2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Deepcover, sharpen the **** out of those hooks,
Make em "sticky sharp" check them on the side of your thumb make sure they stick and pull a bit of skin so to speak. Fish shouldnt be falling off so easy unless your hooks arent piercing

The other thing I'm curious about is which rods/reels you're using and how tight do you keep the line. Is your fishing line tight and parallel to your downrigger line? Sometimes people think the line is tight but there is another 10-20 cranks of slack before it's actually tight (also are you using power pro plus downrigger clips clicked to the hard setting and buried?)
The wrong reel might not be able to hold it tight and without creep without setting the drag too tight, which can lose fish when they're unable to run.
Having a good bend on your rod (and a decent rod) will buy you the time you need and help set the hook.
Your gear doesn't need to be expensive, just up to the task, and you'll lose a lot less fish.
And of course the other great advice. Sharp hooks, leader/clip lengths etc.

Fished Ambelside to Point Atkinson on Sat. I was there at 5:30 am and was by myself for the first hour or so.

Had one pin-popper early by Ambelside but it was gone right away.

Saw some action around 10:30 am right out front of the pink apartments. Was texting the wife telling her it was dead and was ready to head home. As I was typing saw the top rod take a nibble. 30 seconds later the boat beside me was hooked up and landed something shiny. A few minutes later the top road popped again but missed it. Reset the gear and as I was getting ready to set the top rod again I had something on the bottom rod. Missed it while I was freeing the top rod. Circled around for another 30-45 minutes but couldn't find them again. I was so frustrated that I missed it!

Was fishing hootchies and spoons at mostly 30' and 60'.

Only saw one fish jump all day - right out front of the Ambelside pier in ~90' of water.

Question for folks that stack rods. I had ~30 feet out on the top rod between the flasher and the clip. I'm guessing there isn't enough tension to get a good hook set. I'm going to check that hook again to see how sharp it is. Any other tips for getting a good set with that much line between the clip and the flashers?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was leaving ~30 feet out on the top rod because I was trolling fairly shallow and I didn't want the gear right under the boat. I also hate getting tangles when stacking. Leaving a bit more between the clip and the flasher on the top rod seems to prevent the bottom line from tangling with the top hook. I guess I'll go back to 10-15'.

Fished Ambelside to Point Atkinson on Sat. I was there at 5:30 am and was by myself for the first hour or so.

Had one pin-popper early by Ambelside but it was gone right away.

Saw some action around 10:30 am right out front of the pink apartments. Was texting the wife telling her it was dead and was ready to head home. As I was typing saw the top rod take a nibble. 30 seconds later the boat beside me was hooked up and landed something shiny. A few minutes later the top road popped again but missed it. Reset the gear and as I was getting ready to set the top rod again I had something on the bottom rod. Missed it while I was freeing the top rod. Circled around for another 30-45 minutes but couldn't find them again. I was so frustrated that I missed it!

Was fishing hootchies and spoons at mostly 30' and 60'.

Only saw one fish jump all day - right out front of the Ambelside pier in ~90' of water.

Question for folks that stack rods. I had ~30 feet out on the top rod between the flasher and the clip. I'm guessing there isn't enough tension to get a good hook set. I'm going to check that hook again to see how sharp it is. Any other tips for getting a good set with that much line between the clip and the flashers?

50% landing ratio on some days with Pinks and Cohos depending on the way they happen to be biting and playing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was leaving ~30 feet out on the top rod because I was trolling fairly shallow and I didn't want the gear right under the boat. I also hate getting tangles when stacking. Leaving a bit more between the clip and the flasher on the top rod seems to prevent the bottom line from tangling with the top hook. I guess I'll go back to 10-15'.

That will help but there are lots of puny 30-40 cm fish which will rattle your rods over there and not hook up or stay hooked up.

Oh the days when it was an advantage to be a productive tax payer.

The best way to get elected is to incentivize the masses to do less and get more.

Works well in the short term.

Trouble is, it also incents those that pay the most taxes to do less or worse yet, leave.

Won't end well.

HITW, Cowan, Point A to fisheries today - no hits... wind was tough on the south side of Bowen but a beautiful day with some good company! Fished a variety of depths speeds and presentations. Will be back out on the weekend to try it again! Anyone else get out today ?

Did the afternoon shift from the cap mouth to PA, not a sniff. Tons of bait and activity on the sounder. Was going to head to S. Bowen but the wind wasn't cooperating in the little boat. Otherwise a great day on the water.

I was hoping DFO would have opened 29-10 and 29-9 for chinook today. Isn't that the norm for aug 1? Did anyone hear anything?

Went out to Sandheads yesterday for the afternoon high slack pretty rough out there bounced around and had no hits. Gonna try to get back out in a couple days. Hopefully water weather improves some

Aug 1st opening is unlikely to happen this year due to the poor and late Fraser sockeye run.

I was hoping DFO would have opened 29-10 and 29-9 for chinook today. Isn't that the norm for aug 1? Did anyone hear anything?
Category(s):

Sent out on July 28:

RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0738-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Area 29 (Fraser River Mouth) - Extension of Management Actions

Further to FN0549, the recreational chinook management measures in effect for
the Fraser River will be further extended past the previously announced July
31, 2017 date.

Effective dates: Effective immediately until further notice.

Waters: Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (Fraser River mouth).

Management Measure: Retention of chinook salmon is not permitted.

These management measures are being implemented given extremely poor returns of
Fraser sockeye and extremely limited sockeye impacts available and to provide
for priority access to chinook for First Nations food, social and ceremonial
harvest opportunities. Overall returns of chinook salmon returning to the
Fraser river have also been very poor to date.

The Department will continue to review and monitor in-season information on a
regular basis to help inform future recreational fisheries management
decisions. Further information on possible recreational fishery opportunities
will be included in weekly Fraser River Panel (FRP) updates. Updated
information will be announced by fishery notice.

Variation Order: 2017-372

Back