couple of buddies out to look for pinks/coho this morning. We had lines in at the Head at 9 and quickly got into fish. It’s always fun to watch guys who don’t do much fishing play fish, handle double headers: all the fun stuff. My friend was just putting a line back down after getting a pink, the flasher and hootchie were still dragging on the surface as he was putting the line in the clip when a nice spring climbed on. He had fun playing it before we released it beside the boat. We ended up with 10 pinks and 2 hatch coho.View attachment 68364

Thanks for the tip. If the weather gods are with me Friday I may attempt a little fishing pleasure :) With the west winds predicted at 15+ knots I may be able to try Pedder and push out a little deeper for some pinks.

Cheer, Ron

Was out today in Beecher Bay in the small open area for hatchery keepers , one about 12-13 lbs. wild ,then at the tide change at 8:00AM got in to a double header of springs estimated at 25 plus both wild ,released all un-harmed . Out of 4 attempts , only one 9-10 lb. hatchery keeper , can't wait till it opens up for a wild keeper !

Back