Is there a risk of wrapping the rod line around the DR cable when in light or slack tides? Seems to me you could have slightly different currents at these depths.

Never had it happen as I said only use it when the current is running to hard for 2 pound balls. As soon as I see the wake trail off the back of the boat drop off I switch them back to rod weights one at a time.

Never had it happen as I said only use it when the current is running to hard for 2 pound balls. As soon as I see the wake trail off the back of the boat drop off I switch them back to rod weights one at a time.
I am a bit confused. If you are using a release clip, are you still restricted to two pounds of weight?

This method uses both the downrigger and a release clip, so it should fall under the downrigger rules no?
I’m not sure what you mean. I’ve never used a downrigger without a release clip. I think the thrust of the rule is you can’t have a lure (jig) or weight permanently attached to your line that is more than a kilo. Because the downrigger weight is not permanently attached, but releases, more than a kilo is okay. This rule is specifically found in the finfish (other than salmon) section, so it seems directed to halibut fishing.

So long as there is no more than a kilo of weight attached directly to your rod you can use as much weight as you wish...and so long as a release clip frees you of the weight when playing the fish. A downrigger with a release clip meets these requirements.

So long as there is no more than a kilo of weight attached directly to your rod you can use as much weight as you wish...and so long as a release clip frees you of the weight when playing the fish. A downrigger with a release clip meets these requirements.
I read your post above as you were only using the 2lb balls on the downrigger. This makes so much more sense now

I think I do it the same as ProFisher. Just as he discribed it.
Your spreader bar is attached to your downrigger line but with a 15 pound ball on it instead of the normal 2.
Your line coming from your halibut rod and reel is attached to a release clip on the end of your spreader bar, which releases when you hook a fish. (maybe not if its a slimy dog)
You then get to bring in your halibut with no weight whatsoever.
It's the same as fishing springs except with an added spreader bar. If you wanted, you could fish springs the same way, but no need to!
Pretty simple and fully legal. It would be illegal if with out the release pin.
Actually, it is a pain in the butt and I prefer to do it the regular way with slow tides.

i see no reason to use the spreader at all...or the old school red pin release clips

i see no reason to use the spreader at all...or the old school red pin release clips

Spreader bar helps prevent twangles

I have used this technique with a couple 3’ custom spreaders I made. It works but it’s just easier and better to fish the slower currents and the known way

I had high hopes with this method that it would open up more Hali opportunities but realistically finding and knowing the spots to be when the currents are stronger is more effective in my opinion.

Hello fellas, pretty quiet reports this year. Are there any cohol around? Heading that way in July for our annual trip. Hope there's something to fish for lol. Any Spring getting caught in the sliver they let us fish?

There are some fish around in the bay. Mix of wilds & hatchies from 40-60'. Lots of small baitfish in the there yesterday. Think it's a pink year too so maybe they'll be around also.

There are some fish around in the bay. Mix of wilds & hatchies from 40-60'. Lots of small baitfish in the there yesterday. Think it's a pink year too so maybe they'll be around also.
Oh i forgot about the pinks ‍♂️
Mid July we are going. When you say the bay do you mean the beecher bay where we can keep hatch Springs? I'm coming out of pedder and correct me if I'm wrong but up until July 14 when 20-1/2 open up there will only be fishing for Springs in the orange marked part of Beecher? Except for Renfrew.

Oh i forgot about the pinks ‍♂️
Mid July we are going. When you say the bay do you mean the beecher bay where we can keep hatch Springs? I'm coming out of pedder and correct me if I'm wrong but up until July 14 when 20-1/2 open up there will only be fishing for Springs in the orange marked part of Beecher? Except for Renfrew.
20-1 isn't open until August 1

20-1 isn't open until August 1
Thanks for the reply. It looks to me like 20-1/2 both open but I understand that these regs can be confusing and I could definitely be wrong. I swear, I am a fully functioning adult who graduated both high-school and college and I still cannot wrap my head around some of these regulations, especially when they get into some of the Restriction and sub boundaries. Always like to be in compliance and ignorance is no excuse. My understanding is that up until July 13 in 20 - 5 the open fishery will be 1 hatch spring at Beecher bay, 2 hatch coho, 2 Hali/day and 2 possession. I will double check closer to the date. I like my gear and don't want to surrender it to DFO!

SpeciesAreasMin SizeGearLimits
(d/p/a)
Status
Chinook Salmon20-1,20-2Barbless Hook & Line0/0/0Non-retention until Jul 14 (See Restrictions)
20-3 to 20-7Barbless Hook & Line0/0/0Non-retention until Jul 31 (See Restrictions)
Chum Salmon2030cmBarbless Hook & Line4/8/-Open (See Restrictions)
Coho Salmon (Hatchery)2030cmBarbless Hook & Line2/4/-Open until Dec 31 (See Restrictions)
Coho Salmon (Wild)20Barbless Hook & Line0/0/-Non-retention (See Restrictions)
Pink Salmon2030cmBarbless Hook & Line4/8/-Open (See Restrictions)
Sockeye Salmon20Barbless Hook & Line0/0/-

Took a long shot and tried for early coho in 400 ft of water off Beechy for a couple of hours yesterday evening. It was a successful shakedown cruise in that all systems functioned well but as will come to noones surprise, no coho.

Back