2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Was tough to get a good photo as they were running at 30mph. Name on the boat was LunaSea

Attachments

• IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 207
I'm pretty sure I know who runs that boat (Gypsy drifter), I'm going to speak to our marina about them.
I lost a lot of heavy stainless gear last year, seriously had enough of thieves.

Last edited:

The one on my gear yesterday was Gypsea Drifter. What really gets me is judging by the boat they could probably afford to buy their own traps and the time to soak them. But some people are just born a$$hOle$.

Pffft. Why buy a few traps when you can slink around like a scumbag and lift 20+ traps. It ain't the money, they are doing it because everyone just reports them instead of taking care of business.

If u see them pulling get there numbers and keep reporting them.... squeaky wheel gets the greasy..at some point they will get a visit or 2 from DFO....

This is the correct response to the problem of getting your traps cleaned out by others. Any other response will get you into trouble with DFO.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/ORR-ONS-eng.html
One way you can help protect the fisheries is to stop violations before they happen. The watchful eyes of everyone who fishes can deter possible violators. If you see an offence, think ORR: Observe, Record, Report.

Observe what the person is doing. Some common violations are:

• going over the daily limit
  • fishing in a closed area
  • using illegal gear
  • damage to fish habitat and pollution
Record what you observe. As soon as possible, write down what you’ve seen. Include these details:

• the date, time and location (e.g., nearest town, fishing location, stream, address)
  • the violator’s identity or description (e.g., height, weight, hair colour, age, clothing, number of violators)
  • the boat or vehicle description (e.g., vehicle licence, boat registration number, vessel length, colour, make, type, distinguishing features)
  • evidence that might still be at the scene (e.g., catch, fish offal, gear used)
Report the violation. As soon as possible, call:

• DFO’s ORR phone line (1-800-465-4336)
  • BC's RAPP line (1-877-952-7277).

Well I'm just going to throw a canon through his deck if I ever catch him pulling that ****.

Anyhoo we hit another decent sized fish out at the hump today. Same spot as yesterday which was that high point straight south of the SW corner of Bowen. Pretty quiet otherwise.

I'm having trouble seeing anything on my finder though. Can anyone recommend the best settings for a Lowrance Elite 5?

The one on my gear yesterday was Gypsea Drifter. What really gets me is judging by the boat they could probably afford to buy their own traps and the time to soak them. But some people are just born a$$hOle$.
Great name for a boat full of trap-raiding dickheads. The sea has definitely been gypped by these scummy drifters.

I'm having trouble seeing anything on my finder though. Can anyone recommend the best settings for a Lowrance Elite 5?

I have the same unit and couldn't mark any fish in the Bell, QB or the hump this last weekend. It's mainly b/c of the algae bloom and the Fraser pumping mud into the ocean. Try this and see if you get a better result - turn the auto adjustment off in your sonar settings, switch to high chirp and manually adjust the sensitivity to 85 and color definition to 55-60. I hope some experts can give out some better tips.

The DFO of course is responsible for fisheries offenses. BUT if you witness someone stealing gear then that can be handled directly by the port RCMP I do believe; correct me if I'm wrong?
If I see someone pull someone else's gear and keep that gear on their boat I'll be sure to be calling everyone I can in the port like the RCMP, Coast Guard, DFO...whatever it takes and I'll be video taping and taking pictures.

Hard to believe these scum bags have been getting away with this so far without someone knocking them the F out yet at a dock or wherever. Time will run out for them eventually. Not advocating violence but just saying it's bound to happen at some point with these dirt bags picking the wrong people to screw with.

Everyone carry binoculars and if you can, creep around a corner to watch your gear from a far.

Don't mess with the brackish water, fast trolling etc... Set it to General Use. Adjust the sensitivity for both 83 and 200 until you have more "snow" than you think you want.
Save for a better unit, probably with chirp. (that's what I do and am doing)

Back