2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Anybody down South right now with a weather report? I'd rather stay home than dodge the weekend warriors at the cap.

Anybody down South right now with a weather report? I'd rather stay home than dodge the weekend warriors at the cap.

I just went around the light station on my way to Steveston. It's rough but I think you'll be fine if that's your 22+' Bayliner in your profile pic.
Less than 20 boats spread out around the South arm

Sorry if this is a thread highjack. Is there any point in dropping a small tinny (14' with 15hp) in at Porteau or Sunset tomorrow and work the immediate area (outside park boundary) for pinks or anything else? It is rigged with downriggers and a basic sounder.

Sorry if this is a thread highjack. Is there any point in dropping a small tinny (14' with 15hp) in at Porteau or Sunset tomorrow and work the immediate area (outside park boundary) for pinks or anything else? It is rigged with downriggers and a basic sounder.
Yes at porteau for pinks. Good numbers around there yesterday

I just got back from camping at Porteau Cove and Fishing at Furry Creek. Water was nice and calm every day. The fish were there in the mornings. We had most of our luck at 17ft.

Well spent 4-5 hrs trolling around pink apartments towards point Atkinson, released an under sized spring and had 3 other hits that didn't stick. Saw just a handful jumpers and 2-3 nets out. Happy hunting.

Could be..... If RC checks the belly wall - peahead has thicker belly wall. (A taste test would also give away if one of those reds was a peahead! ....sooo sweet!)
That's what we are catching right now at Pender Island, Peaheads. I'll bet they are heading to Fraser. Also Pinks are here but not big numbers at all.

I'm wondering if anyone has crossed the Strait of Georgia today and if so what the wave height is? Seems the weather buoy for halibut bank is down. Will be cruising in a 22-foot sailboat from Howe Sound to Desolation sound tomorrow morning and expecting 20 kt + winds. Thanks!

I'm wondering if anyone has crossed the Strait of Georgia today and if so what the wave height is? Seems the weather buoy for halibut bank is down. Will be cruising in a 22-foot sailboat from Howe Sound to Desolation sound tomorrow morning and expecting 20 kt + winds. Thanks!

The wave hike tomorrow will be much higher than today. I would expect at one point for them to be over 6 feet high, wherever the 25 Northwest is located.
When you encounter a large tide they're going to be even bigger, the tides this week are huge

Managed to bang our way just south of the North arm before we had to turn around and fish the wind back. Not a single bite in 4 hours. Fished to QA and then into the harbour with lots of depths and options. Not a lot of boats out there.

The wave hike tomorrow will be much higher than today. I would expect at one point for them to be over 6 feet high, wherever the 25 Northwest is located.
When you encounter a large tide they're going to be even bigger, the tides this week are huge
Thank you! yeah pretty much not going to do that then :eek: It does look like it's calming down in a day or two.

Last edited:
Fish are on there way just late as usual. Late is the new norm..... get used to it .....
as a commie troller for near 50 yrs... i call BS on your comment.
we had a saying..."late fish never show"
some years are just bad and you gotta roll with it.
Hope you got a limited entry hunting draw to concentrate on , While you WAIT.

Fished point Atkinson to bell boy around and then back this am. Pockets of fish showing and released an under and a dog. But we also caught 3 in the 6-7 In size (Yes length not weight) which surprised me. Not sure what they we're? Any suggestions? Didn't think the ball balls that show on the screen are that size.

no need.... be fishing late into the season as usual..... well into October.......grew up in a family of commie gillnetters and seiners so ill call BS on your comment

There hasn't been human caused CO2 emission global warming delay over the last 50 years, it's new and different from what you're used to.
Fish are late now.
And back on topic, I spent most of the day at sandheads today, caught a Chinook, coho, and 6 pinks, and still have the productive afternoon flood to go.
It definitely seems like the place to be, if you don't mind the chop and current

Last edited:
Back