2017 Salmon Outlook, via Jeremy Maynard.

OldBlackDog

New post on The Ardent Angler
2017 Salmon Outlook

by Jeremy Maynard
One of the useful initiatives that DFO started some years ago is the development and release late in the fall of a paper called the Salmon Outlook, a first estimate of salmon abundance in the Pacific Region for the year to come, and earlier this month the 2017 Outlook was made public. It really is a high level overview, containing no formal forecasts for those salmon stocks that receive such treatment, for example Fraser sockeye, but it contains provisional escapement estimates in the current year and allows the reader to compare each of the 95 stock aggregates with the ranking given the year prior.

Each stock aggregate, or Outlook Unit as they are described in this paper, is given a 1 to 4 ranking – Stock of Concern, Low, Near Target and Abundant – and because the Outlook Units are comprised of aggregates of individual river salmon stocks many of them are given a split ranking i.e. a 1/2, 3/4 etc. The comments section contains background information on trends in survival and big picture events such as El Nino that affect these, as well as recent escapement levels. Each category ranking has an associated “Fisheries Expectations” providing a generalized description of the potential fisheries consequences of each outlook category. Also, when thinking about fishing opportunities it is important to remember that the Outlook is only about Canadian salmon stocks so in those areas of the coast where US origin fish are significant contributors to the catch they, obviously, aren’t included.

Of all the Canadian salmon stocks that will be present around the southern BC coast in 2017 only four have an unambiguous category 4 ranking and encouragingly three of these are sockeye stocks originating from different parts of the Fraser River watershed. The other category 4 ranking is for Fraser River chum salmon, an important sign for opportunities next fall.

As the most important species to the regional recreational fishery, it will come as no surprise to many readers that chinook and coho salmon are less favourably ranked, with persistent less than great survival trends continuing for many stocks – a range of category 1’s,1/2’s, 2’s and 2/3’s. That said there are some encouraging signs and for example the provisional 2016 escapement estimate for the Interior Fraser coho stock aggregate is a considerable improvement over the disastrous 2015 return and possibly close to the escapement goal of 40,000 fish. With little or no directed fishing for almost 20 years for wild coho in those times and areas in which these fish are thought to be prevalent, this is the stock aggregate around which the management of all salmon fisheries for the other species are structured, in order to minimize their mortality impact on IFR coho.

In general, other than those coho stocks originating in rivers along the west coast of Vancouver Island (WCVI), SBC origin coho seem stuck in a persistent low productivity regime. These fish, once the backbone of the Strait of Georgia recreational fishery, appear to be highly susceptible to even small changes in marine conditions during their first six months at sea. As well, with their extended freshwater residency requiring fry to survive through a complete summer the warming and at times dryer climate is doing these particular salmon no favours even before they make it to the ocean and this is particularly true of fish originating in the countless small streams around the region. Expect coho retention opportunities around the inner south coast to continue to largely depend on hatchery origin fish, identified by a missing adipose fin.

Another encouraging development is the continued rebuilding of the Cowichan River chinook stock, with the 2016 return looking very likely to have reached the spawning escapement target of 6500 adult fish for the first time in almost twenty years. The qualifying words relate to the extended high water this past fall that reduced the ability to monitor the return in-season and work is still underway collecting and analyzing the results of the mark recapture escapement assessment program. All the same there is little doubt that the improving survival trend experienced over the past half-dozen years continued and expanded, complemented with a large return of jacks (age-2) fish, usually a positive sign for the adult return in the year ahead. I am hopeful, if not entirely confident, that this should lead to a relaxation of some of the time and area restrictions in the Strait of Georgia recreational fishery intended to lower the harvest rate on these fish.

And in my home Campbell/Quinsam watershed the chinook return in 2016 is also estimated to be the largest in quite a few years. As a chinook indicator stock under the terms of the Pacific Salmon Treaty with the USA considerable effort is expended to try and account for every fish that returns each year but, as with the Cowichan River, assessment efforts were badly compromised by extended high water flows. Even so DFO is estimating 8,000 chinooks made it back this fall and that is likely a conservative number, although the positives from the increased return will be offset by reduced spawning success due to the high water, and this is especially true in the Campbell River itself.

Over on the WCVI there’s a continuation of the same basic trend for chinook originating in the rivers there that’s been present for quite a few years – wild, mostly smaller river, stocks are stuck in a continuing low abundance regime (Outlook category 1) while the enhanced stocks are doing considerably better with an Outlook category 3 for 2017. One of the important signs for the coming year from the past is that many salmon that went to sea in 2013 did well (age-4 chinooks and chums in 2016) so there should be good numbers of age-5 fish in 2017. It could be the best season in a while for larger chinook salmon both on the west coast and around the inner south coast where these fish may be encountered – Tyee Club fishery participants take note!

Next year should see good numbers of pink salmon around, especially being an odd numbered year there will be a return to the Fraser River, for which stock is given a category 3 ranking. As noted earlier the Fraser chum return is expected to be strong but all the other inner south coast chum stock aggregates have received a category 3 ranking indicating there should be plenty of chum salmon around next fall.

