2016 Sooke Reports

View attachment 28468 Here is photo of the trailer parking spots at Prestige yesterday morning.
6 out of 8 trailer spots taken by hotel guests.
This is a joke. There is absolutely no inforcement there.
I refuse to pay if I end up parking on street because if this.

If it makes you feel better judging by the pile of white paint and plastic shreds that white SUV was can openered pretty good when HE backed along MY parked trailer.

What bugs me is that also park in the longest spots which are fewer in number to begin with.

So is there anything to report???? Guys & Girls.
Gone for 3 weeks, so fill me in.

Out from three to eight pm.
Fished Aldridge to the trap. pretty windy out there but the water was not too bad. Fished bait, AP herring spoon, Lurecharge Army Truck spoon, and green Hootchie. Depths 20-140 feet in close to shore and farther out. nothing but shakers for us.

Out yesterday and trolled from Frazer Island to Aldrige and back from 9:30 - noon. Saw one, quite good size, hook up in the boat next to us (jerk :p) but nothing else. One bait-steal for us, but nothing else. Used almost everything I have in the tacklebox at every depth but couldn't find the right combination.

Bait everywhere and loads of fish showing up though. Kinda makes it more disappointing ;)

Went out today from 7:30am until 2:15pm to see if any fish are around yet.

Trolled along the 85’ contour from the Harbour Mouth past the Bluffs and Trailer Park and along the east side of Otter. Then all the way back to Secretary along the 140’ contour with only one shaker and the inevitable rockfish and baby ling cod to show for the round trip. Arrived back there at 2:00pm. We decided to give Possession one pass before packing up and just as I said “Well things had better improve for the Saturday Derby or few fish will be weighed in” my rod went off. Got the fish to 30yards from the boat, saw him turn and roll, then away he went on a run. Got him back to within 10 yards and shake and roll and he was gone. I estimate mid to high teens.

So the bad news is I have to wait a bit longer for my first fish of the season. The good news is I now know there is at least one fish out there and maybe he will still be around for Saturday!! LOL:)

Jellyfish teaser head (appropriate for all the jellies out there constantly fouling the lines) and Betsy flasher at 120’.

Went for a short trip from 4:30 to 6:30 around Secretary tonight. Nothing. Seems like someone checked my crab traps for me though, bait all gone, not a single crab and 1 of the 3 traps has been taken.

In regards to parking - how about this boat that decided to anchor up in middle of the entrance to the harbour tonight ??
IMG_20160711_183111.jpg

Hey guy dabell. Pretty sure it's Otters stealing your bait. Last year I had a big Chinook head stuffed into the bait cage in my trap and it had been completely removed. Trap in the same spot. Might have to put a GoPro down there and see what is really going on.

Took my girls out fishing today first time I have been out in a while due to work and the wind. Got out around 9 am and tried Whirl Bay for a pass but no love. Hit a double header off Bedford Islands but both me and my daughter lost our fish. They both weren't that big. We trolled our way over to Aldridge Point and then down to Beechy Head. Fishing was kind of slow so my daughter made me a bet that if we got a fish between 75 cm and 85 cm I would take them for ice cream after fishing. I could feel a skunk coming on so I agreed, 10 mins later the rod goes off and after a great fight she nets a 16 pounder coming in at 83 cm. The girls were stoked because now they get ice cream, so I made them another bet if we get one more between 75 cm and 85 cm I will take them go karting in Langford. 20 mins later rod goes off and after another good fight we land an 18 pounder coming in at 84 cm. My oldest daughter was on the net and was having a blast. After landing the second fish she looked at me and said "Oh my god was that ever exciting"..It is great to see them get hooked on fishing like I was when I was their age. I got both fish on Anchoivy at 60 feet. Green flasher, one bloody nose teaser head the other one glow pearl teaser. A great day that I will remember forever.

Been fishing the head for 30 years but still a noob.

Struggle is real for me this year but had a couple great days so far and still have fish in my freezer! Not going hungry yet and my last trip out was 3 hours long and had two double headers and two were decent other two shakers.

All good - and my anchovy packs are lasting a bit longer which is a BONUS. Keeping the faith.

Took my girls out fishing today first time I have been out in a while due to work and the wind. Got out around 9 am and tried Whirl Bay for a pass but no love. Hit a double header off Bedford Islands but both me and my daughter lost our fish. They both weren't that big. We trolled our way over to Aldridge Point and then down to Beechy Head. Fishing was kind of slow so my daughter made me a bet that if we got a fish between 75 cm and 85 cm I would take them for ice cream after fishing. I could feel a skunk coming on so I agreed, 10 mins later the rod goes off and after a great fight she nets a 16 pounder coming in at 83 cm. The girls were stoked because now they get ice cream, so I made them another bet if we get one more between 75 cm and 85 cm I will take them go karting in Langford. 20 mins later rod goes off and after another good fight we land an 18 pounder coming in at 84 cm. My oldest daughter was on the net and was having a blast. After landing the second fish she looked at me and said "Oh my god was that ever exciting"..It is great to see them get hooked on fishing like I was when I was their age. I got both fish on Anchoivy at 60 feet. Green flasher, one bloody nose teaser head the other one glow pearl teaser. A great day that I will remember forever.
That sounds like it was an epic trip for all of you.Love hearing about your kids excitement.Brings back memories of trips
with my Dad when I was alot younger.They wont ever forget it either!

Went out with Chero in his tub IMG_5872.jpg last week for a 7 hr troll - started at Sheringham and ended at the Head. No bite's, no hit's, - i did manage to get a good pic of Chero eating his lunch on the boat, - Thanks for the boat ride Colin, good day , all in all i guess!

Reactions: RBL
Fished Pedder 7-11 to hide from the wind today. Slow. One small keeper went back. AP sandlance and madi. Some fish around for sure there, just couldn't get them to bite. Kept it in tight to shore.

Fished Aldridge to the trap shack this morn just one small that I threw back an 2 hits lots of boats not a lot of nets out . Beautiful day on the water though beats the hell out of work

Went out with Chero in his tub View attachment 28562 last week for a 7 hr troll - started at Sheringham and ended at the Head. No bite's, no hit's, - i did manage to get a good pic of Chero eating his lunch on the boat, - Thanks for the boat ride Colin, good day , all in all i guess!

Chero boat shot a few weeks ago...

Attachments

• 20160531_123937.jpg
    20160531_123937.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 102
Back