2019 Recovery Measures for Southern Resident Killer Whales

cohochinook

Just got this yesterday from DFO. Please see attached pdf's with further information 2019 Recovery Measures for Southern Resident Killer Whales .

Attachments

• 2019-04-12 SRKW 2019 Proposed Recovery Measures.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 2019-04-12 SRKW 2019 Proposed Recovery Measures.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
My dad was and avid fisherman who lived in southern Ontario and did a lot of salmon fishing in Lake Ontario, Huron, and Michigan. He would visit BC and we would fish Campbell River, Gold River, Port Alberni, Port Refrew, Sooke, and the mouth of the Fraser. Over the years when the fishing in BC started to crash the salmon fishing in the Great Lakes exploded. There he would catch coho after coho while trying to target his daily limit of 4 springs. How many of us can remember throwing back coho after coho because they were just a nuisance here in BC????? Initially a large Great Lakes spring would weigh in around the high teens, now fish in the thirties are regularly being caught. The regulations back east are less and limits larger. The province of Ontario and the states that border on the great lakes fully realize the value of sports fishing and pump tremendous amounts of money into hatcheries and watershed rehabilitation. Something the people in power here could learn from. Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

My dad was and avid fisherman who lived in southern Ontario and did a lot of salmon fishing in Lake Ontario, Huron, and Michigan. He would visit BC and we would fish Campbell River, Gold River, Port Alberni, Port Refrew, Sooke, and the mouth of the Fraser. Over the years when the fishing in BC started to crash the salmon fishing in the Great Lakes exploded. There he would catch coho after coho while trying to target his daily limit of 4 springs. How many of us can remember throwing back coho after coho because they were just a nuisance here in BC????? Initially a large Great Lakes spring would weigh in around the high teens, now fish in the thirties are regularly being caught. The regulations back east are less and limits larger. The province of Ontario and the states that border on the great lakes fully realize the value of sports fishing and pump tremendous amounts of money into hatcheries and watershed rehabilitation. Something the people in power here could learn from. Just my 2 cents worth. ;)
Good thing DFO take their marching orders from Westcoasters :confused:o_O and not that Ontario voting block ;):mad:.

Only had time for a quick glance but is there a bit of trickery here?

The earlier proposed Scenarios were A. Total Closure and B. Hatchery retention... making A unacceptable and trying to make B look acceptable. (I chose C, go find a better solution)
Now in these attachments A shows closure from Sheringham to Renfrew and B shows Otter Point to Renfrew.
Is this to get you hoping for B originally and now hoping you will not notice that Scenario B is worse than A now?

Maybe I just need to review this further when I have more time.

2 different issues Tips.
the one in the current document is SRKW habitat
the other is Fraser Chinook.
they both have A & B scenario's

Where are the closure notices for ''no netting '' on the Fraser river to protect all the salmon were letting through ???? total f#####g joke !!! were going to let them all go through so they can get massacred at the river mouth , BRILLANT !!!!!!! - no mention of what happens when they get to the fraser

Fro
Where are the closure notices for ''no netting '' on the Fraser river to protect all the salmon were letting through ???? total f#####g joke !!! were going to let them all go through so they can get massacred at the river mouth , BRILLANT !!!!!!! - no mention of what happens when they get to the fraser

from the announcement - looks like FN will be sidelined too, at least thats the way i read it...

First Nations food, social and ceremonial fisheries: these fisheries, which have a constitutionally protected priority, will not commence until July 15 – concurrent with the opening of the recreational retention fishery.

They have not done the ones for Whales yet.

Fro

from the announcement - looks like FN will be sidelined too, at least thats the way i read it...

First Nations food, social and ceremonial fisheries: these fisheries, which have a constitutionally protected priority, will not commence until July 15 – concurrent with the opening of the recreational retention fishery.

concurrent with the opening of rec retention for the northern SOG and offshore WCVI. Rec on southern SOG and south vancouver island dont open until Aug 1. Fraser river doesnt open until Aug 23, then they probably close it for Coho protection. Furthermore, what happens when the FN still go out and fish anyways? probably nothing

Don't believe everything you read, especially from DFO.
Their Preferred Pets will continue to have access simply due to zero enforcement.
Want to bet??

Nog

You know it Nog!

Back