So that’s the preliminary Salmon Outlook for 2017; as escapement information is finalized and additional ocean indicator development takes place the rankings may be adjusted but not likely in a significant way. The emergence of a moderate La Nina ocean climate event this year is good news for salmon survivals so there is quite a bit to be hopeful about for the year ahead.

Jeremy Maynard | December 17, 2016 at 6:31 pm | Categories: Uncategorized | URL: http://wp.me/p7zAr0-3B
Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from The Ardent Angler.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
http://www.theardentangler.com/index.php/2017-salmon-outlook/

b.gif

I place very little stock in any of the DFO's preliminary stock forecasts. The large Chum return this year was a huge surprise, as it was tending downward and average to poor returns were expected this year. They had no real explanation why the returns were unusually large this fall. I'm assuming they are forecasting good returns for the Chum this upcoming season because of the great returns this season. Yet they have no real definitive answer as to why this years returns were so outstanding. That would seem to be pure wishful thinking, with no real scientific reasoning behind it.

Just because a species sees a one season uptick does not necessarily indicate an extended upward trend. As for the WCVI enhanced stocks being good next season, that was what they said this season. Their in season forecasts for the Conuma and Stamp hatchery runs both had to be revised drastically downward when it became evident that they were nowhere near the expected numbers returning. Take any predictions they make with a big sack of salt.

Last edited:
http://www.seattletimes.com/life/ou...fall-chinook-and-coho-are-below-expectations/

Columbia River Chinook were also over estimated by 30%. Looks like Chinook returns to the Columbia next couple of years will be about 30% of the peak a couple years ago.

Reading that article one thing glaringly caught my eye. Up river Columbia bright Chinook Jack's were only 50% of normal this year. As they are a prime indicator of the next year's returns that doesn't bode well for those Columbia Chinook stocks next year. It could be much slimmer Pickens next summer out on the highway for the guys that target those American fish offshore WCVI.

Hey Kelly

I don't care if you don't like me. I'll keep my opinion of you to myself

There was lots of fish and great fishing all along the coast, the fish just weren't in the usual spots. If people didn't get them maybe they should try thinking outside the box? I guess guiding here for 30 years came in handy
All the members who come to our area I always point in the right direction and they all had great trips this year. THEY like me! So do the other Tofino guides , my guests and locals......those are the people I care about

I interpreted the article to mean:

Jack returns were at 50% of the 10 year average, not 50% of the huge 2013 - 2015 returns.
Next years return will be 300,000 or so fish which is about 30% of the 1.2 million fish record.
10 year average is 550,000 fish.

The article also intermixes total returns with upriver bright returns(a subset of total returns) making it a bit difficult to get the true picture. The numbers are available though:

http://www.fpc.org/adultsalmon/adultqueries/adult_table_species_graph.html

FYI; in various posts Fishtofino has said where he was getting fish & what he was getting them on last summer. That's especially generous of him - thanks.

I interpreted the article to mean:

Jack returns were at 50% of the 10 year average, not 50% of the huge 2013 - 2015 returns.
Next years return will be 300,000 or so fish which is about 30% of the 1.2 million fish record.
10 year average is 550,000 fish.

The article also intermixes total returns with upriver bright returns(a subset of total returns) making it a bit difficult to get the true picture. The numbers are available though:

http://www.fpc.org/adultsalmon/adultqueries/adult_table_species_graph.html

FYI; in various posts Fishtofino has said where he was getting fish & what he was getting them on last summer. That's especially generous of him - thanks.

Thank you for clarifying that, and also for the link. That looks like next year could be a big drop in numbers compared to the last few years. If the Jack's are an accurate indicator then numbers could be very poor compared to recent years and below the 10 year average as well. That is not a good sign for next year's Columbia runs.

Port Hardy was great too.

was it?

Area 11 may have been good, with a bit of a grind. check more than 1 source next time, and someone who doesn't do the daily 1.5 -2 hr run beyond cape caution. You may as well call your source a central coast fisher as they fish beyond where most anglers would ever run to. QCI was also good... these guys make it half way there before dropping lines on some days....

Hey Kelly

I don't care if you don't like me. I'll keep my opinion of you to myself

There was lots of fish and great fishing all along the coast, the fish just weren't in the usual spots. If people didn't get them maybe they should try thinking outside the box? I guess guiding here for 30 years came in handy

Condescending. Could be another reason.

Overall coast was slower, main hot spot I heard of was Ukee and Tofino. Only reason I know that is because I heard it on here 123 times from one, maybe two, sources though :D:p

Certain runs on BC coast look decent to strong from reading the forecast while others look poor (mainly Fraser). Up and down forecast, fairly basic year if it works out the way DFO says (unlikely though).

Well Vic

Your pictures on Alberta outdoors said you were rocking it

Reading that article one thing glaringly caught my eye. Up river Columbia bright Chinook Jack's were only 50% of normal this year. As they are a prime indicator of the next year's returns that doesn't bode well for those Columbia Chinook stocks next year. It could be much slimmer Pickens next summer out on the highway for the guys that target those American fish offshore WCVI.
There are a few studies that show predators ate roughly 50% of the run this year.

Back