2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

IMG_0425.JPG
Couple of nice lings today, then released two jacks. Going to start earlier in the morning. Springs first.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 167
Still fish around in the Vanc. harbour area - this girl (assuming the pic loads) came home with me. 60' in 75' of water, using anchovies. Freezer officially full, so catch and release until I make some room - tough "problem" to have :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170510_131730.jpg
    IMG_20170510_131730.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 155
How was it out there - fishing the harbor tomorrow, slack at 1:30
Slow. Had a couple hits but they didn't stick. Tons of bait at the surface by the QE but seemed busier closer to the bell riding the tide line. Worst part was I got skunked on prawns, I think the girlfriend is getting a little too creative with the bait ;)

IMG_0439.JPG 6 am bite at thrasher before I got the second rod in then nothing for a few hours. Went in for brunch about 10. Started fishing lings at 11:30, had our two buy 11:45. Trolled up another keeper around 2 after releasing 3 under. Had most of the action on an army truck.

Fished high slack at QB today w a few other boats. Not a sniff for me. Didn't notice any other boats w nets out. Any luck anyone?

Well, my observation is that Thrasher has really slowed down over the last week. From consistent bites throughout the day, to onesie, twosies and bites lasting only an hour or so, it seems like the red hot days have stopped (hopefully just temporarily). In the past, the last few weeks of May have usually produced good numbers, so I'm assuming it will turn on again soon.
Hopefully my observations aren't reflecting reality, and that people are still on them, but for now, it's tough to justify a run across when you can get SIMILAR results locally. (similar, not the same).
Just sharing my thoughts here at work trying to get a discussion started :D.

Heading out at 1, planned to fish the qa but also curious as to how hole in the wall has been fishing, any reports?

commercial prawners are out in howe sound in force today! pretty wet opening day for them

To be honest, I haven't had a good haul of prawns for two years anyways....

No doubt prawn numbers are down from previous years however we still do well regardless of commies, here is what we do that may or may not help some guys out there.

1. We never mix fishing with prawning, its one or the other as there is not enough time in a day.

2. Have a minimum of 6 traps, we made our own during the winters using 5/8 coil rod for hoops.

3. Nets should have minimum 4 openings.

4. Traps need enough weight so float does not make them move in choppy water.

5.No bait with eyeballs like fish heads

6. Bait needs to be a combination of milking and food they will stay and eat. Chopped up fish and fish guts soaked in fish oils will attract and tough old chicken skin keeps them eating in the trap. Pack this mixture as tight as possible in bait holder then freeze overnight.

7. Don't forget bait in freezer.

8. 250- 350 is the ideal depth

9. We have located spots the commies do not fish , likely because of the dropoffs into very deep water of Howe Sound. It takes time to find these spots and they are small but packed with prawns. Also prawns will leave traps to go to others that present a better bait.

10. If you don't have an electrictric trap puller you are losing half the prawns on the way up.

11. First time out we pull after 2 hours, rebait with oily stuff and leave for another 2-3 hours.

Back