Was out everyday today was the last of 7 in a row and limits everyday of pink and hatch coho today in am pinks are getting bigger already GREAT to see...started off at 31 feet with red flasher pink squirt not 5 mins in off the island and BAM guys I had never got a slamon before ....WELL here ya guys go after a great long scream and great battle what come sup but a nice HATCHERY spring about 20 lbs FRACK I had explained earler any big ones have to go back.... so first fish his biggest fish ever has to go back what a shame F$%^K you DFO...
finished off with 9 pinks and 3 hatch coho was a awesome am ...

Not sure where you got your information
N0651-Recreational - Salmon - Chinook - Southeast Vancouver Island - Areas 18, 19, 20, and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 - Effective August 1, 2021; and Subareas 20-1, 20-2, 29-1 and 29-2 measures effective July 15
DFO Email and from DFO Website

Was out everyday today was the last of 7 in a row and limits everyday of pink and hatch coho today in am pinks are getting bigger already GREAT to see...started off at 31 feet with red flasher pink squirt not 5 mins in off the island and BAM guys I had never got a slamon before ....WELL here ya guys go after a great long scream and great battle what come sup but a nice HATCHERY spring about 20 lbs FRACK I had explained earler any big ones have to go back.... so first fish his biggest fish ever has to go back what a shame F$%^K you DFO...
finished off with 9 pinks and 3 hatch coho was a awesome am ...
Sounds like he enjoyed an excellent fight. There’s tremendous value in that, probably more than in the eating. In my opinion, while I like eating salmon, there’s no comparison. I can’t buy the fight, but I can buy a fish to eat. You put him in the position to get what mattered.

We it looks like : Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.... Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.
In the Sooke area 20-5 because the rest of it is closed 20-4 & 20-3 are closed to salmon fishing to support Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery from August 1 until October 31, 2021.
Oh Well ..... Lots of pinks & coho this year.

Can some one post the map or maps of areas and zones of 18,19& 20 that show when and what’s open /closed ? I would like to send to to a buddy planning a trip. Just way easier than trying to decipher and explain

I explained to him that the Vic waterfront to sheriingham will open Aug 1st for 1 chinook 45-80cm. He is considering venturing elsewhere though in hopes of 2/day

T
Can some one post the map or maps of areas and zones of 18,19& 20 that show when and what’s open /closed ? I would like to send to to a buddy planning a trip. Just way easier than trying to decipher and explain

I explained to him that the Vic waterfront to sheriingham will open Aug 1st for 1 chinook 45-80cm. He is considering venturing elsewhere though in hopes of 2/day
The Fishing BC app shows all of the areas and current openings and closures - you can select an area by map and species to check any of the spots you might want to fish.

Fished off the Head 8-11:30. We were pretty much the only boat out for the first few hours. Lots of Coho and Pink action. Kept 7 pinks and 1 nice size hatch Coho. Tossed back another 10 Coho that were wild and small. Fish were all over the surface.

Was out the other day off of Seceretary Island (120-250 ft) got 3 pinks & 1 nice hatchery Coho for super. Runing spoons on DR at 42' and 68'. Also released a number of wild coho. Finished the day off by doing a pass by Possession & released a nice hatchery spring around (12-15lbs) that gave me a nice fight. DR at 60ft, running a skinng G spoon. Nice morning, no fog !!!!!

I am wondering if anyone pays attention to the solunar activity when deciding what time of day to go fishing? Today for instance it says 12 - 2pm is a really good time so we thought we would put the theory to the test.

Out again yesterday really picked up at about 9 ish LOTS of action funny thing saw pinks swimming on surface, and well ok ill try set rigger at 15 feet bam wham. took a few home for me too ... was all over from east side of secretary to harbour entrance it seemed water depth they are liking that 200 foot level but it changes everyday.

I am wondering if anyone pays attention to the solunar activity when deciding what time of day to go fishing? Today for instance it says 12 - 2pm is a really good time so we thought we would put the theory to the test.
Low slack is 1304 (right about now!) at Juan De Fuca east entrance, so that's a a plus...

The only problems with afternoon fishing in sooke or anywhere rally is the wind usually comes up and makes for hard fishing sometimes on a good flood tide and west wind its ok but man it can get nasty ..

Well we didn’t get out on the water till about 1:30 pm cos we were watching the fog. Hate fishing in fog. Stayed out until about 4:30. I hear you Wolf, wind definitely turns fishing into work. We caught a pink and a hatchery coho for the smoker. So I guess you can catch in the afternoon sometimes. I don’t mind not catching much if it’s a beautiful, calm, sun just right kinda day. Today was not that kind of day but it wasn’t bad.

Will be fishing out of pedder Monday to Wednesday. Hopefully not to lumpy out there. If its too lumpy as ill have kids with me, we may have to hide in cowards cove (pedder bay). Any hatch springs getting kept out of Becher? And is it super busy in that sliver of water DFO so graciously allowed us to try for a hatch Spring?

I will report findings. Hopefully

Fished 6-10am this morning! Fairly lumpy for the first hour I am glad I had some buddies with me as the wind and current made the first part of the day challenging. Not something my wife would have put up with.

First hour was slow after loosing a pin popper right away. We eventually got into a school of 10lb springs and played quiet a few of those almost all hatchery fish. I could not find the coho I was looking for but right at the buzzer we got a 20lb spring that put up a great fight. The coho we did get are definitely larger than what I have been getting.

Spent a few hours working around the wind from Bedford's to Bechy Head. A couple small Coho and a few misses until about noon at the head. My kid lost a decent Chinook after it popped the clip and then a few minutes later brought a beauty to the boat. Unfortunately, it released itself beside the boat just as I was going to get a picture of it in the water, so we can't debate how big it was! I won't pretend to be an expert at guessing, but it was a great battle for sure...best my son has ever had to date. We were in about 180 feet of water and fishing a medium sized Herring in a bullet roll teaser head at 48 feet on the rigger. The interesting thing about the Herring was it had been brined and in my freezer since last summer. I was just going to dump it overboard as an offering to the fish Gods but decided to give it a go as we we only got a couple small ones on Anchovy! It wasn't as pretty as a fresh one, but both of the bigger fish we hooked didn't seem to mind! Here is a few seconds of video I did get of one of the 3 or 4 big runs it took.

Last edited:
Pushed through the slop yesterday morning at first light with the girlfriend, bit of a wild ride in my 17’ hourston coming through the spit, tucked in behind secretary island pretty consistent action on pinks, coho and a few springs released brought home a hatch coho about 5lbs and a few pinks. Off the water by 10am can’t complain.

Well, after:-
  • One pandemic third wave
  • Two mRNA jabs,
  • One total knee replacement surgery
  • The arrival of grandchild #2
  • A world attention getting record heat wave
  • And endless wind and fog subsequently
we finally got out on the water again at 6:45am today after an absence of 9 months!

New BWD website said it would be “Okish” so we gave it a go. Fished at 50-65’, in 130-250’ of water with pink and pink striped hootchies and squirts. Still turned out lumpier and foggier than we expected, but we limited on pinks in under two hours and called it a day. Released one unclipped coho only. May have been more coho further out but got even lumpier past 250’ so did not try.

Anyone know what the big cream coloured can buoy with the orange flashing light on top is all about, just off Possession?? Weird….?

Last edited:
Back