2020 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Wya and eagles nest from 1:30-4:30 this afternoon. Went 3/3 on springs.

I've never had the chance to visit in September. Looking forward to something different.
Your plan is what I would do, but if I go out to a bank, I'll anchor for hali. There is nothing better than the first click of a hali reel interrupting a nap on the deck of the boat- think Jaws. We'll give Beg and Chrow a try when my wife is along.

Tried Red can and light house Saturday from 2 to 4pm. Not even a bite so went out to South bank and released 4 under sized Springs. Sunday was out at Wya an hour after high tide and picked up a 21# Spring dragging an anchovy at 50ft down. One of the best fights I've seen in a long time. Jumped a few times for a show. Had her to the boat 5 times before netting her. She'd peel line straight down every time we'd get eyes on her.

Last edited:
Fished little beach from 6-8am then trolled from the light house to begg island. Not even one bite. Packin it in. Had a pretty great season fishing out of our $2,000 16 foot whaler copy. Lots of great memories and the Freezers are full with halibut and salmon; can’t ask for much more than that. See y’all next year

Hi,

Any Mackerel around. Ever since I started making my own Shime Saba using frozen mackerel I have been hooked. Hooked enough that if the mackerel show up in Ukee harbour in numbers I would drive out from CR just to fish for them. I figure bleed straight into slush ice and then vac pack and freeze that night. Any around this year? typically when they do show up what is the peak time?

Thanks

Don't know but will see from the condo if anyone is jigging them in the boat basin. My wife biffed the first fish then played the next two like a champ. So we were 2 for 3 today at eagle's nest. 12 and 22 lbs, bankers' hours- 9-noon. Low tide was 10:30.

Picked up a mid teen at Wya yesterday 1 hour after the high tide. Saw a few other boats hook up during the same hour. Went quiet after that so went out to try for a Hali around Inner South Bank. Dropped a chum bag on the rigger ball and drifted off the bottom. One rod had a big lead head with swim bait. The other a big glow Hoochie with led weight. Both had a herring and piece of salmon on the hook. Nothing for 1 hour then released a Dogfish that grabbed the swim bait. Right after that we hooked into something big on the Hoochie. I imagine it was most likely a Hali the way it pulled, but I'll never know. It bent the hook about 10 ft below the boat and got off. Haha. Serves me right for not changing the original triple on that Hoochie for a couple of beefy singles. Small consolation was our limit on nice size Black Rock fish just East of the Red Can. Perfect for ceviche.

I'll be Ucluelet next week from Vancouver, haven't been there for 20yrs+. any advise for onshore fishing, crabbing, pier fishing and also bring Zodiac with me too.
but looks like weather is not good. any tips
Thanks

I'll be Ucluelet next week from Vancouver, haven't been there for 20yrs+. any advise for onshore fishing, crabbing, pier fishing and also bring Zodiac with me too.
but looks like weather is not good. any tips
Thanks

For crabbing you can drop a trap right off 52 steps dock for Red Rocks. For dungees put a trap in the harbour closer to the muddy East side. It's best to be considerate of boat traffic and stay away from the middle.
Pier fishing can be done of 52 steps also, but only really small fish.
Near shore fishing for Salmon seems to be still going on near Wya Point and Light house, but pretty slow. Lately I've been getting good results for Black Rock fish on the West side of the George Fraser Islands. Just jig near the kelp beds. The Mac Deep or Amundson Mac Jig work well.

Went way down and fished by Pill and Crosse points for a couple hrs on Saturday. Lots of fish around, but no bites for us. Damn Sealions followed us around. Saw lots of them thrashing around with nice salmon in their jaws.

For crabbing you can drop a trap right off 52 steps dock for Red Rocks. For dungees put a trap in the harbour closer to the muddy East side. It's best to be considerate of boat traffic and stay away from the middle.
Pier fishing can be done of 52 steps also, but only really small fish.
Near shore fishing for Salmon seems to be still going on near Wya Point and Light house, but pretty slow. Lately I've been getting good results for Black Rock fish on the West side of the George Fraser Islands. Just jig near the kelp beds. The Mac Deep or Amundson Mac Jig work well.

Thanks nez_fer, things didn't go as I planed, had to cancelled, hope to go there next year.

Went way down and fished by Pill and Crosse points for a couple hrs on Saturday. Lots of fish around, but no bites for us. Damn Sealions followed us around. Saw lots of them thrashing around with nice salmon in their jaws.

I'll be biting my fingers for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back