2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Late start to the season this year for me but finally got the boat on the water yesterday - what an awesome day! Had two guys from the office that hadn't caught salmon before. Fished Cowen Pt, then briefly at the Hump, then over to Roger Curtis. Managed 3 nice fish and the guys lost several other good ones. Released 4 in the five pound range. Best success was on anchovies. Hit fish at varying depths between 60 thru 100'. Also ran deeper at times down to 130' but no hits below 100'. Had a hit on a homeland security spoon that didn't stick & also towed the kitchen sink around for a while. Each fish had several anchovies in its stomach. Had a few killer whales show up and cruise slowly around us for a while - great bonus for the guys I had out. And it didn't seem to bother the fish at all as we continued to get hits. Attached pictures were taken of us from my friends boat - they also had great success out there yesterday. Best place on earth :)!!

Nice work! What time were you out there Saratoga? Curious whether you were there for low slack.

Thanks Blueback - Yes started at Cowan around 9am and fished the ebb there, the Hump, and the last of the ebb at Roger Curtis. Went quiet for us around the low slack for about 60-90 mins & then the bite picked up again once the flood started. Bite was fairly consistent on either side of the slack.

Ended up with one at Roger Curtis at slack this afternoon. Right off the marker in 250' of water, 110' on the rigger and on a skinny g. There were tons of boats at Popham Island this morning as I passed it to pick up my buddy in Gibsons. I stupidly fell into line and wasted 3 hours there before picking up and heading to Bowen.

I did manage to get four burgers just before slack on sesame seed buns cooked at 400 degrees on a Sea-B-Que with Kraft Regular BBQ sauce. They didn't put up much of a fight.

Last edited:
Good action at Porlier all weekend. Galiano
derby was a blast. 87-137' on riggers worked well for us. Chovys and hoochies both killing it. 15ish pounds won the derby! Size average seems better off the East side of the strait. Nice to finally get rewarded with this weather for that winter/spring we got served!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 83
Gong show getting into McDonald boat launch right now. Lines down the river should of stayed out and fished

we fished 630 to 1130 at Roger Curtis. Picked up a 20lb white followed by a 9 lb red a few minutes later while attempting a picture. Both came on a homeland spoon at 115ft. Those were our only hits. First time netter made it interesting on the 20.

Good action at Porlier all weekend. Galiano
derby was a blast. 87-137' on riggers worked well for us. Chovys and hoochies both killing it. 15ish pounds won the derby! Size average seems better off the East side of the strait. Nice to finally get rewarded with this weather for that winter/spring we got served!

Is their roe and milt sacs developed? Seems like most of those fish seem to be next years fish.

Back