2020 Prince Rupert Fishing Report

Any updates from Rupert? I hear locals still dont want any out of town boats around?

I kind of consider myself local.....I live in smihers. But have resisted going due to the people of prince Rupert asking non residents of the community to stay away. I respect their angst over the current situation, but will most likely give it a try in the next month at some point.
Just wondering if anyone has actually fished there in the recent past.

Are you still looking at heading to PR in May?

Rumour has it starting today there will be a roadblock in between terrace and Rupert

Omg..... Well that road block should be set up both ways. That way everything that comes into Rupert can stay in Rupert. Cant have it both ways.

Once the ships start waiting to unload due to road closed it will quickly be taken down.

What is it with road blocks latley?

Omg..... Well that road block should be set up both ways. That way everything that comes into Rupert can stay in Rupert. Cant have it both ways.

Once the ships start waiting to unload due to road closed it will quickly be taken down.

What is it with road blocks latley?
Maybe because these small coastal towns have very limited medical facilities and by limiting the visitors coming into their towns they can substantially reduce their exposure? Google Alert Bay

Also, Haida Gwaii is doing the same thing

Maybe because these small coastal towns have very limited medical facilities and by limiting the visitors coming into their towns they can substantially reduce their exposure? Google Alert Bay

Also, Haida Gwaii is doing the same thing[

Not dismissing what’s going on in the world but seams to be fear mongering going on. This isn’t going on down on the island or lower main land

Rumour has it starting today there will be a roadblock in between terrace and Rupert
Not sure if that would be legal it’s under federal jurisdiction being the trans Canada. Interesting to see what happens. Seams like fear mongering from local officials to me. I get the virus thing but blocking highways and harbour access would get you in a world of hurt in my neck of the woods.

This burns me ... the roadblock "thing" and the hatred towards out of town license plates "thing".

If it is legal to travel from AB to BC (which it is) within the government health authorities guidelines, then no group
has the right to harrass or limit this lawful travel and if they do so and break the law then they should be held accountable.

I get it, small communities have limited health resources - but per capita it is similar across Canada (ie the
number of hospital beds per 1000 people etc). Yes ... the very small communities could potentially be in some
statistically elevated peril, but to shut down the whole coast from "outsiders" ... crazy.

Perhaps its a conspiracy way of thinking ... but certain "Nations" up North on the coast who dislike
out of town fishermen who pay to go to fishing lodges and who erroneously cite fish stocks in decline etc as a
a reason to keep people out ... could use this COVID issue to further their exclusivity to the water near their
shores.

I know I know - inflammatory but there is some chatter towards this.

This has gotten far off the topic. I get that these are not "normal" times but let's stick to fishing reports here if and when you do get out.

Fished the 14th, 15th, and. 16th in Rupert. Weather was great and so was the fishing. we fished halibut for a day and a half catching multiple overs before getting everyone's limits. The best I have ever seen it.
Chinook fishing was off and on. We fished two half days and landed about a dozen. All were on the smaller size with the average being about 8 pounds, and didn't catch anything above 12. Talked to others who did either better and worse. Same old story had to be at the right location at the right time. We fished Avery for the most part.
Rupert itself was good, never went into any stores except for the fish processor, not even a gas station. Looks as busy as any small town in the north right now. All interactions with people, which were mostly at the launch were good. Creel survey people were out full time at the dock. Even got checked by DFO on the water which is a rarity up here. They said fishing pressure is way down.

Also crabbing was off the charts, lots of big ones!

Chinook fishing was off and on. We fished two half days and landed about a dozen. All were on the smaller size with the average being about 8 pounds, and didn't catch anything above 12. Talked to others who did either better and worse. Same old story had to be at the right location at the right time. We fished Avery for the most part.
Rupert itself was good, never went into any stores except for the fish processor, not even a gas station. Looks as busy as any small town in the north right now. All interactions with people, which were mostly at the launch were good. Creel survey people were out full time at the dock. Even got checked by DFO on the water which is a rarity up here. They said fishing pressure is way down.

I wonder if this will be the new normal for this time of year with the Area F fishery now being delayed so much.

Confused - did you go with a charter or on your own with some buddies.

Given Langara is out this year - and North King we are thinking of flying into Rupert to go with
a lodge (unguided). Curious how you did it.

Thanks.

Confused - did you go with a charter or on your own with some buddies.

Given Langara is out this year - and North King we are thinking of flying into Rupert to go with
a lodge (unguided). Curious how you did it.

Thanks.
On my own, own boat with a couple friends.

Fished the 14th, 15th, and. 16th in Rupert. Weather was great and so was the fishing. we fished halibut for a day and a half catching multiple overs before getting everyone's limits. The best I have ever seen it.

Also crabbing was off the charts, lots of big ones!

Glad to hear you had a great trip. Also glad to hear there was no Loony's out with torches and pitch forks.

If my wife can get coverage for work I am heading up Sunday for a weeks fishing.

@ILHG did you end up heading to Prince Rupert? I always enjoy reading your fishing reports!

No I didn't make it. My wife got a herniated disk in her back & is down & out. Could not leave her the way she is.

I am scheduled for June 30th. Its later then I would like, but happy I'm going!

Back