2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Not so right now Big Guy. The RCMP are out there and have been for weeks....they're watching you and you don't even know it. They just busted a commercial crab poaching op and have been after some "unCanadians" shall we say.

Depends on what you mean by "few"....on a nice day at this time of year there could be 40-50 boats out in Howe Sound easily and I know that I have already counted a day when 25 were counted in 2 spots just by myself. Never mind the regulars who check their traps every couple of days from Sunset, Eagle Harbour, Fisherman's Cove, Horseshoe Bay, Bowen, etc etc. I know 2 individuals who leave theirs out and should not but they play the odds.

I used to go prawning with a bunch of buddies and with 5-6 of us on board we would put down 20-24 traps on occasion. The goal was to fill a garbage can with Prawns but we never did....

The best we ever did in one day was about 1200....and some days 1000.... some days much fewer with just 500 which was disappointing given how much work it was.

We only did that on a few occasions.
I'll take your word for it FM on the sporties in Howe Sound. I haven't been up there, I'm just going by the boat traffic in the Harbour. It surprises me there's that many guys on the water in Howe Sound.

people need to keep on keeping on and with the allure of the west coast life
style one could only hope to fulfill the
fantasies and prestige that we have
fallen so deeply in love with.

Unfortunately there are multiple
downsides.....condos being one

I'll take your word for it FM on the sporties in Howe Sound. I haven't been up there, I'm just going by the boat traffic in the Harbour. It surprises me there's that many guys on the water in Howe Sound.

Go for a ride and burn some fuel...Howe Sound gets a lot of trolling pressure. Weekends have plenty of boats out.

Almost ridiculous but there are multiple fish for most recently. Troll until 11 along the Wall, phone in a Takeout Fish and Chips Order and hot coffees, pick up and head right back out and drop lines and start trolling up the wall. Spoons 70-140 have been killin' it. When the Vancouver guys are running into the sound you know it's good. Even the Horseshoe Bay folks are getting started right behind the ferries.

HITW to Sunset has been very good the last few days....Tunstall has fish too...although a lot further...and the guys going deeper have been rewarded too. Howe Sound has lots of bait.

Fish get predictable and hold along structure...otherwise they can swim any direction elsewhere...and it's out of the wind unless there is an outflow.

Almost doesn't seem worth the trip with the cost of fuel, the amount of time it takes and the weather hazards. Thanks for the recommendations regarding the wind - usually don't go out if I see anything 10 knots or more, just too lumpy.

It's worth it if the forecast is for light winds and the fishing is red hot and nothing is going on this side.

Make a day of it...and if you a buddy boat to go across with it is good too...it helps with everything. When fishing is what I call "good" at Thrasher you don't have to fish on structure.... you can be offshore and typically get fish from 85-175 feet. If the popular area on the south side of the reef is congested with boats it can be a bit of a parking lot.

Otherwise, consider that guides go over for a 10 hour day (1 hour each way so 8 hours rod time) and they sometimes come back with 2-4 Chinook of which many may only be 12-14 pounds....some days some are smaller and some days some get into the higher teens.

Each year is different....

your boat is tight ,some guy was
held for over an hour by the catamaran ...

Boat is tight.? Does that just mean make sure you're following regs?
Pinched hooks, fishing/boating license, safety equipment and hiding your Hey Y'all's, anything else in particular to be cognizant of?

Boat is tight.? Does that just mean make sure you're following regs?
Pinched hooks, fishing/boating license, safety equipment and hiding your Hey Y'all's, anything else in particular to be cognizant of?
He's referring to all safety gear, boaters license, insurance, no open booze yada yada yada

I've been boarded twice this year and they are cool guys just wanted to see a few things and listened to a few tunes and they went on to the next boat ! I'm all for them to keep us safe and keep people honest !!

Out of curiosity how do they feel about beer on the boat? Fishing is pretty social and the occasional pop is part of the experience. Do they tend to look the other way when they see a beer or two on a bucket or are they pretty aggro with beverages on the water?

Out of curiosity how do they feel about beer on the boat? Fishing is pretty social and the occasional pop is part of the experience. Do they tend to look the other way when they see a beer or two on a bucket or are they pretty aggro with beverages on the water?
Depends I think on the whole experience for them when they board your vessel, however drinking and driving is drinking and driving.

We were pulled over in Port Renfrew last year with open beers and the officer checked our gear and one spring. he told us to go easy on the beers and was gone without further conversation. We were on our 1st beer and he knew we were OK at that point. I have one max since I control the boat. Other guys can have a couple but no drunks allowed.

We were pulled over in Port Renfrew last year with open beers and the officer checked our gear and one spring. he told us to go easy on the beers and was gone without further conversation. We were on our 1st beer and he knew we were OK at that point. I have one max since I control the boat. Other guys can have a couple but no drunks allowed.

coming from a dumbass Croation with a few encounters over the years , ive been pretty lucky ,
and maybe even too lucky ,
#1 make sure you have all documents needed on board ,and up to date ! all safety gear t , lifejackets etc..dont give them a reason to look any further
if ya get passed this , and the "boys" dont see anyone bein disrespectful , or acting like dumb asses , you should be ok ,
ive been told this once or twice by them , out of site ! out of mind !!
as Getbent said , drinking and driving is drinking and driving.
the Driver legally cant even have one beer , in any motor vehicle , its the law.
trust me , i learned the hard way... the one guy that is not drinking ,
tis he guy they want behind the wheel ( with poc of coarse , be careful with this ! ), the others indulging , consider it a bonus while the boat is under power
you are drinking in a public place !!

here at a few of the yahoo ramps ( pitt river ), the cops wait to see you get in your vehicle to load your rig , , if ya had a few , they will get ya right there !!
seen this a few times last summer. not fun watching your boat and trailer getting towed ,

m2b

fd

Back