2019 Halibut Fishery

Oh hear we go getting negative again. You can sit in negative space or enjoy the fishery this year. No one knows what is going to happen years from now.

Be thankful at least it is open! Look at the guys in USA.

And FYI it doesn't matter who is power. All politicians are the same hate to say.

If you guys pooled all your negative energy together and put it towards helping.....it might make the difference..... cheers

Not sure what you mean here, be happy that we have a fishery this year, and ignore the long term decline? Do you think putting your head in the sand, and being happy for the short term is the solution?

I am confused, are you saying the halibut fishing is on the upswing? Lets look back over the last ten years.

Actually the biomass if fairly healthy if you actually looked at the data. This isn't conservation issue.

The issue is over our TAC% which was increased a while ago. Everyone knows we would like more TAC but that takes time and money. But if you look at the proposed recommendations regulations this year and ask many people seem to be happier with them. It isn't perfect but I would say its something we can work with, and hats off to all the volunteers that made that happen.

So yes I think its pretty lame to start pulling negative card out publicly when we haven't even started the season, but you do what you want.

Anyways I am done on this halibut thread for now going to go fishing. Hope to see some of you guys out in Vic next month.

Actually the biomass if fairly healthy if you actually looked at the data. This isn't conservation issue.

The issue is over our TAC% which was increased a while ago. Everyone knows we would like more TAC but that takes time and money. But if you look at the proposed recommendations regulations this year and ask many people seem to be happier with them. It isn't perfect but I would say its something we can work with, and hats off to all the volunteers that made that happen.

So yes I think its pretty lame to start pulling negative card out publicly when we haven't even started the season, but you do what you want.

You call it negative, I call it realistic. This year we have a decreased TAC, that is a decline in the sport fishery. Thanks to hardworking folks, we have a more workable way of allocating that TAC. It is still a decline. We need to recognize the decline, and work together as sportfisher's to find a solution, not put blinders on because this year should be more palatable than last year, which is only thanks to the new allocation methods.

If we are going to get a March 1 Halibut opening, it would be nice to know before Feb. 28?
Is there a reason why the opening date cannot be announced a week or more before, even if it is March 15 or April 1 or later.

Typical DFO procedure,
little or no notice prior to openings and closures.

I will ask this at our meeting, but it usually has to do with getting all the ducks in row before the opening.

As far as I know it opens March 1st, so you should see something soon. Just have some patience. You also both have an SFAB meeting in Langford/Colwood on the 3rd I believe next week, and suggest you guys go. I wish I could go to that one, but have to get ready for our meeting up here in Nanaimo on the 5th.

Back