2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Best part of the trip back was an awesome whale show off the North Arm ... we drifted for 20 minutes and watched a pod circle a sea lion and continuously toss it around. They didn't physically damage it but they emotionally terrorized it. If you look in the centre you may see a brown body bob up and down on occasion. Fascinating to watch the whales just circle and to watch the young whales being taught the ropes. Much better half had the iPhone video going most of the time so I will see if I can link a short snippet via Vimeo (apologies ... the Vimeo link may be a little grainy whereas the original wasn't).

We must have just missed them coming in as we got back into RVYC and no sooner did I have CTV news turned on at home and they were filming them from the air.

Nice day on the water. Limit of crab for the wife and I, no keeper salmon. Floppy the seal followed us most of the day and managed to grab a shaker as we were bringing it up to the boat to release it! We fished from the pink apartments to the freighters and back. Seen one guy fishing right at the Cap mouth as we went back in and he was rinsing his net off.

Mike
Might of been us in a orange kingfisher, we had two nice ones on,managed to get one in,both on a skinny G! love how the winter fish fight!!!

Matthias, did you say you jumped in the water trying to free rigger cable? Damn dude... ballsy (or lack thereof for the time in water).

"Yes honey I'll take a break from fishing for Valentine's Day"

Attachments

• 20170214_183822.jpg
    20170214_183822.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: jdv
Was out Monday and fished hitw and then over around Hutt for a couple hours, but nothing to show for it (except a little founder -released :cool:). Nice day though and managed 5 crabs anyway.

Question on depths for winter fishing depths; do you guys bother to fish anywhere other than say within 10' of the bottom? I am thinking about a lot of areas In Howe sound where it's over 200' deep and it's tough to track the bottom effectively. Is it best to just avoid these deeper areas if you can't get to the bottom, or do you still have success higher up in the water column as long as you mark bait and fish?

Appreciate any response for a rookie winter salmon fisherman like myself

If anyone fished near Hutt island on Sunday, you may have seen a boat struggling with rigger cables in the main prop.
Here's what happened <yes, it was me :( > Light wind, around 1:30pm, with an outgoing flow. Trolling South, and make a starboard turn. Next thing I know, the cable is at a steep angle under the boat and isn't correcting, indicating that it's caught around the main engine leg (not running but in neutral so prop is free to spin. Using 9.9 as kicker). After poking around and jumping in trying to free the cable, efforts were unsuccessful and we ended up needing a tow to thunderbird marina to have the cable removed.
I really don't know how this could have happened, as I've definitely been in stronger currents and made much sharper turns in the past (Cap mouth gong show). So my thoughts are that maybe i slowed down on the turn, allowing the current My thoughts for next time are:
1. Trim main leg all the way up
2. Extend downrigger booms all the way
3. Put main engine in gear so prop can't spin

Would be great to hear some of your thoughts, and input on how to avoid/react if this happens.

Matt
use 20LB balls, since I've switched over I can turn fairly tight and no worries of tangles or Prop interference at all on either of the twins,
the 20's stay nice and deep and track very well

Matthias, did you say you jumped in the water trying to free rigger cable? Damn dude... ballsy (or lack thereof for the time in water).

Ya I always carry a wetsuit in the boat in case something like this happens. Still, hands and feet didn't enjoy it. It has saved me before when someone didn't attach a weight to their crab trap and left 30ft of line floating on the surface..

@Hookin' up. Thanks for suggestion. Do you have Scotty 1106s? If so do they have troubles retrieving a 20lb ball?

Quick question: I always put the motor in neutral when dropping prawn traps but have heard of others who keep the motor in gear. I'm always nervous dropping line with the prop turning, but maybe I'm missing something?

If you're dropping more than one trap and/or a weight close to the trap(s) it will ensure separation between the traps/weight.
Now that makes sense...thanks for that clarification!

Ya I always carry a wetsuit in the boat in case something like this happens. Still, hands and feet didn't enjoy it. It has saved me before when someone didn't attach a weight to their crab trap and left 30ft of line floating on the surface..

@Hookin' up. Thanks for suggestion. Do you have Scotty 1106s? If so do they have troubles retrieving a 20lb ball?
no I have HP's, I believe yours are only rated to haul 15lber but I'm sure someone on here can clarify

Is the point that it drops faster or...?
Like Big Bruce said you get separation but it's also a quicker drop so you can move on to your next set and get the rods in the water quicker rather than waiting for traps to sink. You'll get the hang of it after a few drops and figure out what you prefer.

no I have HP's, I believe yours are only rated to haul 15lber but I'm sure someone on here can clarify

The way I read it looks like they all can handle the 20#. I'm also curious how the 1106 performs with 18 & 20's(I run 15's still with mine).

Attachments

• Scotty+downrigger+comparison+chart.jpg
    Scotty+downrigger+comparison+chart.jpg
    820.7 KB · Views: 50
The 1106 are only rated up to 15# by Scotty. I've attached 2017 brochure where they they make the distinction between the HP's and Depthpower models at the bottom....or maybe a marketing ploy to upgrade!?

Attachments

• scotty dr.PNG
    scotty dr.PNG
    224.4 KB · Views: 35
I run the same 18s as Hans on my 1106's. So far cracked a spool and the brake lever springs wear out quick. I'm always messing with them ever since I started running the 18s lol

I know its another 3rd the weight again, but does the extra 5 lb make enough of a difference to upgrade DR's?

Back