I'd have a lot more keepers this winter if the size was 57cm. Seems to be the size of a vancouver fish this year

A fellow-kayaker and I launched from Cheanuh on Friday, Jan. 29, and both managed to land decent fish (and lose a bunch more), making for another great day on the water.

Great morning out there, Cliff! Maybe next time the ratio will be better, ha. I think I went 1-8 or so. Changing out my hooks now. Glad you nabbed the second one!

Did you keep the sablefish, or were you deterred by my worm story? Couple o' tasty fish tacos in that little guy.

Great morning out there, Cliff! Maybe next time the ratio will be better, ha. I think I went 1-8 or so. Changing out my hooks now. Glad you nabbed the second one!

Did you keep the sablefish, or were you deterred by my worm story? Couple o' tasty fish tacos in that little guy.
Believe me, I've spent enough days in the kayak where the ratio is 0:0 so that even getting a decent hit is satisfying. Of course, it's always nice to come home with a fish.

I kept the sablefish in the, as it turned out, vain hope that I would get a few more to smoke. Now it's going to sit in the freezer waiting for companions--or until it goes into a chowder.

A fellow-kayaker and I launched from Cheanuh on Friday, Jan. 29, and both managed to land decent fish (and lose a bunch more), making for another great day on the water.

Out of curiosity, when you said you thought you had a shaker so you loosened the drag and let it run around, what’s that all about?
Why not just get it in and let it go as quickly as possible for its best chance at survival?

Last edited:
Reactions: MRW
Out of curiosity, when you said you thought you had a shaker so you loosened the drag and let it run around, what’s that all about?
Why not just get it in and let it go as quickly as possible for its best chance at survival?
Given how hard it seems to be to get them to stick fishing from a kayak, that was all about thinking it would probably just spit the hook so I wouldn't have to reel it all the way in. Fortunately for me that didn't happen this time and it turned out to be a fairly decent fish.

Perhaps the imprecise language in my on-the-water post-fishing recap left the impression that I dragged this fish around for quite a while. Checking the raw video, 27 seconds elapsed between the time I backed the drag off and then tightened it back up when the fish didn't release. Bearing in mind that I'm not spiralling small fish behind an 11-inch flasher with the kicker running, I don't think the the survivability would have been significantly impacted if it had turned out to be a shaker; and it would have been at least marginally improved if it had spit the hook as I expected.

Given how hard it seems to be to get them to stick fishing from a kayak, that was all about thinking it would probably just spit the hook so I wouldn't have to reel it all the way in. Fortunately for me that didn't happen this time and it turned out to be a fairly decent fish.

Perhaps the imprecise language in my on-the-water post-fishing recap left the impression that I dragged this fish around for quite a while. Checking the raw video, 27 seconds elapsed between the time I backed the drag off and then tightened it back up when the fish didn't release. Bearing in mind that I'm not spiralling small fish behind an 11-inch flasher with the kicker running, I don't think the the survivability would have been significantly impacted if it had turned out to be a shaker; and it would have been at least marginally improved if it had spit the hook as I expected.
Great report. Kudos for the midwinter Kayak fishing. On the issue of trying to get a shaker loose.. it is actually a good point. As part of the avid angler program I am always trying to land shakers so I can get a DNA sample... but for those trying to minimize handling, slack lining them for a couple seconds to see if they can spit the hook is probably a good approach.

As part of the avid angler program I am always trying to land shakers so I can get a DNA sample
Curious as to what the DNA data is used for & are there limits/goals as to how many fish are sampled? I assume it increases the already 20% mortality rate of released small fish........

Curious as to what the DNA data is used for & are there limits/goals as to how many fish are sampled? I assume it increases the already 20% mortality rate of released small fish........

OMG. LOL.

When I see comments like this it enforces why we are collecting data. Thanks @Bugs for being part of the avid anger DNA program, and being part of the solution/not the problem.

Fished Beecher Bay, 9-11:30, lots of undersized crab, 2 keepers. 3 winter springs, 55cm, all bouncing bottom. Skinny g did the trick, sunny, calm...beautiful day!

We were off of Pedder Wednesday and Thurs for hali. Picked up a chicken (85cm) on Wednesday and one that didn't stick on Thursday. No dogiges but my buddy has a couple of skate to his credit. He hasn't caught a hali in about 10 trips so now he wants to switch sides. LOL I usually get one every 4 or 5 trips so nothing to brag about either, but it's fun trying.

Back